The Labour Government

Your in-laws can't retire on a state pension until they are 67 either can they? FWIW I agree that benefits like the fuel allowance should be means tested.
Surely if they wanted a quick fix fair solution they could have taken the benefit away from anyone that was of pensionable age and pays the higher rate of tax?

Still that involves a level of detailed compassionate thinking so that rules out two tier Keir.

I am one of those hypocrites you refer to. The point is that it is your money that you are leaving and your children you are leaving it to. My view is that if I can't spend then it should at least be my kids that enjoy the fruits of my labour and not as you quite rightly put it "some stranger"

I get the wanting them to stand on their own two feet but surely better to give them a helping hand rather than hand it to the goverment to waste.
Almost everyone recognises that right though, including the government, which is why inheritance tax isn't 100%. "Giving it to the government to waste" just isn't a serious argument, because you could use that to argue against any tax ever. 3.73% of deaths in the UK resulted in inheritance tax, and the majority of the money raised comes from people who have already given their kids a decent leg up in life. But apparently, that wasn't enough and they need another leg up in their 50s or 60s too. A far bigger injustice is the prospect of ordinary people having to give up their savings and sell their property to pay for their elder care. That's a typical example of the government reneging on its responsibilities, and that's the sort of 'inheritance tax' that I'd rather focus my anger on, rather than something that almost exclusively affects people who can easily afford it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.