The Labour Government

I get the tories have left the country in a bad state and labour might have to make cuts or tax rises, but the message so far from labour has been so negative and gloomy.

Obviously there aren’t easy answers, but where’s the positive vision for what labour want to do?

It’s already getting a bit tiring hearing the same repackaged austerity messages we’ve heard before or constant comparisons to the last terrible government.

There have been a few moments where I do think they have shown up the tories, but I don’t think that’s difficult.
It’s been the summer recess. It’s always quieter in August.

Parliament returns soon along with conference season. Whatever they are cooking will come out soon.

It’s been the summer recess. It’s always quieter in August.

Parliament returns soon along with conference season. Whatever they are cooking will come out soon.
Obviously it’s early days, but quite a lot has happened over the last 7 weeks. It just felt like I was listening to George osbourne complaining about labour, when listening to starmers speech.

I think labour need to be more positive or at least outline their vision and things they will carry out going forward

Obviously it’s early days, but quite a lot has happened over the last 7 weeks. It just felt like I was listening to George osbourne complaining about labour, when listening to starmers speech.

I think labour need to be more positive or at least outline their vision and things they will carry out going forward
We shall see. Reeves is the one that concerns me more than Starmer.

You know there are a lot of people who critisce the Muslim community for various things but I’ve never seen an elderly one in care, all the care homes I visited were full of “white” people, they look after their elderly, they buy a bigger house or extend or buy two and knock through. They know once they’ve gone then they will move into that part and so on and so on. What you’ve done is what I if I have to do will do, I couldn’t put either of my parents in a hime and as long as I can do it I’ll bloody well have them. Now I know not everyone can do it, especially when it comes to dementia, but far too many are happy to turn their parents off into a home.
Well said, it's very similar in Spain and Italy as well, elderly care is not at the same level as the UK, many elderly people live with family. I planned for looking after my parents when we bought our house which is on the same Avenue as my parents, I knew the day would come where there'd only be one of them so living very close by made it a lot easier. I did suggest to my Dad we buy a house with his own space so I didn't have to worry about him on his own but his memories of my Mum were in that house, he wouldn't move.

As an aside I sold the house to a mate of mine, he's ripped everything out if the house and Garden, it's like a show home, found some very emotional photos, letters and memorabilia in the loft area.

Yep.

This is one of the reasons I *think* they might leave pensions alone, bar a bit of minor tinkering.

If think major IHT and capital gains tax changes are nailed on though. Only "rich" people have a £1m home don't they, and they don't vote Labour anyway. They can just announce in the small print that they are changing the rules on surving spouses inheriting their deceased partner's allowance, which at a stroke would reduce the zero rate band from £1m to £500k and generate take an extra £200k from those with £1m homes. They would not even have to mention the figures in the budget speech, just position it as a minor change that hardly affects anyone.

No they don't .... there are many pensioners who are asset rich but cash poor. They live in homes that have massively increased in value simply because of the location ..

I get the tories have left the country in a bad state and labour might have to make cuts or tax rises, but the message so far from labour has been so negative and gloomy.

Obviously there aren’t easy answers, but where’s the positive vision for what labour want to do?

It’s already getting a bit tiring hearing the same repackaged austerity messages we’ve heard before or constant comparisons to the last terrible government.

There have been a few moments where I do think they have shown up the tories, but I don’t think that’s difficult.

To be fair, it's expectation management and the Tories were still blaming Labour for the financial crisis in 2008 as recently as Spring this year.

I will add though, that while it is fine for Labour to manage expectations and rightly blame the Tories, we need them to develop a radical plan and vision to get us out of this hole and share it with the public. It's easy being a critic.

I notice now there is a row about the staffing of key posts in the No.10 unit. Plus ca change.
I suspect the objections are coming from the same people who had no problem with Dominic Cummings running the country from number 10 while Johnson wrote his book in between bunga bunga parties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.