The Labour Government

The staff are working their arses off , is he telling nurses and doctors that they should work harder ffs
Most are no doubt. My sister certainly is and always has. However there are one or two in her office that are clearly playing the system and are off sick and then return to work the day their pay gets reduced. Work for the required time and then go off sick again with some made up illness. It annoys the hell out of my sister and the others., but the management do nothing about it. There is also a lot of needless duplication certainly between NHS Trusts.

I get that there are problems to fix, but I wonder how long we are going to hear the excuse that it is down to the last Government.

Apparently they can't pay postmasters and the delay is down to the last government?

Its getting a bit tedious already. The buck now stops with you Starmer, you need to own it.
Bang on the money.

No he is telling them to increase productivity which is quite different. Work smarter not harder. See my post on bed blocking. Darzi also talked about digitisation, a key to productivity. My local hospital where I am a ENT patient, keeps my treatment record in paper files. It’s C21, FFS!
Appointments are patient driven but I can’t even email them.
PS EDIT. The treatment is excellent once they respond to my voice mails.

And resistance to change is often why it is like it. Yours is not a unique experience. It’s all well and good saying work smarter but quite another to make them do so.

I work in the public sector and have done since 1981.
"Front line" stuff, dealing with the public.

It's undoubtedly hard and the expectations of the Department I work in has changed beyond recognition over the years.

To be honest the Blair years were the best in what was being implemented. A real effort towards trying to understand and addressing the reasons "why" some of the public found it difficult to move forward. It was like a breath of fresh air.

I honestly believe that approach, and also their desire to curtail staff absences due to sickness, were excellent.

It's undoubtedly hard and the expectations of the Department I work in has changed beyond recognition over the years.

To be honest the Blair years were the best in what was being implemented. A real effort towards trying to understand and addressing the reasons "why" some of the public found it difficult to move forward. It was like a breath of fresh air.

I honestly believe that approach, and also their desire to curtail staff absences due to sickness, were excellent.
Agreed.

I get that there are problems to fix, but I wonder how long we are going to hear the excuse that it is down to the last Government.

Apparently they can't pay postmasters and the delay is down to the last government?

Its getting a bit tedious already. The buck now stops with you Starmer, you need to own it.
It’s not that simple though due to legislation, HMRC etc etc. Firefghters are still waiting on pensions owed, the government were told to do this 2 years ago, then there were tax issues which new legislation had to be drawn up, guess what parliament was dissolved before it could ho through, there are thousands waiting on tens of thousands of pounds in missing pensions. Only two weeks ago was an agreement made that these payments could be made before the legislation was ratified a gentleman’s agreement if you like something those tory wankers kept dragging their feet with, hopefully everyone can be paid before the April 2025 deadline but theres such a backlog it could take longer, and then there’s the rest of the public sector pensions to sort out then, plus the compensation claims. This was all caused by them twats and Labour have been in power a few months but have sorted it already.

Blair and Brown gave hope. I worked in town and within a couple of years the homeless people (not as many as now) slowly disappeared due to their policy. No government is going to be universally liked and not make errors but in my lifetime they were the pick of the bunch. Any British government will back the USA as we would have been speaking German without them. Unfortunately 9/11 happened and thus Iraq and Afghanistan. Too early to judge at present but time will be the reveal. Just my take and I am no prof.

Blair and Brown gave hope. I worked in town and within a couple of years the homeless people (not as many as now) slowly disappeared due to their policy. No government is going to be universally liked and not make errors but in my lifetime they were the pick of the bunch. Any British government will back the USA as we would have been speaking German without them. Unfortunately 9/11 happened and thus Iraq and Afghanistan. Too early to judge at present but time will be the reveal. Just my take and I am no prof.
I can understand and agree with much of that.
We started to see many from those regions, as you say. Many of their stories were horrible.
Yet I always remember a booked Interpreter (this was in the days when they appeared in person, for a face to face interview for the person involved) refusing to do it. They told us (the staff) "do you really understand who you have here? He is a murderer"

I guess I'm just trying to show the complexities of what was going on at that time, but yes that Government did try initially to sort out the issues of the country. And then shit happened, and it all went to pot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.