The Leicester City Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you were GDM. Of course you were. ;-)

Been looking in to that Forest title winning team and found this showing league appearances for 77-78... http://www.worldfootball.net/team_performance/nottingham-forest/eng-premier-league-1977-1978/

2l9td79.png

What stands out for me is the number of substitutions (only 10 all season in 42 games) and yellow/red cards at zero?!

I know Cloughie emphasised fair play but is that right? No bookings or sendings-off all season?
That and the 2 ex-City greats, Ian Bowyer and Colin Barrett.

Also only 15 outfield players used. Tiredness? Pah!

Don't forget that they also won the League Cup that year too.

Stunning even now.

If Leicester even get close to that, these days, then it's a phenomenal achievement. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the FA Cup...
Ian Bowyer should be salutary lesson to some blues about patience when it comes to players, but it won't, of course.

By using my incredible powers of mental arithmetic I'm assuming John Middleton was their No2 'keeper. Am I correct in recalling that Shilton was signed after the season started? If so, certainly a case of final piece in the jigsaw.

By using my incredible powers of mental arithmetic I'm assuming John Middleton was their No2 'keeper. Am I correct in recalling that Shilton was signed after the season started? If so, certainly a case of final piece in the jigsaw.

Yes, Stoke had gone down the previous season and wanted to keep Shilton for a promotion fight. In those days, star players did often stay after relegation - Channon at Saints and Brooking at West Ham spring to mind. However, Stoke got off to a bad start and Shilton was utterly disillusioned so they bowed to the inevitable, selling him after Forest had played five games. I've read several Clough biographies and one (I can't remember which) suggested that Clough and Taylor were delighted to find out about a defeat for Stoke at Mansfield early that season because it might put Shilton within their grasp.

Middleton, whose five appearances for Forest that season were those first five games, was a decent enough 'keeper, and IIRC was the England under-21 choice at the time. However, he wasn't in Shilton's class and he joined Derby when the new signing arrived. This left the young Chris Woods as back-up, and he played in the League Cup run because Shilton was cup-tied.

Of course you were GDM. Of course you were. ;-)

Been looking in to that Forest title winning team and found this showing league appearances for 77-78... http://www.worldfootball.net/team_performance/nottingham-forest/eng-premier-league-1977-1978/

2l9td79.png

What stands out for me is the number of substitutions (only 10 all season in 42 games) and yellow/red cards at zero?!

I know Cloughie emphasised fair play but is that right? No bookings or sendings-off all season?
That and the 2 ex-City greats, Ian Bowyer and Colin Barrett.

Also only 15 outfield players used. Tiredness? Pah!

Don't forget that they also won the League Cup that year too.

Stunning even now.

If Leicester even get close to that, these days, then it's a phenomenal achievement. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the FA Cup...
The discipline stat is surprising. But these days you get sent off for tackles no one would blink at in the olden days.

Boots weren't like slippers either, which gave extra foot protection. Pads were bigger also. But there do seem to be a lot more muscle injuries these days. Not sure what that is all about. I bet part of the answer will be a more routine use of injections to play when unfit back in the day.

Amazing achievement. Really chuffed for them. I hope they finish in the top 4 as we've had the same top 4 for donkey's years.. last time it was broken was little old Everton 10 + years ago so it was due !

This will prove the dream is still attainable with the right team spirit, feck spending a shedload on mercenary footballers. Spirit is what matters.

The Premier League need Leicester to finish in the top 4 to give everyone else hope who gets promoted, on a shoestring budget etc, would be a great marketing ploy for them.

All the naysayers who say they will fade away in the 2nd half of the season? feck off !! negative bastards who can't enjoy a good classical football Romance story of an underdog.. there is no evidence to suggest that will happen as they have been saying the bubble will burst for months !!!

Amazing achievement. Really chuffed for them. I hope they finish in the top 4 as we've had the same top 4 for donkey's years.. last time it was broken was little old Everton 10 + years ago so it was due !

This will prove the dream is still attainable with the right team spirit, feck spending a shedload on mercenary footballers. Spirit is what matters.

The Premier League need Leicester to finish in the top 4 to give everyone else hope who gets promoted, on a shoestring budget etc, would be a great marketing ploy for them.

All the naysayers who say they will fade away in the 2nd half of the season? feck off !! negative bastards who can't enjoy a good classical football Romance story of an underdog.. there is no evidence to suggest that will happen as they have been saying the bubble will burst for months !!!

Yea. As a Brit, rooting for the underdog is in my DNA. Happy for them to finish one spot below us.

The old top 4 was last broken by little old City actually, after spuds had managed to do it once...

I'm not having that. There's no way Forest could have gone an entire season without anyone getting booked, especially with Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns in the team, even back in the more agricultural 1970's.
Good point. Maybe it was other seasons or with Brum but I distinctly recall Burns having some pretty robust moments.

I'm surprised Raineri isn't linked to top jobs he's a great manager and out-foxed Jose which is no mean feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.