The Leicester City Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think comparisons with Forest are a little wide of the mark.

That Forest squad from 1978-80 contained two arguably world class players in Shilton and Francis as well as the likes of Gemill, McGovern and Robertson who were hugely accomplished players who would have been coveted by most other leading clubs. I'm not entirely true that's the case to the same extent at Leicester. There are some parallels, not least Vardy's narrative, as many of that Forest team were people who found success relatively late in their careers such as Kenny Burns (iirc).

I know this hasn't found favour with other posters, but I'd be genuinely chuffed if they won the league. We're not going away and as long as we finish top three this season, then with all that's going on at the club our future is brighter than any other in England - and possibly by some distance. We've got some (more) great times ahead. On that basis if we aren't meant to win the title this season, I could swallow Leicester being champions. It would be a wonderful story.

I wasn't around when Forest won the league and European Cup twice but I have read snippets in books etc... but wasn't Shilton relegated with Stoke before he went to Forest? Albeit being in an inexperienced an young side. Also I am pretty sure Robertson was on the transfer list when Clough arrived at Forest.

Francis didn't arrive until 79 as well, almost a year after the title win.

Either way I don't think it would be as big as an achievement as the Forest title win as they did it as second division champions although if Leicester do win the league I reckon it would come pretty close.

What seperates Clough's Forest is the two European Cup win and winning the league coming straight from the second division

I obviously want City to win the league but a part of me wants to see Leiecester do it because I just think it would give the whole Premier League an incentive to believe in the almost impossible and hopefully making the whole division more mentally stronger and competitive.

I think comparisons with Forest are a little wide of the mark.

That Forest squad from 1978-80 contained two arguably world class players in Shilton and Francis as well as the likes of Gemill, McGovern and Robertson who were hugely accomplished players who would have been coveted by most other leading clubs. I'm not entirely true that's the case to the same extent at Leicester. There are some parallels, not least Vardy's narrative, as many of that Forest team were people who found success relatively late in their careers such as Kenny Burns (iirc).

I know this hasn't found favour with other posters, but I'd be genuinely chuffed if they won the league. We're not going away and as long as we finish top three this season, then with all that's going on at the club our future is brighter than any other in England - and possibly by some distance. We've got some (more) great times ahead. On that basis if we aren't meant to win the title this season, I could swallow Leicester being champions. It would be a wonderful story.

Didn't Francis only join them after they'd won the league in 78?

Deserve to be where they are. People for get that they finished last season in great form and they have kicked on this season. Great job from ranieri it has to be said. They play with a positive attitude and a great tempo. Vardy is having the season of his life and mahrez looks to be a very good player. Very impressive. I work with a leicester fan and he is in dream world.

People keep expecting there bubble to burst but they are still there and have to be taken seriously

With Leicester's current ongoing fixtures, which was predicted to cause Leicester's downfall this season, Leicester have surprisingly won 2 of the 3 "killer" games, picking up a win against the Champions and a point against Utd. Who's actually stopping Leicester? They are showing no signs of stopping and Leicester's attacking engine of Vardy & Mahrez show no signs of fatigue.

There's nothing more embarrassing and shameful than losing the title to only 2 years ago newly promoted side. City-Leicester and Liverpool-Leicester will soon prove who Leicester are. With this being said, there could be embarrassing times ahead of City and Arsenal.

It'd be pretty fucking revolutionary stuff if Leicester somehow go to become a major club in England, like how Chelsea and City have, BUT without a takeover of course. If Leicester can win the league/get top 4, they can attract top players to the Premier League for the next season funded by top 4 prize money etc, stabilising their team, whilst also keeping Ranieri, they could be a force to reckon with.

What Leicester have done so far this season is amazing.

It goes to show that a system what suits the players is far more effective than individual quality. The likes of Kante and Drinkwater in CM have been just as impressive as Mahrez and Vardy IMO.

It's a sad state of affairs that people are still actually questioning whether Vardy should start for England. Him and Drinkwater should be a shoe-in based on current form.

That said, it also would not surprize me in the slightest if when Leicester lose they go on a long win less run. Teams like Newcastle and Sunderland are going to see them as a very dangerous side now and play a more defensive game against them. It will be interesting to see if they can adapt to having less space for Vardy or Mahrez to run in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.