The luckiest City fans in our history

I remember in the 90’s saying to my mate that all I wanted in my lifetime was to see City win at least the league cup and win away at the swamp. That’s how low my expectations were for our future. Just how little I knew what was around the corner. My maté couldn’t go to the QPR game in 2012 so I took my dad and my son. It was the only game that the 3 of us saw together. Dad cried at the end and we all went to the boozer after. So I consider all 3 of us to be privileged (or lucky) to have witnessed this era. RIP dad.

I know I'm on my own here, but my favourite season is still the season Keegan brought us up with Benarbia in the team. That was the first time in my memory that I was genuinely excited by our football.

The trophies now are great, winning the Treble is something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime and so much more as the Rags are planning celebrations next year for the 25th anniversary of their Treble (oh my, I bet they've had to redo a shit load of merchandise because of that). But that season with Keegan still resonates with me and I still wonder at some of the stuff Benarbia done.
How good was Bernabia
Imagine what he would’ve been likening he arrived 6 or 7 years earlier
Great team and football that year
Huckerby and I think Wanchope as well

Your wife was only 8 and a half months pregnant and you didn't go to the game. Priorities mate! Lol.

In all seriousness my kids take it for granted. I'm the same age as you and they'll never know the roller coaster we've been on. They'll never appreciate it like we do and they've never had the bad times that make the good times so sweet. I think we (and those up to a decade older) are the luckiest generation. We've seen it all.
I didn’t feel lucky when I saw us get beat mid week away at Barnet

I know I'm on my own here, but my favourite season is still the season Keegan brought us up with Benarbia in the team. That was the first time in my memory that I was genuinely excited by our football.

The trophies now are great, winning the Treble is something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime and so much more as the Rags are planning celebrations next year for the 25th anniversary of their Treble (oh my, I bet they've had to redo a shit load of merchandise because of that). But that season with Keegan still resonates with me and I still wonder at some of the stuff Benarbia done.

The only English club to do the treble

All of the above..

Plus the Brian Horton season. Some great matches - spurs 5-2, beating Liverpool on the Easter bank holiday

How good was Bernabia

As I think I've mentioned on here, Benarbia is a commentator and occasional consultant for RMC (the French radio sports station) and so I hear him on there from time to time. Remembers City with great fondness. Has spoken about how impressed he was by the Kippax when he arrived.

It was a fantastic season. We ripped up the Championship (or whatever it was called back then). The stuff we played was a joy to watch. I know it's heresy to compare it to the Centurions season (the levels are just so far apart). But, in a weird way, it was as enjoyable to watch that Keegan side as Pep's team in 17/18. Maybe because the depths to which we had sunk 3 or 4 years previously were still fresh in our minds. Losing at home to Bury and Oxford United (among others). Christ.

Went to my first game in 1954 and saw the great man Bert in the flesh.That was all I needed to convince me that City was the team to follow.

Have seen many highs and quite a few lows, but nothing can dim the pleasure the club have given to me.

This latest part of the journey has of course just taken things to unprecedented heights way beyond what I could ever imagine way back, behind the goals as an awe inspired and excited 7 year old.

How good was Bernabia
We were brilliant to watch. As @jimharri mentioned, it probably feels like heresy, especially to younger fans as they just don't remember the utter shite we were watching 3, 4 and 5 seasons previously. I seem to remember (I hope I'm right and it's not just early onset dimentia) Horlock being freeborn under Keegan as well ......I think....

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.