The old days

I think nearly everyone feels nostalgic for things in their youth (but I am white and addicted to heroin LoL).
I have very fond memories of the Bell, Lee era and Maine rd. But things change and you either roll with it or walk away. I think not living in the UK kinda shields you from a lot of the media crap.

The truth is the quality of football in the past was shit compared to today. In part because the old pitches were mudheaps that made kick-and-rush practically a necessity. The English game valued energy, courage and determination way, way above skill or technical quality which were seen as something for 'foreign softies'.
Yes. Remember the report of England v Hungary in 1953 when Billy Wright was bamboozled by the likes of Puskas, Wright "rushing past him like a fire-engine going to the wrong fire. " And by coincidence I just read one of my old football annuals, 1957 or so, with an account of Barcelona heavily beating Stan Cullis's Wolves in a couple of friendlies. "Artists over artisans" the report said.
Turn a few pages and here's a piece on fussy English referee Arthur Ellis talking about how he dealt with "sly and tricky Continentals." He was in charge of a match in whichsubstitutions were allowed only for genuine injuries up to the 44th minute. When an Italian (?) player who'd been playing badly went down on 40 minutes Ellis said he wasn't going to be conned like that and wrote with satisfaction how he waved play on till half time with the player still lying on the ground, then refused to allow the substitution.

Last edited:
The final Pearce season was very difficult and pushed me to the extreme.

I’ve no idea whether this was true but I understand renewals were way down and only picked up when Thaksin Shinawatra bought the club and appointed Sven.
That pearce season was the closest I came to not renewing. Glad I stuck with it.
IT'S GREAT BEING A BLUE CTID
Nostalgia is like crack-heroin for (mostly) white middle aged men.
An idiotic comment straight out of this Age of Stupidity -from someone too young to know better I would hope

You miss when we were shit, it used to kick off all the time and you couldn’t watch the games you didn’t make it to and coverage was a side column in the MEN?

We’re absolutely blessed to be winning it all now and watching hundreds of angles of every action at your finger tips day and night rather than passing round vhs to watch on shitty tv’s like United in 99.

It might be more expensive but the day out is better as well, town is a million miles ahead of any time before.

I don’t reckon theres any fans in England ever had a better time of it than City fans having a day out in NQ/Ancoats with their mates, strolling to the game, watching City rip apart some “European giant”, then heading back in to town after to celebrate and soaking up the highlights and podcasts about it over next few days.
I remember protesting against Peter Swales. I have zilch nostalgia for any of that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.