The Post General Election Thread

was a surprise the size of the win but they were always going to win. i said all along i didn't believe the polls. it doesn't matter to me how it was achieved i'm just glad the British people got behind Dave. a victory for all of the people, even the cadgers.
I can't be arsed digging it out, and I'm not suggesting it gives me prodigious powers of prescience, but I said for some time that I had a feeling that the Tories could very well edge ahead in the final straight and secure a small majority. The economy was improving and there was (and is) a general perception (rightly or wrongly) that the Tories' economic stewardship was responsible for that. The British, or rather the English electorate, are a fairly conservative (with a small 'c') bunch especially in marginal constituencies and the main player in a first term government always stood a chance of being given the benefit of the doubt.

Given a Tory victory was something I saw as less than desirable then I'm certain many Tories had the same feeling, given the capacity of many folk to confuse what we want to happen with what we think will happen. I spoke to a few Tory activists in the weeks leading up to the election and they seemed cautiously optimistic, even though they thought the party had run a pretty piss poor campaign.

To describe the outcome as a complete surprise is wrong and using Samantha Cameron's cautious removal contingency płans is a misleading piece of evidence imo. I expect that's part of the protocol in any event. Makes sense given the brutal speed at which power can change hands at the top of politics.

, but the Tories won because they are what 24% of the those registered to vote wanted
Dearie me.
Yet again, moaning about the rules of the game after the game is lost.
PR, never has, or will be introduced, the vast majority don't want it.
Prior to the election no Labour supporters wanted it, no Tory voters wanted it, no fucker, apart from the Libdems wanted it.
That's why we haven't got it.

I can't be arsed digging it out, and I'm not suggesting it gives me prodigious powers of prescience, but I said for some time that I had a feeling that the Tories could very well edge ahead in the final straight and secure a small majority. The economy was improving and there was (and is) a general perception (rightly or wrongly) that the Tories' economic stewardship was responsible for that. The British, or rather the English electorate, are a fairly conservative (with a small 'c') bunch especially in marginal constituencies and the main player in a first term government always stood a chance of being given the benefit of the doubt.

Given a Tory victory was something I saw as less than desirable then I'm certain many Tories had the same feeling, given the capacity of many folk to confuse what we want to happen with what we think will happen. I spoke to a few Tory activists in the weeks leading up to the election and they seemed cautiously optimistic, even though they thought the party had run a pretty piss poor campaign.

To describe the outcome as a complete surprise is wrong and using Samantha Cameron's cautious removal contingency płans is a misleading piece of evidence imo. I expect that's part of the protocol in any event. Makes sense given the brutal speed at which power can change hands at the top of politics.
Pretty much mirrors my own experience (this worries me because I find this a lot with your posts)

, but the Tories won because they are what 24% of the those registered to vote wanted

YNWA

24dj04y.jpg

Dearie me.
Yet again, moaning about the rules of the game after the game is lost.
PR, never has, or will be introduced, the vast majority don't want it.
Prior to the election no Labour supporters wanted it, no Tory voters wanted it, no fucker, apart from the Libdems wanted it.
That's why we haven't got it.
agreed.
desperation is a terrible thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.