The Sack Mancini because of CL failure at City undermined

Prestwich_Blue said:
Baconface has won it twice and been runner up once plus they've usually got to the QF, which is the height of Mancini's achievement. But even if you only take the last couple of years, it clearly shows that by failing to qualify from an easy group and going out at the first knock-out stage, Baconface is past his sell-by date. If they carry on doing that, they'll be out of Pot 1 in 2 or 3 years time and it has cost them valuable revenue. They'll have to sign an "Official Cleaning Products partner" now to make that up.

That's a good argument for giving a lot of thought to his continued tenure in my view.

Twice.

hgblue said:
Compare and contrast Mancini's record in Europe with Mourinho's, and you have your answer.
Compare Avram Grant's and Di Matteo's with Chelsea to Mourinho's and Ancelotti's with Chelsea and you could say that sometimes the CL is just a lottery of a competition and is often more about going on a good run than being the best team with the best coach.

If it weren't for the volcanic ash cloud I doubt Inter would have won the CL in 2010 as I don't think they would have beaten Barça so comfortably at home after Barça had a ridiculous coach ride because they couldn't fly.

One big difference between City & United over recent European seasons is a good one for us:

United are getting regularly beaten at home over recent years, whereas for all the "humiliations" and "footballing lessons" that the likes of Dortmund, Madrid, Napoli, Bayern, Ajax, etc have supposedly handed-out to us, no-one has actually managed to win at the Etihad.

Looking at 2 of those teams; Madrid won at OT this season; Ajax won at OT last season.

And who have Utd actually managed to beat in the last 2 Champions Leagues ? Otelul Galati, Braga, Galatasaray and CFR Cluj.
Otelul Galati and CFR Cluj ? While we're playing Dortmund, Madrid, Napoli, Bayern, Ajax ?
Surely someone's having a laugh.

All that Utd's record suggests is that if they play an easy team, they win - when they play an average team, they sometimes win - and when they play someone good, they lose. Not really that dissimilar from City, except we keep playing good teams ?

Yet we're told that Utd are proudly continuing the glorious traditoins of the Busby Babes, while we are a laughing stock in Europe ... and Utd will doubtless start as one of the favourites to win the whole thing each year.

Just saying that I don't think we're quite as far behind Utd in our European results as some people are suggesting ?

Blue Theatre, great post and plenty ammunition for my debates this weekend in the pub.

Blue Theatre said:
One big difference between City & United over recent European seasons is a good one for us:

United are getting regularly beaten at home over recent years, whereas for all the "humiliations" and "footballing lessons" that the likes of Dortmund, Madrid, Napoli, Bayern, Ajax, etc have supposedly handed-out to us, no-one has actually managed to win at the Etihad.

Looking at 2 of those teams; Madrid won at OT this season; Ajax won at OT last season.

And who have Utd actually managed to beat in the last 2 Champions Leagues ? Otelul Galati, Braga, Galatasaray and CFR Cluj.
Otelul Galati and CFR Cluj ? While we're playing Dortmund, Madrid, Napoli, Bayern, Ajax ?
Surely someone's having a laugh.

All that Utd's record suggests is that if they play an easy team, they win - when they play an average team, they sometimes win - and when they play someone good, they lose. Not really that dissimilar from City, except we keep playing good teams ?

Yet we're told that Utd are proudly continuing the glorious traditoins of the Busby Babes, while we are a laughing stock in Europe ... and Utd will doubtless start as one of the favourites to win the whole thing each year.

Just saying that I don't think we're quite as far behind Utd in our European results as some people are suggesting ?

Let's see the "Mancini Out 5" (or is it 4 since Nip's duplicity was revealed?) debunk that.

Why is there this constant obsession of comparing ourselves with United, my biggest concern with Mancini is our record in Europe. We have been knocked twice in the europe league against average opposition and in the CL we have failed to progress two years in a row. Yes we have had tough groups but Ajax is about as easy as its gonna get considering our pot and they just completely outplayed us, our performances against Dortmund, Napoli were shocking and it even took a last minute goal at home to beat a side who were relegated from their domestic league. To succeed in Europe imo we need much pace and quality in midfield Fernandinho would be a good option.

mcfcirlam said:
Blue Theatre, great post and plenty ammunition for my debates this weekend in the pub.

Tell your mates that Ferguson is a glorified Walter Smith ant watch their faces drop. I say it tongue-in-cheek but I think there is a debate to be had around it

City Raider said:
its hard for us to argue about the toughness of our group because we couldnt beat ajax either
Ajax were champions of Holland. They weren't a lucky-to-be-in-the-comp-relegation-fodder side like Villarreal were. They had some very good midfielders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.