The standard of written English on this forum

It's never a good idea to judge an argument by the use of grammar and spelling, but not doing this is sometimes easier said than done.

I'm sure I lost part of my brain a few year back, some words are just beyond me.

I really have to think about them.

"whether"

"aerial"

"character"

My spelling of other words is far from perfect.

I use Firefox, with the UK dictionary add-on, to help.

<a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366/</a>

A helpful little red wiggly line saves countless blushes.

Right click on the offending word and you get the correctly spelled word.

There is usually more than one option, so no matter how badly you've done, it's pretty hard to miss the word you are looking for completely.

You can also add words, to help with player names. 'Aleksandar' (Kolarov) is going to catch a lot of people out.

But yeah.... (grammar). It's not important to me whether or not you can spell. A full stop every now and then is nice, however.

Having said all that, I do cringe when I see mistakes in thread titles.

Do the mods tend to correct these? Should I start reporting posts? ;)

Over here they refer to a sports team as the singular in all aspects of the media. I do'nt know if it's because different countries are allowed to adapt the English language or if they are just retarded but they must be educated people. It just sounds plain wrong to me ie Man City HAS just beaten the rags to the English Premier League title?

blueju said:
Over here they refer to a sports team as the singular in all aspects of the media. I do'nt know if it's because different countries are allowed to adapt the English language or if they are just retarded but they must be educated people. It just sounds plain wrong to me ie Man City HAS just beaten the rags to the English Premier League title?

This has started to appear in the UK. I'm sure we used to report, "Manchester are delighted to announce...", but the trend lately is, "Manchester City is delighted to...".

Chick Counterfly said:
You can also add words, to help with player names. 'Aleksandar' (Kolarov) is going to catch a lot of people out.

twoddlehopper said:
Daily fail "exclusive" saying Heart is first choice! Just seen it on ssn. Love Joe just think given is still a bit better, one more season on loan wouldn't have hurt, if given goes arsenal he'll reinforce them big time.

Good advice.

oakiecokie said:
Swales lives said:
I can't be arsed reading through the whole thread, but the basic premise of the thread is correct.
Spelling and grammar throughout British society is appalling. I work with graduates and their mistakes are atrocious.

At least 70% of the posts on this forum appear to have been constructed by complete fucking morons.

Fuck off arse hole !!!!!!!!!!!!
If it was your sister or brother would your opinion still be same.
I mean piss taking is OK,until it comes down to a relative of yours.
Doesn`t it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My two daughters are both 2.1 Graduates,but at least they admit that how they achieved standards,only because or some poor grammar, is beyond their good fortune.
Give the other 30% who are "worthless" in some peoples opinions, an opportunity to have some pleasure in joining a Forum who will at least give them a say,without being castigated,due to their lack of self belief and NOT belittled because of their unfortunate circumstances.
Is it still too much to ask,or are you a complete areshole and so self opinionated,that you think you are so much better than one and all ?

-- Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:41 am --

I remember the kippax said:
I helped build the net for young whippersnappers like you - never should've opened that Pandora's box

Can we meet somewhere to discuss your hatred of people with learning difficulties ??????????????????????????????????

Oakiecoakie,
why fly off the handle because I say that I work with a lot of graduates with appalling spelling/grammar? Where did I mention your off-spring? You are clearly mentally challenged.

And I don't believe your daughters are graduates (unless it's Sports Science). If they are it's against all odds. Now, toddle off to your padded cell.

Swales lives said:
oakiecokie said:
Fuck off arse hole !!!!!!!!!!!!
If it was your sister or brother would your opinion still be same.
I mean piss taking is OK,until it comes down to a relative of yours.
Doesn`t it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My two daughters are both 2.1 Graduates,but at least they admit that how they achieved standards,only because or some poor grammar, is beyond their good fortune.
Give the other 30% who are "worthless" in some peoples opinions, an opportunity to have some pleasure in joining a Forum who will at least give them a say,without being castigated,due to their lack of self belief and NOT belittled because of their unfortunate circumstances.
Is it still too much to ask,or are you a complete areshole and so self opinionated,that you think you are so much better than one and all ?

-- Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:41 am --

Can we meet somewhere to discuss your hatred of people with learning difficulties ??????????????????????????????????

Oakiecoakie,
why fly off the handle because I say that I work with a lot of graduates with appalling spelling/grammar? Where did I mention your off-spring? You are clearly mentally challenged.

And I don't believe your daughters are graduates (unless it's Sports Science). If they are it's against all odds. Now, toddle off to your padded cell.

Life at 60 as taught me never to tell lies about your own family !!
So for your information I couldn`t give shit what you think,but both my daughters are schoolteachers.One in Cheltenham the other in Leeds.
END OF !

oakiecokie

Why the assumption that those who post using txt speak or bad grammer have dyslexia?

I would imagine that a very small percentage of bluemoon users are dyslexic,and the majority of posts that the OP is talking about are written by those who are either lazy writers or poorly educated,but with spell check on most browsers,you can get by without being able to spell well.

royle said:
oakiecokie

Why the assumption that those who post using txt speak or bad grammer have dyslexia?

I would imagine that a very small percentage of bluemoon users are dyslexic,and the majority of posts that the OP is talking about are written by those who are either lazy writers or poorly educated,but with spell check on most browsers,you can get by without being able to spell well.

You can, but why wouldn't you want to spell your own language correctly?
Where as those with bad spelling are not thick. On first appearance they appear to be though.<br /><br />-- Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:23 pm --<br /><br />
oakiecokie said:
Swales lives said:
Oakiecoakie,

So for your information I couldn`t give shit what you think,but both my daughters are schoolteachers.One in Cheltenham the other in Leeds.
END OF !

Brilliant. You have piss poor grammar, you're daughters can't spell and they're teaching our children. Fucking brilliant. I'm writing to The Mail.

Swales lives said:
royle said:
oakiecokie

You can, but why wouldn't you want to spell your own language correctly?
Where as those with bad spelling are not thick. On first appearance they appear to be though.

-- Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:23 pm --

oakiecokie said:
END OF !

Brilliant. You have piss poor grammar, you're daughters can't spell and they're teaching our children. Fucking brilliant. I'm writing to The Mail.

Who's going to tell him?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.