The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Perez believes the failure to establish the Super League will prevent the largest clubs from being able to afford the game's biggest stars, saying: "As for signings like [Erling] Haaland or [Kylian] Mbappe, they won't exist without the Super League.

Laporta: "It is absolutely necessary. The biggest clubs create the most financial resources and we must have our say in deciding how the earnings are shared," he said.

Reading that was all I needed to know about why they did this.

It almost feels like Brexit. We're out, and we're now back in control of our own destiny.
There's a slight flaw in your last sentence but if that's what you think....

I'm struggling to see what City could have done differently here. The super league was presented to them as a fait accompli. If they signed up they would be part of the biggest and most lucrative competition in Europe. If they didn't sign up, they'd be on the outside and possibly risk losing our best players to our competitors who could offer ridiculous transfer fees and wages due to the financing options. If we weren't invited, we'd all be kicking off with the likes of Everton, because we weren't invited. As soon as there was a bit of pressure from the fans, and other places, they withdrew, along with Chelsea - causing the SL to collapse.

Can't say I'd have been happy with the format, but I would still have watched City in the competition and hoped they'd dominate.

Be interesting to hear Khaldoun's take in his end of season round up.

Now he wants to be seen as the saviour ...

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich led the charge to get out of the European Super League, with the reasons behind his move now becoming apparent.

Abramovich stepped in to pull Chelsea out of the Super League on Tuesday, having listened to the depth of feeling from club supporters in opposing the radical plans.

Imagine making an executive decision like that and not telling Abramovich first.

25df3005043f2299189ad3d51ebd00f4.jpg

This still dragging on, christ.
Whilst I'm not happy about what has happened, all over it now.
One thing I would add though is where the outrage and need for explanations from us all when our owners sold some of 'our club' to Silverlake and the Chinese. I'll hold my hands up if it happened and I missed it

Perez himself has all but admitted it was City
It was definitely City, if it’s worth any consolation.

Pérez said: “There was one of the English clubs who didn’t seem so interested and that spread to the rest. They signed the contract but we could already see that that they were not convinced. And then the avalanche started, the Premier League ‘heating things up’. They said: ‘We’re going to pull out for now.’ There was a club that you could tell wasn’t as interested but they worked with us and signed up.”

Although he had said he would not name the club, when he was asked if it was Manchester City Pérez said: “The one from Manchester saw the campaign saying this will kill the leagues, that it won’t allow [sporting] merit, that it was the end of football. There are people who have privileges and don’t want to lose them, even if it ruins football. When the English called me [on Tuesday], we met to see what we could do. They tried, but said: ‘Look, we’re not going to do this.’”

The quote aligns with the very first post in this thread that City were reluctant to begin with:

Interesting development:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.