The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Politely decline the invite and leak it to Martin Samuel - it wouldn't have gone through and we'd have played and absolute blinderisxw and not fucked everyone off...........thiou
I also don't buy the "we had little or no choice" argument. It's now clear that this would have probably collapsed with or without us, given the backlash across the football and political community.

I also don't buy the "we had little or no choice" argument. It's now clear that this would have probably collapsed with or without us, given the backlash across the football and political community.
It couldn't have been that clear or we wouldn't have jumped aboard. Nor would Chelsea if it was as clear as you suggest. We were wrong to jump aboard the train standing in the station, and jump off before the doors shut but they aren't that stupid to jump onto a crashing train.

You probably need to ask yourself what the options were a week last Friday.

We could have said No Thanks, and stayed out. We then wouldn't have been the first to abandon the project which had a big influence in its collapse. There is a very good chance that if the other 11 went ahead without us it wouldn't have collapsed leaving us at tier 2 in European football forever.

In the cold light of day, our commitment to join the ESL followed quickly by our abandonment of it helped its demise. It may well have failed anyway but it would definitely dragged on much longer causing untold damage to football as a whole. Whether our actions were due to cock ups or by design doesn't really matter - what matters is the outcome.

I can't deny we've been tarnished by it but there really was no other realistic option, and on the plus side, all the clubs that hate us, both in Spain and the UK have been weakened much more than we have. We have also established a much better relationship with UEFA which can only be a good thing, and the grip that the other 10 had on UEFA (which was the main cause of our poor relationship with them) has been almost relinquished. Only us and Chelsea have come out of this with some measure of credibility.
I’d love to know what Everton and West Ham’s response would have been, had they been asked because we’d said no. I think we all know the answer........

Never really used my account on here but I've been going back and forth on this for the last week.

I've been going to City since I was 6 and have had a season ticket since I was 14, but I really don't feel like I can renew my ticket for next season if the situation stays as it is.

I was getting a bit disillusioned with Premier League football as it was with the price, VAR, etc but this ESL nonsense has really wound me up. I understand that those in charge at City weren't the ringleaders of it all and that they were among the first to pull out but I still don't feel like I can trust them in the same way that I could before. It seems inevitable that the people behind this (Perez, Glazers etc) will only try and do this again in the future, but with a better PR strategy, unless major change happens to stop it for good. Unless something massive happens between now and the summer to change my mind on this, then I'm getting a season ticket at my local non-league team next season. I go and watch them anyway whenever there's an international break or when City are playing away in the league as I don't have enough loyalty points, so it's not like I'm choosing a new team or ditching City. I've loved City my whole life and always will but for now I feel much more comfortable giving £90 to a 100% fan-owned team who needs the money and will appreciate me as a fan rather than £500 to a billionaire who seemed willing to help wreck English football only a week ago.
I can fully agree with what you are saying. To me the solution is simple. Strip the ESL 6 of their power, yes including us, some have already resigned, some kicked off PL committees, now go the whole hog. Sack the Champs League new format, the conference Cup or what ever it is called and reduce international matches. Stop the leeches sucking the money out of football.

Politely decline the invite and leak it to Martin Samuel - it wouldn't have gone through and we'd have played and absolute blinder and not fucked everyone off...........
It's driving me mad that we didn't do this. All those years of negative press, of us being the "money club", using "oil money" to buy "merceneries" to "ruin football".

We could have more or less wiped this out with one move. It could have even had major ramifications for our future support. Suddenly amongst all the big boys we would have appeared to be the ones who were about sport and not money. The real irony is that even though that's how it should be spun, the real truth is probably that we didn't really want to give our competitors a leg up and allow them equivalent spending power.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.