The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Never really used my account on here but I've been going back and forth on this for the last week.

I've been going to City since I was 6 and have had a season ticket since I was 14, but I really don't feel like I can renew my ticket for next season if the situation stays as it is.

I was getting a bit disillusioned with Premier League football as it was with the price, VAR, etc but this ESL nonsense has really wound me up. I understand that those in charge at City weren't the ringleaders of it all and that they were among the first to pull out but I still don't feel like I can trust them in the same way that I could before. It seems inevitable that the people behind this (Perez, Glazers etc) will only try and do this again in the future, but with a better PR strategy, unless major change happens to stop it for good. Unless something massive happens between now and the summer to change my mind on this, then I'm getting a season ticket at my local non-league team next season. I go and watch them anyway whenever there's an international break or when City are playing away in the league as I don't have enough loyalty points, so it's not like I'm choosing a new team or ditching City. I've loved City my whole life and always will but for now I feel much more comfortable giving £90 to a 100% fan-owned team who needs the money and will appreciate me as a fan rather than £500 to a billionaire who seemed willing to help wreck English football only a week ago.
This £500 you claim to be giving to this billionaire ... has he ever taken anything out of our club ??

Just changed my vote to yes.

If the Super League rids the club of all these whiny, narcissistic, ungrateful, self-important, posturing, pontificating, attention-seekers, it can only be a good thing.
Phew - there was me thinking I was flying under the radar.

I stand by all of my criticisms of the club (and the others involved) on this, whether that is a popular point of view or no.........

This £500 you claim to be giving to this billionaire ... has he ever taken anything out of our club ??
I think he made a very fair point. No they haven't taken money out but they've definitely got something out of the relationship. We know the term 'sportswashing' is intellectual nonsense but they've been given the chance to promote their country and the companies based there.

I've been told that when Abu Dhabi leaders meet other world leaders, City is often the non-political opening topic of conversation, particularly when they're talking to Vladimir Putin, with his protege owning Chelsea. We've always known what the bargain was, if we've got half a brain, but we've got an awful lot out of it as well of course so we've always trusted those running our club.

We've also known they didn't put us at the front of their thoughts, despite the trophies, with constant increases in prices, more hospitality areas and advertising boards being seen as more important than fans. So there's always been a bit of cynicism but this latest episode has been a bridge too far for many.

Last edited:
Never really used my account on here but I've been going back and forth on this for the last week.

I've been going to City since I was 6 and have had a season ticket since I was 14, but I really don't feel like I can renew my ticket for next season if the situation stays as it is.

I was getting a bit disillusioned with Premier League football as it was with the price, VAR, etc but this ESL nonsense has really wound me up. I understand that those in charge at City weren't the ringleaders of it all and that they were among the first to pull out but I still don't feel like I can trust them in the same way that I could before. It seems inevitable that the people behind this (Perez, Glazers etc) will only try and do this again in the future, but with a better PR strategy, unless major change happens to stop it for good. Unless something massive happens between now and the summer to change my mind on this, then I'm getting a season ticket at my local non-league team next season. I go and watch them anyway whenever there's an international break or when City are playing away in the league as I don't have enough loyalty points, so it's not like I'm choosing a new team or ditching City. I've loved City my whole life and always will but for now I feel much more comfortable giving £90 to a 100% fan-owned team who needs the money and will appreciate me as a fan rather than £500 to a billionaire who seemed willing to help wreck English football only a week ago.
You were giving your £500 to Manchester City Football Club Ltd who invested it in buying players, paying wages and maintaining the stadium. As far as I know, our billionaire owner has reinvested any profits in the club and has not taken any for himself yet, although he would be perfectly entitled to pay himself a dividend which would probably amount to about £10 of your £500 if he chose to take it.

You were giving your £500 to Manchester City Football Club Ltd who invested it in buying players, paying wages and maintaining the stadium. As far as I know, our billionaire owner has reinvested any profits in the club and has not taken any for himself yet, although he would be perfectly entitled to pay himself a dividend which would probably amount to about £10 of your £500 if he chose to take it.
I know that my season ticket money is most likely reinvested back into the club but it’s mainly that the ESL thing has damaged the trust we could have with the people making the decisions. Up until this week they’d ran the club very well but their decision to join something that would have killed English football after 150 years of competition isn’t really something that can be forgotten with an apology email. If everyone just goes on as normal, what’s to stop them doing it again because you know Perez is gonna try and start it up again. Maybe I just sound whiny and ungrateful but until something changes, continuing to pay and renew tickets pretending like nothing happened just doesn’t feel right.

I know that my season ticket money is most likely reinvested back into the club but it’s mainly that the ESL thing has damaged the trust we could have with the people making the decisions. Up until this week they’d ran the club very well but their decision to join something that would have killed English football after 150 years of competition isn’t really something that can be forgotten with an apology email. If everyone just goes on as normal, what’s to stop them doing it again because you know Perez is gonna try and start it up again. Maybe I just sound whiny and ungrateful but until something changes, continuing to pay and renew tickets pretending like nothing happened just doesn’t feel right.
You probably need to ask yourself what the options were a week last Friday.

We could have said No Thanks, and stayed out. We then wouldn't have been the first to abandon the project which had a big influence in its collapse. There is a very good chance that if the other 11 went ahead without us it wouldn't have collapsed leaving us at tier 2 in European football forever.

In the cold light of day, our commitment to join the ESL followed quickly by our abandonment of it helped its demise. It may well have failed anyway but it would definitely dragged on much longer causing untold damage to football as a whole. Whether our actions were due to cock ups or by design doesn't really matter - what matters is the outcome.

I can't deny we've been tarnished by it but there really was no other realistic option, and on the plus side, all the clubs that hate us, both in Spain and the UK have been weakened much more than we have. We have also established a much better relationship with UEFA which can only be a good thing, and the grip that the other 10 had on UEFA (which was the main cause of our poor relationship with them) has been almost relinquished. Only us and Chelsea have come out of this with some measure of credibility.

I think he made a very fair point. No they haven't taken money out but they've definitely got something out of the relationship. We know the term 'sportswashing' is intellectual nonsense but they've been given the chance to promote their country and the companies based there.

I've been told that when Abu Dhabi leaders meet other world leaders, City is often the non-political opening topic of conversation, particularly when they're talking to Vladimir Putin, with his protege owning Chelsea. We've always known what the bargain was, if we've got half a brain, but we've got an awful lot out of it as well of course so we've always trusted those running our club.

We've also known they didn't put us at the front of their thoughts, despite the trophies, with constant increases in prices, more hospitality areas and advertising boards being seen as more important than fans. So there's always been a bit of cynicism but this latest episode has been a bridge too far for many.
Perfectly articulated PB............

You probably need to ask yourself what the options were a week last Friday.

We could have said No Thanks, and stayed out. We then wouldn't have been the first to abandon the project which had a big influence in its collapse. There is a very good chance that if the other 11 went ahead without us it wouldn't have collapsed leaving us at tier 2 in European football forever.

In the cold light of day, our commitment to join the ESL followed quickly by our abandonment of it helped its demise. It may well have failed anyway but it would definitely dragged on much longer causing untold damage to football as a whole. Whether our actions were due to cock ups or by design doesn't really matter - what matters is the outcome.

I can't deny we've been tarnished by it but there really was no other realistic option, and on the plus side, all the clubs that hate us, both in Spain and the UK have been weakened much more than we have. We have also established a much better relationship with UEFA which can only be a good thing, and the grip that the other 10 had on UEFA (which was the main cause of our poor relationship with them) has been almost relinquished. Only us and Chelsea have come out of this with some measure of credibility.
Politely decline the invite and leak it to Martin Samuel - it wouldn't have gone through and we'd have played and absolute blinder and not fucked everyone off...........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.