The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
I couldn't support another club either, don't know what I will do tbh mate. At least I've put the 60 odd happy's on ignore, made me feel a bit better.

I'll probably start having a wander down my local amateur football club - sadly they play in red and white so probably won't be buying any merch

I'm convinced that this proposal is just an opening gambit and that the clubs involved know that it won't get through in its original form. The clubs will sit round the table and discuss it with UEFA who will be pressured into passing a watered down version in line with the clubs' original expectations while UEFA will claim something along the lines of it being "a victory for honest negotiation and common sense that lays the foundation for a secure and prosperous future for European football" or some such other bullshit.

Rather like what happened when the 'elite' clubs threatened a breakaway European Super League and UEFA shat themselves and agreed to can the European Cup and its straight knockout format and replace it with the Champions League with most participating clubs from the group stage onward not even being champions of their own countries.

I think it's most likely that the whole thing is a ploy to extract greater concessions from UEFA. However, I have some sympathy with the club. If it did go ahead without us, the club would be left behind and unable to compete at the highest level. It seems that they were not agitating to form this thing.

I honestly think that the greater threat is more anti-competitive changes to the UCL, ensuring entry for the "elite" clubs regardless of domestic performance and a greater share of the cash. That looks to be what these breakaway clubs are after.

Because it won't only change European football - we might have seen the future in our lineups and performance v Leeds and Chelsea. The priority will be the ESL match on Wednesday and our PL team will become the reserves for that. Now that might be mean we see more of the youngsters coming through and they get opportunities to play at a higher level than going on loan to the Championship, and we have a better place for players who need to come back from injury or pick up some form - but week to week we will be seeing the second team playing in the PL, especially if we have had a bad start and don't need to try and get into the top four to qualify for next years CL. And that will be the same for all the ESL clubs - the PL revenues will become less significant for them all and so they will do enough to stay there and earn whatever can be earned from it - but the next TV deal will reduce in value and so it becomes less important. Where is the jeopardy in City Reserves v Liverpool reserves to see who finishes seventh. Perhaps we might have fun messing up Leeds when they need 3 points to win the PL - but at the end of the day it won't really matter - because on Wednesday we are playing Real Madrid for the chance to play in the Grand Final coming live from Yokohama on a streaming service created just for you.
Christ mate, ever heard of paragraphs ? I'm going cross eyed reading that. :)

Anyway, have fun with your crystal ball.

I'm so sorry I upset you, but I dreamed (dreamt) of the FA Cup final, if you dreamed (dreamt) of the European Cup final, well done to you.

I mean I even remember a variant of 'three and in' was called the 'FA Cup', don't ever remember the game being called the European cup but hey, that was just northern boys in the 70's and 80's for you, maybe it was different in Scouse land after they won it but I'm not a scouser so it was the FA Cup for us.

Don't let it bother you too much though, as at the end of the day it was just my own memory from the dim and distant past.
I just found it funny because it’s not like the European Cup wasn’t around and wasn’t a prestigious competition that kids will have dreamt of winning irrespective of where they were from or who they grew up supporting.

Each to their own though!

I wonder what Pep thinks about all this. I know he's big buddies with Ferran and Cheeky, but this has gone way above their pay grades. Pep strikes me as a man of strong principles and it wouldn't surprise me if he walked.

Is this realistically happening ? or the biggest hot air ever ?

I'd definitely not bother with the PL if this was to go ahead to be honest, Spurs in a 'Super league' that they cant get relegated from ?! whole thing is a joke.
What's the West Ham opinion on this is general?

Personally can't see this being good for any fan of an English side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.