The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
In what way ?

Where to start?

- ' Top 6' earning £300m more than the rest, probably more as the Premier League TV rights will suffer.
- 'Other 14' even less likely to keep hold of their top players as they're offered ludicrous contracts.
- Meaning-less games, if you're not top, you might as well finish 17th.
- Less competitiveness, less drama, less excitement, less match-going fans.

Leeds vs Liverpool tonight...1 fighting for the European conference league, 1 fighting for top 4 and premium European football, how would this game look next year? Liverpool wouldn't give a flying fuck if they got beat 8-0.

It affects the competitiveness of the league.

I don't even want to continue, it's quite obvious it's going to destroy the domestic league.

Shame on all the owners, so out of touch with reality and the fans
But according to Senor Perez football is the only global sport with 4 billion fans and "big clubs have a responsibility to respond to their desires". I'm obviously well out of touch with fans' desires and oblivious to the clamour for a super league. Luckily I have Perez as a man of the people keeping me in touch with grassroots opinion.

I just found it funny because it’s not like the European Cup wasn’t around and wasn’t a prestigious competition that kids will have dreamt of winning irrespective of where they were from or who they grew up supporting.

Each to their own though!
So are you saying as a little boy you dreamed of scoring in the European Cup Final?

Again I am relating my own tale from my own memory and that of my friends that I played football with, why have you such a problem with this?

The Fa Cup was a special trophy that people dreamed of winning, it was a huge thing, both BBC and ITV had build-ups of it all day until 3 pm kick-off, remember those?

We had three channels to watch and two of them covered the FA Cup, of course, boys dreamed of scoring in it.

ps Where did I say the European cup wasn't prestigious?

Realistically, how does this resolve now?

A) Premier League agree a deal with the new league, which the local FAs support, to allow the 15 clubs to continue to compete in domestic and European games within each league.

B) No agreement is reached. Does the Premier League kick out the 6 clubs involved? That makes the Premier League less attractive and less profitable. Players have to choose between the old layout or the new, which is essentially more money vs being able to compete in mutiple competitions at domestic, European and Interntaional level.

International football needs approval from UEFA and FIFA so is almost a seperate discussion, but would essentially mean they accept and the issue resolves, or they do not and they risk losing players from the biggest teams representing their countries at UEFA and FIFA tournaments.

Basically nobody wants to be pushed out of the cash trough, but will essentially have to accept a smaller share of it, in my opinion. There will be an agreement, UEFA will support the new competition in return for a fee and maybe even having their name attached to it.

One factor nobody seems to have thought of is the footballing calendar. We are proposing increasing the number of European games for 6 English teams by a minmum of 3 I think, if the initial league phase is split into 2 leagues of 10? So that is 3 more games at group stage for 6 teams, compared to previously 4 English teams playing 6 group games. Even if a deal is reached doemstically, you have 18 weekday matches to schedule PER TEAM vs 6 group games now.

Even if ESL games where teams from the same domestic league face each other count for double, where do the extra 12 midweek games, effectively three months worth of midweek fixtures, fit? The current CL groups are done by December, to fit them in you'd have to play continuously midweek through winter and then have the knockouts from Feb/March as we have now.

Players already struggle to play 2-3 times per week. Stars would get injured, be rested, how would you priorotise and how would each league take losing out on star players not playing?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.