The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
It's the case of getting out of the competition that threatens the very fabric of football, then tackle UEFA's proposals. UEFA's proposal is also crap but it's still fundamentally merit based, they're the lesser of 2 evils here.

Unfortunately their proposal is all but cut and dried. It is what we are getting.

It doesn't really matter to them - it won't affect their income stream either way.

Whatever the criteria are to be in those 5, the 5 have got to meet them (win domestic league, go through play offs etc) *and* compete in the same year's ESL if they're going to maintain their cashflow.

That'll be nigh on impossible competing against 15 clubs who don't need to give two fucks about their domestic league position, so will play their best players in the ESL (who will be paid far more than those from the 5).

So it'll be a rotating 5 almost certainly, with a financial position so much weaker they can't compete on two fronts.
Fifteen Harlem Globetrotters and five Washington Generals

Hello my friend,

I think it kind of does: it is one logical extension of what has gone before.

I'm a football romantic and traditionalist in many ways; in fact, I've never liked on that basis the fact we have a Premier League and then the Football League but life, business etc moves on.
Hi mate. I understand what you’re saying. Business does move on. Meaning that at some points it’s goodbye to the past and a choice of joining in with the new. Sometimes you need to. No sure the club needs to. But as a fan the formation of the SL for me will be goodbye to football. And tbf it wouldn’t even be a big step as I’m no fan of the CL and UEFA whatsoever.

I honestly hope after digesting this news for the last 2 days that we are playing something shrewd and crafty to get our payback on the yanks and other established cartel clubs that have tried to fuck us over with FFP

I honestly pray that we have not done this solely on a business decision by jumping into bed with these twats after everything they have done to try and destroy our club and the owners reputations - something our opwners are all to aware of on a personal level

The reason they are doing this ESL is because they are hugely in debt - why would we want to help them out after all thats gone on before

Please let this be a power play where we have played a part in exposing them for what they are

In all honesty, I think the champions league has lacked true sporting integrity for a long time. The group games are between the big teams and whoever won the Bulgarian/Slovak league last season. That is a format that assumes winning the Bulgarian league is harder than finishing fifth in the Premier League/La Liga. It’s not, but because UEFA are a group of national federations it will never address that by constructing a tournament with true sporting integrity (ie finding a way of putting the twenty or so best clubs together in one contest with no fillers).

I don’t like the super league proposal, but the moral pearl clutching is beyond tedious. “It’s all about the money!” Well duh! So is the Premier League, and every other tournament in professional sport.

The founding members forever qualifying regardless of merit is ridiculous, but lets not pretend that the current champions league is perfect either - and uefa have now published proposals that will only make it worse.

The four most tedious games City played this season were the group games against Olympiakos and Marseille. Cheltenham gave us a better game. Am I excited by a potential mid table clash against Atletico? No, but anything has got to be better than some of the mind numbing tedium served up by the current (and future) champions league format. If UEFA can’t or won’t sort it out then someone else has to.

I wouldn’t put the super league ahead of our domestic football, but if it’s between the champions league and super league I’m 50/50, and don’t particularly see an great moral issue.

It doesn't really matter to them - it won't affect their income stream either way.

Whatever the criteria are to be in those 5, the 5 have got to meet them (win domestic league, go through play offs etc) *and* compete in the same year's ESL if they're going to maintain their cashflow.

That'll be nigh on impossible competing against 15 clubs who don't need to give two fucks about their domestic league position, so will play their best players in the ESL (who will be paid far more than those from the 5).

So it'll be a rotating 5 almost certainly, with a financial position so much weaker they can't compete on two fronts.
Only in the sense that it helps their brand that the permanent members are of a higher standard than the invited clubs. Imagine if a non member won it?

I've been watching things unfold on tv but haven't read all the posting s on here. My own thought is that if Pep were to walk out right now it would make everyone sit up and take notice. He doesn't need the money. He could get any job he wanted in football in future. It would be a clear "NO!" message to the money men. We would be robbed of the best manager we've ever had and we'd not win the UEFA Champions League - but if we go into the new setup we'll be stripped of honours anyway. Big price to pay but worth it. Sends a message and at least the rest of football would see that we're trying to stand up for the right thing. Maybe other managers would follow.

I understand that Bob, But you cant just tread over everyone else to get a bigger share of the pie. Sport is and should be a bit different as it gives a huge amount of people pleasure.
I understand the sentiment. But it's just business. Shareholders (not fans or other stakeholders) are what drive business decisions by executives to maximise the money of their shareholders. The collatoral damage to City's 'legacy' monetary support will have been offset against the gain of incoming money for the SL (JP Morgan & whomever will be showcasing it) and the projections presented of the future income to be derived from majority 'new' markets - ie anywhere but Manchester/UK/Europe

Sadly sentiment is nowt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.