The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
I want to see khaldoon make a club statement today and admit they have got it wrong and with immediate effect we have on board the fans of this great club we have decided we no longer want to join this breakaway. Come on City do the right thing before it goes to far.

It has already gone too far. I genuinely can't see any way of turning back now, for anyone. Wishfil thinking and clinging on to hope.

When the pyramid was still in exactly the same meritocratic place it had been previously? This is completely different to then

The PL focused the money on the top division. It was another step on the road to where we are now. As the wealth has increased it has become increasingly difficult for a club to get promoted and become established. It requires serious investment.

Everton FC are fucking hypocrites.

If it goes wrong then we will lose money. It’s not a given it’s a gamble.
But how does it go wrong?

However, lets say the super league lasts 5 years and we make 850m in revenue which is a nice tidy sum just off that one tournament.

If it does go tits up, we all go back to UEFA and they cry at the feet of the chairman and thank the heavens for us coming back and all is forgotten.

No, City are in this because ultimately this is what they want too, for themselves and the investors that have come on board.

City may have preferred it happen differently, or with the backing of UEFA or FIFA, but City who have fought UEFA and other top clubs to get a seat at the top table were never going to pass on an invite to join as a founding member of this type of competition. It is pretty much what they have wanted for the past decade. To be in at the start and set the rules.

UEFA may entice City back with promises etc, but UEFA tried to fuck us twice so what value do their promises have? The game changer could be FIFA, who are just as likely to give this their backing as oppose it.

Right now you have twelve clubs with contracts and £3.5 billion funding. What are UEFA going to do? Ban them from a competition they aren’t interested in playing in? Ban players from the Euros? Good luck with that. Also the PL, same question. Ban the six biggest clubs? Again good luck, because what would be left is the Championship version 2. You think anyone is paying billions to watch Burnley v Brighton?

Things aren’t going back to the way it was. Not for the PL and not for UEFA. The 12 clubs have already ‘won’. To get the clubs back UEFA have to offer what the ESL offers. For the PL, they need those six clubs, otherwise they just have a slightly better version of the Championship.
Yeah, I get all that Bob and no doubt you're right on a lot of it but that doesn't alter the fact that this is a complete and utter shit show. Not just from the angle of the closed shop, but also that it could destroy the domestic leagues. Our bread and butter. You see, for many match going fans it's not just the big games that appeal to us. It's those games against the lesser teams too. The excitement of being drawn away in the cup and clocking up a new ground. I was buzzing when we got Burton in the League Cup a couple of years back - the chance of visiting a new ground, and one where the away end is terraced, doesn't come along that often these days.

The same applies to the European games too. Sure, having seen us play at Barca, Real, and Bayern is great but I've often enjoyed my trips to other grounds more. Sevilla was a cracking trip. Santander too, even though we lost 3-1 in a dead rubber, when myself and Shez from Wythenshawe got wasted in the pissing rain in some park with the Santander Ultras. Gladbach away when a local German TV crew turned up on the Xmas market we were drinking on and they asked us to give them a song. So we gave them a rendition of the "Watching City on a Wednesday night" chant, complete with all the swear words which then went out on their 6pm news bulletin.

Do I - and many other match going fans - really want to swap all those memories for the prospect of playing the same fucking teams umpteen times a season? You see, a breakaway league doesn't have to be as wank as this. It could've been a genuine, fairer, alternative to UEFA's current European competitions. It could've preserved our domestic leagues. And it could've still earned these clubs more money in TV rights than they earn now if it had been promoted in the right way to the highest bidders. The likes of Amazon would've still loved to have a piece of it rather than the shitty end of the Premier League TV rights they've got at the moment.

Many said the same about Bayern and PSG too, yet they stood firm.
If the thing ever gets started and looks like it has legs both of those will be in the door like a shot. It seems that this in some respects is a clever approach which allows a club retain the moral high ground while the shit is hitting the fan but retaining a secret invite to the party up their sleeve should they change their mind. Apparently 3 such clubs already exist.

Pep is asking we put something out today, he's rightly pissed about the timing.
I just want Pep to be honest, I believe he is a very principled man ( lets not forget his pro Catalonia stance), hopefully he will put friendship and maybe even his job and call it straight, he owes it to the fans and to his players who have given him their all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.