The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
THFC6061 said:
gazinho said:
THFC6061 said:
I'm afraid you are badly mistaken.

The clubs played in the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League but failed to reach the Group Stage.

FYI, the Champions League consists of three stages:

1. The Preliminary knock-out phase & play-offs.

2. The Group Stage.

3. The latter knock-out phase.

By that absolutely ludicrous reckoning you do realise you now have to class TNS, Sligo and Cliftonville (to name just a few) as Champions League clubs?

Does this also make them better teams than your lot seen as you couldnt even make this 'Preliminary knock-out phase'?

It's really quite simple.

A club which qualifies and plays in the Champions League is a Champions League club.

I'm not sure where this idea came from that only the 32 clubs which participate in the Group Stage section of the competition are Champions League clubs, but it's patently wrong.

76 clubs from 52 different European Football Associations participated in the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League competition.

And not one of the Spurs

THFC6061 said:
gazinho said:
THFC6061 said:
I'm afraid you are badly mistaken.

The clubs played in the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League but failed to reach the Group Stage.

FYI, the Champions League consists of three stages:

1. The Preliminary knock-out phase & play-offs.

2. The Group Stage.

3. The latter knock-out phase.

By that absolutely ludicrous reckoning you do realise you now have to class TNS, Sligo and Cliftonville (to name just a few) as Champions League clubs?

Does this also make them better teams than your lot seen as you couldnt even make this 'Preliminary knock-out phase'?

It's really quite simple.

A club which qualifies and plays in the Champions League is a Champions League club.

I'm not sure where this idea came from that only the 32 clubs which participate in the Group Stage section of the competition are Champions League clubs, but it's patently wrong.

76 clubs from 52 different European Football Associations participated in the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League competition.

You're being disingenuous here, and you know it. The original reason this whole matter was being discussed was because someone said the Europa League doesn't get interesting until the "Champion's League" teams drop into it. Now, it's absolutely clear to anyone who isn't trying to be pedantic, or a bit of a dick, that he was equating the Champion's League teams with those that had reached the group dtage, and that the only reason it got "interesting" at that point was due to the relative quality of those teams. Are you telling me that Shakhter Karagandy, Ludogorets Razgrad, Tromso, Maribor Banik etc are of such high quality that instandtly the Europa League becomes interesting? Yes, they were in the preliminary rounds, and qualifying stages, of the Champion's League, but so are any team who happens to win their league, including the champion's of such footballing meccas as San Marino, Andorra and Luxembourg. Sherrif Tiraspol were a "Champion's League" side by that reckoning. Did that feel like a Champion's League night last night?

Stop using pedantry to try and score points, feel superior, make others look foolish, it's an irritating habit.

I think we are being a bit harsh here, I guess when your team never gets to the champions league, even the preliminary rounds look like the holy grail. Its alright for us who are in it every year playing Bayern munich Barcelona and dortmund, but for teams like tromso , rotor volgograd ,alania vladikazkas, Total Network Solutions,wigan, Spurs and the deputy...err the sherrif. Getting to the first qualifying round is a huge achievement and I wont be one to take it away from them.

AwayDay said:
I think we are being a bit harsh here, I guess when your team never gets to the champions league, even the preliminary rounds look like the holy grail. Its alright for us who are in it every year playing Bayern munich Barcelona and dortmund, but for teams like tromso , rotor volgograd ,alania vladikazkas, Total Network Solutions,wigan, Spurs and the deputy...err the sherrif. Getting to the first qualifying round is a huge achievement and I wont be one to take it away from them.

Let's see if you can match or better Tottenham's Champions League Quarter Final of a few years ago (or our Semi-Final in 1962) before crowing too much.

THFC6061 said:
AwayDay said:

Let's see if you can match or better Tottenham's Champions League Quarter Final of a few years ago (or our Semi-Final in 1962) before crowing too much.

Fucking hell 6061 calling someone for crowing. I've heard it all now.

AwayDay said:
I can see where you are coming from
It gives them a taste a big 'European nights' at the Lane
I'm just surprised not many of the squillions of season ticket waiting list wannabes couldn't get to the game

Does last night kinda feel like dejavu? Ht 0-0, dominant possessions, late goals... Kinda remind me of a certain sky blue team last year...

squirtyflower said:
AwayDay said:
I can see where you are coming from
It gives them a taste a big 'European nights' at the Lane
I'm just surprised not many of the squillions of season ticket waiting list wannabes couldn't get to the game

Agreed, I think the Europa League has a weaker set of teams this season but I fully support its existence, I think its a fantastic competition and the Sheriff's of this world slog it out all year in their own leagues and they earn the reward of nights like last night, and they certainly didn't embarrass themselves.

The preliminary rounds are those guys Champions League and I think it's unfair to take it away from them. I understand 6061's statement and I think some people are being a bit pedantic just to have a go at him, but I can see why people could take him to have meant the Group Stage dropouts who obviously are the elite teams entering the competition.

THFC6061 said:
AwayDay said:

And games you never went too?!!<br /><br />-- Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:50 pm --<br /><br />
mancitymick said:
THFC6061 said:
AwayDay said:

And games you never went too?!!
Infact what was the last time you went to a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.