The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty said:
It's too early to be talking about sacking AVB, you can't spend £100m+ in the summer on so many new players then sack the manager before Christmas! He needs to turn things around offensively though, and quickly. 9 from 12 isn't Champion's League level, it's not even mid table level. If Spurs finish outside the top 4 then I think AVB will, and probably should, be sacked. He's been backed financially to a level no other Spurs manager has been, and with United struggling, and last years "top 3" all bringing in a new manager, Spurs will likely never have a better opportunity to get a top 4 spot.

Hmmmm, I seem to remember exactly that same scenario happening to Mark Hughes in 2009. However, I think the two sets of circumstances (Hughes at City, AVB at Spurs) are totally different. Hughes wasn't the choice of our owner to be manager, whereas AVB is. Plus Tottenham don't have the luxury of being able to go out and spend another £100 million should they sack AVB and bring someone else in, whereas we could.

Spurs simply have to stick with AVB for the time being and hope that things will turn around for them quickly. I actually rate AVB as a good manager and think that this is more a case of him having to integrate so many new players and not really knowing his best formation. I looked at their bench the other day and what struck me was how strong it was.

M18CTID said:
Hmmmm, I seem to remember exactly that same scenario happening to Mark Hughes in 2009. However, I think the two sets of circumstances (Hughes at City, AVB at Spurs) are totally different. Hughes wasn't the choice of our owner to be manager, whereas AVB is. Plus Tottenham don't have the luxury of being able to go out and spend another £100 million should they sack AVB and bring someone else in, whereas we could.

Spurs simply have to stick with AVB for the time being and hope that things will turn around for them quickly. I actually rate AVB as a good manager and think that this is more a case of him having to integrate so many new players and not really knowing his best formation. I looked at their bench the other day and what struck me was how strong it was.

My concern on the formation front is that he does know his best - or rather preferred - formation, but that said formation is not really working out for us. Whether that's because of the players we have not actually being suitable or because of them not performing to the best of their ability is the question. If it's just a matter of our attacking players underperforming then, in theory, we should improve. If it's a case of them not being suited to AVB's preferred style/formation then we have a bigger problem. Unless AVB is prepared to change his style.

The one thing that frustrates me the most is the constant use of inverted wingers. That is a big part of why our attacking play has been so ineffective IMO. So many people comment on Townsend being our stand out performer this season but he hasn't actually had that much of an impact. I'm convinced that if he was on the left wing he would be just as effective as taking players on and beating them, but would get outside his man and put crosses in far more often. This should give Soldado more to work with and also allow the other players to get into the box more frequently. As it is he just cuts in and shoots virtually every time. Because he's so good at beating his man he gets to do this a lot, which is why our stats for shots on goal look so good on paper. In reality, though, they are mostly half chances at best.

gooner2 said:
prestonibbo_mcfc said:
gooner2 said:
I do my research mate. I have shown with the statistic i bring in on here that i don,t say things without evidence. We can have civil discourse without resorting to lies that i am wum. That is done without any evidence at all . Its a total lie.

And statistics generally tell you what ? Today's re City v Spurs couldn't be more misleading, if you didn't
know the final result.

fair enough that they don,t always tell you what will happen but they point out to when team been consistent the whole year or have a good defence , midfield or up front. that is all i am saying.
I'm the last person who should correct someone on their grammar but fuck me stop it with the 'Don,t'. It's don't.

mac said:
supercrystal7 said:
citykev28 said:
How on earth would you know what type of players AVB asked for?

It's a guess, but it is a fairly educated guess I believe based on the formations he has tried and where he has played certain people. Also looks at the players he was supposed to have wanted at Chelsea and Tottenham were linked with in the early days. As expected he was linked with Portuguese/Brazilian players. The three he was particularly keen on were Oscar, Moutinho and Leandro are the same he seemed to be after at Tottenham as well. None of the players he has brought in resemble the type of player AVB wanted in the past. AVB is not a fool either. Very rarely do managers buy players that don't fit into a hypothetical formation.
Your chairman and getmeawayfromhere bought an entire team that don't fit.so it must be a landan thing

Yes Steve Parish messed up by agreeing to sign so many players, but he was just backing his manager. The fault here lies with Holloway, who completely lost his head and signed everyone available without bothering to think how he was going to fit them into a team or if they were mercenaries. It is hard to fathom what he was thinking. Gayle cannot play as a lone target man, but then you buy so many midfielders. Jedinak is never going to be playing a free flowing passing game so how do you plan to fit him in with Campana. So many mercenaries destroyed the team spirit and then he quit. This is often happens to managers who suddenly gets lot of money and want to make the quick step up.

PSG, City under Hughes, QPR under Hughes and Sunderland are some other examples. However, in the case of Sunderland, PSG and Tottenham the manager was not to blame for the signings it was the board and directors of football.

Matty said:
It's too early to be talking about sacking AVB, you can't spend £100m+ in the summer on so many new players then sack the manager before Christmas! He needs to turn things around offensively though, and quickly. 9 from 12 isn't Champion's League level, it's not even mid table level. If Spurs finish outside the top 4 then I think AVB will, and probably should, be sacked. He's been backed financially to a level no other Spurs manager has been, and with United struggling, and last years "top 3" all bringing in a new manager, Spurs will likely never have a better opportunity to get a top 4 spot.

Somebody has to take responsibility for spending 100 million on that dross.
Last year, many people would have said that Bale was masking Spurs' offensive problems with individual brilliance. They spent 100 million but did almost nothing to address that basic problem.

bleed.blue said:
Matty said:

Somebody has to take responsibility for spending 100 million on that dross.
Last year, many people would have said that Bale was masking Spurs' offensive problems with individual brilliance. They spent 100 million but did almost nothing to address that basic problem.
He won them a bloody load of points last season. He isn't around now, and those that have come in are sub-standard (at the moment anyway).

I'd go with (currently fit):

------------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker----Dawson----Kaboul---Vertonghen
------------------Paulinho---Sandro--------------
Lennon---------------Dembele-----------Lamela
-------------------------Soldado----------------------

No idea why Lennon ended up on the left. He has no shooting end product. They could benefit from the overlapping flanks and getting in crosses.

FrostyNRG said:
M18CTID said:

My concern on the formation front is that he does know his best - or rather preferred - formation, but that said formation is not really working out for us. Whether that's because of the players we have not actually being suitable or because of them not performing to the best of their ability is the question. If it's just a matter of our attacking players underperforming then, in theory, we should improve. If it's a case of them not being suited to AVB's preferred style/formation then we have a bigger problem. Unless AVB is prepared to change his style.

The one thing that frustrates me the most is the constant use of inverted wingers. That is a big part of why our attacking play has been so ineffective IMO. So many people comment on Townsend being our stand out performer this season but he hasn't actually had that much of an impact. I'm convinced that if he was on the left wing he would be just as effective as taking players on and beating them, but would get outside his man and put crosses in far more often. This should give Soldado more to work with and also allow the other players to get into the box more frequently. As it is he just cuts in and shoots virtually every time. Because he's so good at beating his man he gets to do this a lot, which is why our stats for shots on goal look so good on paper. In reality, though, they are mostly half chances at best.
Agree about Townsend. Those runs have to have an end product or the cross / final ball has to be there.

Spurs have to get more balls into Soldado. That seems to have been a point made by MOTD pundit and I agree with them

I remember 2 seasons ago we stuck 6 past Utd at Old Trafford and it kick-started their season. Spurs are only 2 points behind City, and City have to go back to the Lane at some point

With all the changes there was going to be problems - likewise at City

I am not sure about AVB but I'd like to see him do well as long as you stay behind us.

Good Luck against Utd. A decent result and performance will quickly change your outlook.

alky313 said:
I'd go with (currently fit):

------------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker----Dawson----Kaboul---Vertonghen
------------------Paulinho---Sandro--------------
Lennon---------------Dembele-----------Lamela
-------------------------Soldado----------------------

No idea why Lennon ended up on the left. He has no shooting end product. They could benefit from the overlapping flanks and getting in crosses.

You'd start Lennon over Townsend (he was rested)? Interesting

Vertonghen needs to be back at centre half, rose (when fit) at left back, walker needs dr Frankenstein on speed dial (shite), erikson in for lamela and dembele up top next to soldAdo, he'll score Jack shit up top on his own!!!!

a lot of good players,who are going to need time to blend and settle in ,spurs will be in the mix for a top 4 spot come the end of the season,those writing their new signings off after 12 games are jumping the gun ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.