The TV Quiz Show Thread

But that’s the point, if you have a lack of general knowledge why go on a quiz show?

On my part I don’t know anything about - soaps, reality TV, modern music and the latest films. I would make a complete fool of myself if those questions came up.

It's not just general knowledge but you need to know alot about usa for some bizarre reason. I never understand why uk quiz shows think the average brit knows anything about American rounders or armored rugby let alone usa history.

I wonder in usa quiz shows have lots of questions about uk sport and history

But they will probably know it is not a coastal Scottish Castle as the occupants go on game shoots and fish in the river Dee. It is a problem these days that the people of the British Isles are ignorant of its geography. I despair of some of the answers given on quiz programmes. Only tonight on University Challenge there was questions on places ending in “ington” - (1) a district of Sunderland with the same name as a US president they didn’t have a clue, (2) A town in the East Lothians the students plumped for ‘Warrington”, (3) A town on the M/c Ship Canal midway between the two major cities they realised that that was their previous answer and got 5 points.
Beaches don't have to be next to the sea, they can be next to lakes, rivers, streams etc.

But that’s the point, if you have a lack of general knowledge why go on a quiz show?

On my part I don’t know anything about - soaps, reality TV, modern music and the latest films. I would make a complete fool of myself if those questions came up.
Soaps: Just guess Eastenders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street
Reality TV: Just guess The Only Way Is Essex, Geordie Shore or Kardashians
Modern Music: Just guess Ed Sheeran, Adele, Girls Aloud or One Direction
Films: that's tricky I agree.

That’s not really the point though. No one knows everything about everything. Therefore everybody has gaps in knowledge, generally in areas that you don’t care about, whether that is royal palaces or Love Island.

I'm always telling Mrs Ewing that there's no point in me going on a quiz show 'cos I'll get a question about a fuckin' pop song! Or a soap! Although watching Tenable the other day - Which ten PL and Championship grounds are nearest Manchester City? - the dozy bastards didn't get EFC or the Dippers. Mind, I completely forgot Blackburn and wouldn't have got Barnsley!

It is a problem these days that the people of the British Isles are ignorant of its geography.

I’d suggest that generally speaking people “these days” have a greater knowledge of British geography than at any other point in history.

One example: When they tried shifting my parents generation out of Hulme, five miles down the road to Wythenshawe, none of them had the slightest clue where it was. Other than this mythical town somewhere miles away that legend has it is full of greenery and no “streets”. London was “somewhere down south” You’d have struggled to find a single person who had even heard of Aberdeen. Let alone know which part of it some royal castle was in.

But they will probably know it is not a coastal Scottish Castle as the occupants go on game shoots and fish in the river Dee. It is a problem these days that the people of the British Isles are ignorant of its geography. I despair of some of the answers given on quiz programmes. Only tonight on University Challenge there was questions on places ending in “ington” - (1) a district of Sunderland with the same name as a US president they didn’t have a clue, (2) A town in the East Lothians the students plumped for ‘Warrington”, (3) A town on the M/c Ship Canal midway between the two major cities they realised that that was their previous answer and got 5 points.
Number 3 - Partington?

I'm always telling Mrs Ewing that there's no point in me going on a quiz show 'cos I'll get a question about a fuckin' pop song! Or a soap! Although watching Tenable the other day - Which ten PL and Championship grounds are nearest Manchester City? - the dozy bastards didn't get EFC or the Dippers. Mind, I completely forgot Blackburn and wouldn't have got Barnsley!
They had a similar one recently and it was the ten football teams in the football league (not Premier) from the old county of Yorkshire
They got to 8 - all women's team from Sheffield, the one who lasted the longest was a Blade and had been to most grounds with her dad - but didn't get Harrogate and the other one i was quietly screaming at the TV - Middlesbrough. She got knocked out when she just guessed Chesterfield.

I'm quite good at Geography in the UK purely from having travelled around the place watching City and looking at maps seeing where towns like Queen of the South and Raith are.....

They had a similar one recently and it was the ten football teams in the football league (not Premier) from the old county of Yorkshire
They got to 8 - all women's team from Sheffield, the one who lasted the longest was a Blade and had been to most grounds with her dad - but didn't get Harrogate and the other one i was quietly screaming at the TV - Middlesbrough. She got knocked out when she just guessed Chesterfield.

I'm quite good at Geography in the UK purely from having travelled around the place watching City and looking at maps seeing where towns like Queen of the South and Raith are.....
I still remember that BBC apparatchik who, when Raith Rovers had beaten either Celtic or Rangers suggested that their fans would be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight - only to be told by the Scottish reporter that they'd be dancing in the streets of Kirkcaldy! Priceless!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.