The "which famous person died today" thread

Aww only just seen Ray Reardons died. Always played with a smile. Before the game became robotic and 100 breaks ten a penny, he played in the Joe Davis, Spencer, Charlton, Rex Williams era when it was played by gentlemen at a gentle pace. Then Alex Hurricane Higgins rocked up and it was never the same again. Still remember being 9 year old and totally transfixed with the 1982 final Reardon v Higgins. Higgins won which made me ecstatic, but I always had a deep admiration for this old looking guy who always seemed to have a smile on his face. RIP Dracula :(

Ray did an exhibition at Butlin's, Weston-super-Mare, when we were staying there in 1977.

He was a lovely man, and had a lot of repartee with his audience. We all loved it, and my sisters and I had our photo taken with him at the end of the session.

R. I. P. Ray. It was delightful.

Definitely one of the true greats of snooker. Even helped out Ronnie O'Sullivan when he was struggling a bit and turned him into an even better player. Was always up for a bit of a laugh too...

RIP Ray

Snooker in the 70s and 80s was just the absolute best. Although people bemoan Steve Davis, he was OK and pretty-much a one-off in amongst all the real characters, like these two. It was the 90s when turgid automations, like Stephen Hendry and Peter Ebdon, sucked all the life and enjoyment out of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.