The worst thing about farcical officiating

Hehe.. exactly.. And the Broadcast delay for televised games...
The betting companies are in front of the TV games but you won’t be able to get a bet on within 30 seconds of an on field decision either for or against you. It’s not like “spot” betting in Asia, it’s a very small percentage of betting turnover, there’s nothing in it for Premier League players to cheat. Any irregularities in betting would be easily seen, Bookmakers are risk assessors of the highest order, their algorithms and data are up there with the most sophisticated systems used within business. There’s no bookmaking cheating at Premier League level, guaranteed.

It doesn't work like that. It is an instiutional bias towards the cash cow clubs. The refs are scared of upsetting them because it could damage their careers. It is subtle and it is peer group pressure. PGMOL are clients of the PL and would go out of business without their support. The broadcasters and PL chiefs want United to do well for commercial reasons. There are lots of quite private conversations which make it clear to PGMOl not to upset the applecart. It is not about cash in brown envelopes, nor is it some sort of grand conspiracy. This sort of "old pals act" or "jobs for the boys" philosophy is rife in all aspects of British life...not just football.
Nail on head. Well said.

The most farcical thing about yesterday is that it proved that all the tinkering around the edges, changes of emphasis and worked examples that have been introduced as part of the interpretation of Rule 11 have actually made it worse.

'Offside' is about a player gaining an advantage. Rashford was able to protect the ball and therefore gained an advantage. Someone's toe being offside is not gaining an advantage. Someone coming back from an offside position and playing a ball when they're no longer offside is not (in my view) gaining an advantage.

Even with VAR, there should be two considerations. Is the attacking player gaining an advantage? Has the official made a clear error? If the answers are 'Yes' and 'No' respectively, then it's offside. If the answer to the first is 'No' then it's not offside.
Sorry PB but MUFC have issues with your post.

The betting companies are in front of the TV games but you won’t be able to get a bet on within 30 seconds of an on field decision either for or against you. It’s not like “spot” betting in Asia, it’s a very small percentage of betting turnover, there’s nothing in it for Premier League players to cheat. Any irregularities in betting would be easily seen, Bookmakers are risk assessors of the highest order, their algorithms and data are up there with the most sophisticated systems used within business. There’s no bookmaking cheating at Premier League level, guaranteed.
This is true, I back/lay on most days on the exchanges and a good friend of mine is an odds compiler for Corals too. Even if £100 worth of bets were rushed on for a Pacific Market, Throw ins, time of Yellow card, etc etc It would be picked up within seconds and looked into.

I agree with this. It’s too small time. If the corrupt people are in charge you have no need to bet on the outcome. The lower down the leagues you go though, it comes into play. But as you say, not in too large amounts as it attracts irregular betting patterns scrutiny.

The corruption is on mega sponsorship deals and cash for votes for tournaments etc. Referee’s have certainly received some expensive presents / holidays though. Also plenty of reports of Barcelona “envoys” wanting to pay UEFA to investigate our finances….again.

Match fix betting is for small time crooks who usually get caught. The real crooks don’t need to bother with it.

Perhaps no 'direct' cheating by the legitimate betting companies, but you are forgetting the unregulated markets who bet HEAVILY on the PL.

This is true, I back/lay on most days on the exchanges and a good friend of mine is an odds compiler for Corals too. Even if £100 worth of bets were rushed on for a Pacific Market, Throw ins, time of Yellow card, etc etc It would be picked up within seconds and looked into.
You are so correct, I used to work for William Hill back in the 80’s, the methods used then were rudimentary but worked. As an example if a punter wanted a tenner on the winner of Miss World at over 10/1 it would be “notified” to the Regional HO, if the same bet was repeated in other local shops it would be picked up and betting suspended even though the liability may have been less than a grand. There were different guidance for all events. Now, with EPOS data these bets are easily analysed and appropriate action taken.

It's like the old Two Ronnie's Sketch about Upper Class and Middle Class

Last season VAR didn't find enough evidence to reverse the non penalty for Rodri's alleged hand ball at Goodison Park.
If that had been a Bournemouth player at Goodison it would have been reversed.
Similarly if City had been playing at Anfield or Old Trafford it would have been awarded in the first place.

I'm not talking about people frauding the bookmakers... It's the other way around... It's the bookmakers in on the fraud because they have big incentive to be.. It's just another way they always win.. And anyway, there are lots of ways and places to bet.. We're talking 100's of billions money... just because you as a punter couldn't get away with something doesn't mean no-one else does.

I don't know what you think of the Leicester season.. But hypothetical assume it was a fix.. in that situation you don't think anyone within football profited from that somehow through gambling? Slating the club and Ranieri all summer while they lump on somewhere.. get real.

Anyway, if there was a broadcaster and bookmaker in collusion... If things went really against the plan they'd just cut the match feed and try and limit the damage. I can think of three high level matches where I think this happened.. Two on ITV digital and one on BT Sports...

The possibilities for manipulation within the game are endless... doesn't have to be Richard Keys with the ladbrokes app on his phone???

If akanji had pulled rashford down who hasn’t touched the ball and got a red card the decision would of been over turned for off side..

So the notion he wasn’t interfering it bent as it can be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.