The worst thing about farcical officiating

You know it’s bad when Liverpool fans think we got screwed. I’ve talked two Arsenal fans, two Liverpool fans, and one Real Madrid fan in the last 24 hours and they all think offsides was the right call.
Theres only 2 people in world football whi actually think it wasn’t offside. The ref and the rat faced cheat who scored.

I'll get right to the point . The game is bent and is being manipulated by the American owned clubs . It's not just this season , it's been quite a few seasons. Brilliance has overcome corruption over the last few years . Why can we never win at Anfield ? it's certainly not tactics or the scoucers outplaying City . Lets be honest united are shit , so how are they only 1 point behind us . It's not just games against us they've been given a helping hand . Notice the silence of the yanks selling up at o.t , that's the benefit of having officials in your pocket and collecting points they would never achieve without favourable officiating. Rags, dippers, spuds,gooners and chelsea all owned by the yanks . Next time that super league comes round, City won't have an invitation because it will be yanks only , along with the bent officials .
I’d rather just play in England anyway. Can’t be arsed with that Super League idea. Let the others go and do it if they want. I’d rather the Sheikh, Silver Lake and China sell their shares to someone else and just be a run-of-the-mill English club than join a Super League.

I didn't want City to be a part of the ESL then, and I don't now or at any time in the future.
I totally agree with you. I was just making the point that the invite won't be there next time. And there will be a next time, because greed and power rule certain people and groups .

Fair warning: this may be far too esoteric (and possibly tenuous) for some, which I can fully understand, so only read on if you are interested in one (potentially mad) bloke’s musings on the intersection of sport and political philosophy. You’ve been warned! ;-)

I was given “How Fascism Works” by Jason Stanley for Christmas by a family member based on our recent discussions on current political trends and how they are manifesting in many areas of life not normally considered political.

As I read it this morning (instead of watching the other PL matches), I realised that the fury that I still feel over this incident, and how it has further degraded my love of football—which has been one of the (if not the) most consistently important facets of my life since I was a young lad—is based at least partly on my rejection of similar tactics used by developing fascist regimes.

Under most dictators, part of the power originates from being able to do things, including making up rules as they go, with the knowledge there will be no meaningful challenge or dissent. In fact, some of the actions undertaken at times is for the sole purpose of demonstrating that sort of “I will do this and you will accept it without question” control. For the common person, it is intended to destroy their understanding of objective truth, fairness, and their belief in agency. It is meant to cultivate a powerlessness that will eventually lead to blind compliance.

And, whilst this is of course at a substantially lower level of consequence, the principle is very similar. With every blatantly farcical decision like the one yesterday, and the immediate mobilisation of the football industrial complex to legitimise it, a very similar degradation of our will to dissent (or even question as contrary to objective truth) is realised. Each time a little more of fans’ resolve to challenge incompetence and potential corruption is chipped away. Little-by-little, over time, we become more jaded and, if we persist in engaging with the product, more compliant. We resign ourselves to it just being “the way it is”. We accept the unfairness as natural and unavoidable. Perhaps even necessary for things to function.

You can see it in some of our comments after the match: “we just have to play better so they can’t cheat us”, “we’ve been shafted, it’s done, we need to move on”, “be happy it wasn’t worse”, “it’s up for interpretation, so even though it’s never been given before and will likely never be given again, we have to accept it”. We’re slowly conceding any expectation of equitable treatment or adherence to the standards of fair competition.

I say all of this to provide a different context for why it is infuriating, the cumulative effects of these incidents, and how it can actually be a tool for further manipulation. I don’t want it be construed that I think they are equally important — your club being potentially cheated out of points or silverware and the oppression under fascist regimes are not remotely of the same level of significance.

But there are, in my mind, common and unfortunate themes between how such regimes and how sport governing bodies operate these days. These are well tested and oft successful strategies for a reason. And it’s important to recognise and challenge even lesser importance applications of such tactics, especially when it comes to efforts to destroy the concept of objective fairness, when you see them manifesting.

That is especially as sport (and indeed football) has been used in the past to seed and legitimise these abhorrent mechanisms. It can be an effective route for more impactful control. And we have plenty of examples of such tactics being employed elsewhere these days. They are insidious.

It needs to be challenged at every level or it becomes the default.

Fair warning: this may be far too esoteric (and possibly tenuous) for some, which I can fully understand, so only read on if you are interested in the intersection of sport and political philosophy. You’ve been warned! ;-)

I was given “How Fascism Works” by Jason Stanley for Christmas by a family member based on our recent discussions on current political trends and how they are manifesting in many areas of life not normally considered policial.

As I read it this morning (instead of watching the other PL matches), I realised that the fury that I still feel over this incident, and how it has further degraded my love of football—which has been one of the (if not the) most consistently important facets of my life since I was a young lad—is based at least partly on my rejection of similar tactics used by developing fascist regimes.

Under most dictators, part of the power originates from being able to do things, including making up rules as they go, with the knowledge there will be no meaningful challenge or dissent. In fact, some of the actions undertaken at times is for the sole purpose of demonstrating that sort of “I will do this and you will accept it without question” control. For the common person, it is intended to destroy their understanding of objective truth, fairness, and their belief in agency. It is meant to cultivate a powerlessness that will eventually lead to blind compliance.

And, whilst this is of course at a substantially lower level of consequence, the principle is very similar. With every blatantly farcical decision like the one yesterday, and the immediate mobilisation of the football industrial complex to legitimise it, a very similar degradation of our will to dissent (or even question as contrary to objective truth) is realised. Each time a little more of fans’ resolve to challenge incompetence and potential corruption is chipped away. Little-by-little, over time, we become more jaded and, if we persist in engaging with the product, more compliant. We resign ourselves to it just being “the way it is”. We accept the unfairness as natural and unavoidable. Perhaps even necessary for things to function.

You can see it in some of our comments after the match: “we just have to play better so they can’t cheat us”, “we’ve been shafted, it’s done, we need to move on”, “be happy it wasn’t worse”, “it’s up for interpretation, so even though it’s never been given before and will likely never be given again, we have to accept it”. We’re slowly conceding any expectation of equitable treatment or adherence to the standards of fair competition.

I say all of this to provide a different context for why it is infuriating, the cumulative effects of these incidents, and how it can actually be a tool for further manipulation. I don’t want it be construed that I think they are equally important — your club being potentially cheated out of points or silverware and the oppression under fascist regimes are not remotely of the same level of significance.

But there are, in my mind, common and unfortunate themes between how such regimes and how sport governing bodies operate these days. These are well tested and oft successful strategies for a reason. And it’s important to recognise and challenge even lesser importance applications of such tactics, especially when it comes to efforts to destroy the concept of objective fairness, when you see them manifesting.

That is especially as sport (and indeed football) has been used in the past to seed and legitimise these abhorrent mechanisms. It can be an effective route for more impactful control. And we have plenty of examples of such tactics being employed elsewhere these days. They are insidious.

It needs to be challenged at every level or it becomes the default.
Take a look at the current state of politics in the US.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.