The Youth

I know 3 people who are working/living abroad and they are far from wealthy. I swear some people only live their lives in their heads.
But it is possible if their parents are wealthy, is it not?

Which is what I said.

If you’re going to so stridently question what a poster has said, you might need to polish up your English comprehension skills a bit.

But it is possible if their parents are wealthy, is it not?

Which is what I said.

If you’re going to so stridently question what a poster has said, you might need to polish up your English comprehension skills a bit.

None of the people I know are wealthy, you inferred that they could if they were wealthy and the other poster flat out denied people could. Nothing wrong with my comprehension at all in the context of the discussion.

People can live and work abroad after Brexit and they do.

None of the people I know are wealthy, you inferred that they could if they were wealthy and the other poster flat out denied people could. Nothing wrong with my comprehension at all in the context of the discussion.

People can live and work abroad after Brexit and they do.
Well clearly there is something wrong with your comprehension of this discussion, as I didn’t infer it at all. I expressly stated it.

I was chatting to someone the other week and he mentioned that a huge number of people on his uni course went abroad for work because there were better opportunities for them.

I’m a little older and I don’t know anyone who moved overseas when starting work.

One of my kids is currently looking at Electrical Engineering degrees (or possibly degree apprenticeships) he's very keen on the idea of leaving the UK after his studies and he's skewing his decisions to give him that sort of option. He has a mate who is by all accounts a talented Oxbridge level physicist and another who is the strongest mathematician in what is a large 6th form and they both also have been discussing the benefits of life outside the UK with him. I would estimate out of his friendship group maybe as many as a third are working on the premise they'll leave the UK sooner rather than later and about half are open to the idea.

Now that's only anecdotal but I find it really disturbing that if those sorts of conversations are taking place at anywhere near the same levels in other schools and colleges what type of brain drain and skills shortages are we looking at?

I don't think this is just the repeating pattern of generational differences and young people moaning. I think it's qualitatively different and I think over the last period we've broken a lot of young people's relationship with this country as both citizens and economic actors.

I'm hoping that if we now see even some small movements towards greater equitably and some evidence we have the will to tackle our structural issues that it might persuade our youngsters that it's a place worth living and contributing to.

It's an appalling and quite disturbing situation for us to have got ourselves into and I think some people just don't realise that ultimately you reap what you sow.

My thought is that there should be no such thing as peak or off peak fares (on the train). It's unfair on workers.
Why you have to pay a surcharge to go to work, often to stand in cramped and potentially unsafe conditions, baffles me.
You don’t.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.