Ticket Prices

When I first moved down to that London in the early 80s, I used to decide whether or not to go to an away game on the morning of the game, based on the weather and/or if I was fit to drive there.

Get up, get in car, drive to (say) Sunderland, pay on the gate, find mates, watch match, go home.

Never got locked out, rarely had to buy a ticket, went in the home section if the City end was full. Never had any bother.

Probably got to more aways than home games over the 80s, early 90s. Then Sky and the scousers ruined it.

Younger fans will never get to experience the game like that.

Spot on mate, great days they were.

I may be wrong but I feel the days of staunch loyalty to one club no matter what division they are in and how well they are doing successfully may be over.

When many of us older fans grew up football was the main affordable...an important word, pastetime. There was no internet, mass coverage of live games available, your TV football was one game on MOTD and two games on Sunday afternoon, none live. The only live games were the FA cup final and the odd international. No tickets were required except for big games. You decided on the day, hopped on a bus or train, queued up, paid cash and you were in, no questions asked. That spontaneity has now gone.

If we lose a generation of new young fans and stop winning trophies again we're going to be in the shit. Us older fans are sadly dying or becoming too frail to attend every game. I think somebody mentioned £34 for a kids ticket, that's insane. Personally for me £35 was the top whack I was willing to pay except for cup finals. Luckily due to having a season ticket I never had to pay more. I certainly wouldn't pay £68 for a league game, not a chance in hell.
It's so shortsighted. I think we will always have a local following in Manchester and within 50 miles of the city. But whether it will be a proper matchgoing following like the older generation is the big question - it's not difficult to imagine a club with an even bigger armchair following who consume it through shirts, FIFA, FPL and telly but wouldn't dream of setting foot in the ground because a YouTube plastic will do it for them. And be in Napoli the next week and Dortmund the week after.

Which still represents income for the club - but makes for a worse spectacle that won't be exciting to the international audience the club is trying to engage. As we saw during lockdown when fans weren't allowed in - it was a crap season to watch, because fans are part of the action.

After lockdown I think a lot of people realised they were taking things on their doorstep for granted and wanted to get out and live. And this has been to the advantage of City, with empty seats now a rarity and lots of armchair fans and lapsed matchgoers converted into going to games. Which is really healthy. But now that could be jeopardised by the club getting silly with pricing. It's not just tickets - a pie on it's own should not cost over £5.

The one thing I have to say the club got right was making tickets available at fairer prices earlier in the season. It helped me personally although it doesn't work for everyone.

But it still doesn't mean £70 is reasonable for 90 minutes - today's £70 is 2025's £100, and we've had five games in the last two weeks.

I think somebody mentioned £34 for a kids ticket, that's insane. Personally for me £35 was the top whack I was willing to pay except for cup finals.
as far as I can see,the cheapest ticket for an under 18 tonight is £45,for a kid,jesus wept.

I may be wrong but I feel the days of staunch loyalty to one club no matter what division they are in and how well they are doing successfully may be over.

When many of us older fans grew up football was the main affordable...an important word, pastetime. There was no internet, mass coverage of live games available, your TV football was one game on MOTD and two games on Sunday afternoon, none live. The only live games were the FA cup final and the odd international. No tickets were required except for big games. You decided on the day, hopped on a bus or train, queued up, paid cash and you were in, no questions asked. That spontaneity has now gone.

If we lose a generation of new young fans and stop winning trophies again we're going to be in the shit. Us older fans are sadly dying or becoming too frail to attend every game. I think somebody mentioned £34 for a kids ticket, that's insane. Personally for me £35 was the top whack I was willing to pay except for cup finals. Luckily due to having a season ticket I never had to pay more. I certainly wouldn't pay £68 for a league game, not a chance in hell.
You make an interesting point about loyalty. I live in Nottingham but Forest have a situation where only members can get tickets and there were limited memberships available and you needed a previous purchase history to buy a membership. Effectively they locked out new fans via their membership policy. So, to take my kids to watch top flight football, the easiest option was to buy Citizens membership and take them to watch City. At least anyone can buy a membership. Having said that, I am looking for value for money and wouldn't pay £68/£40 for tickets. Demand for tickets has risen (Haaland, after lockdown etc) and City are pushing the price discovery to see what they can charge and still sell out. Not great for the local fans. Like Forest, it's short sighted.

You make an interesting point about loyalty. I live in Nottingham but Forest have a situation where only members can get tickets and there were limited memberships available and you needed a previous purchase history to buy a membership. Effectively they locked out new fans via their membership policy. So, to take my kids to watch top flight football, the easiest option was to buy Citizens membership and take them to watch City. At least anyone can buy a membership. Having said that, I am looking for value for money and wouldn't pay £68/£40 for tickets. Demand for tickets has risen (Haaland, after lockdown etc) and City are pushing the price discovery to see what they can charge and still sell out. Not great for the local fans. Like Forest, it's short sighted.

That's crazy from Forest but with a smaller ground they may be at capacity?

For the floating new fan the new found excitement can soon fade. A couple more defeats and all we'll be playing for is a top four place. Interest will soon drop them, no one is paying £68 for a nothing game.

Mine has now been sold, which came as a surprise, but it is one of the "cheapest" available.
Email about 5.15? If so i reckon that's sold to the club. Ours were available at 5 and then sold as they took all exchange seats off sale. Expecting seats to be empty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.