Ticket Prices

The sooner the club see the direct correlation between lower ticket prices and improved atmosphere, the better.

We’ll soon see when the club reveals the North stand expansion plans. By that I don’t mean season ticket or match day ticket prices because that info won’t be made public until the stand is built and season tickets and match day tickets go on sale for it, but the layout of the stand, all seater, safe standing, a mixture, a singing section, an area for our younger more vocal fans, a corporate area/s, etc.That will give us an early indication if the club are going to do something positive and different with the expanded North stand, or whether the club is going to replicate one or a mixture of the 3 other stands we’ve already got.

TBH RIc, the club have known about that correlation from day one. Khaldoon, Soriano and the director’s aren’t stupid. They’ve chosen to ignore that correlation and have decided to prioritise revenue growth instead, and in the process they’ve ignored the concerns and pleas about season ticket and match day ticket price rises from the fans over 10 of the last 11 seasons. These guys aren’t stupid.(repeat) They’re clever, educated, hard nosed business people with a remit from Khaldoon and Soriano to drive revenue by any means necessary.

Last edited:
The sooner the club see the direct correlation between lower ticket prices and improved atmosphere, the better.
Tbh, I’m not sure we have a ticket price issue at City in general. Instead I think we have a specific issue with prices for individual premier league home games.

Our domestic cup and European ticket prices are pretty fair I think, as are our seasoncard prices. For me as a citizens member it’s the “flexible” (high) pricing of many PL tickets that’s the issue - and the fact they all go on sale at/before the start of the season instead of the old 4/6 weeks in advance rolling sales of before.

But I fully agree with your general point. (Wasn’t the Hamburg game an example of that iirc?)

Pep moans about the atmosphere, but what do you do when the real fans are priced out of the game? The Derby at home there were 50 plus Chinese fans sat around me, why did the club change the points system to anyone who gets a citizen membership get a ticket? The club have fucked the loyal fans over and chased the money, so maybe Pep should shut his mouth and call the owners out not the fans, but he won't because he is earning millions a year
For the Derby you needed cityzen plus 4 home games last season.

I am not sure there is the natural demand from young people nowadays unless they get in the habit of going because of their parents interest. I am not sure it is the cost. Every so often there was something to celebrate at work and I would go along and the cost of the drinks/cocktails that the young lads and girls were buying amazed me. Of course, if they were still living at home their wages were just spending money. On one occasion I could not attend and I asked a couple of lads who claimed to be City supporters if they wanted to use my ticket free of charge. They both said they had arranged to go shopping with their girlfriends that afternoon! In general I think it is a different world from when I started watching City with much more choice of activities.

I have incidentally found it impossible to give away my seat for a big game when I have asked older supposed City supporters to use my ticket when I was not well on the morning of the match. The usual answer was they preferred to watch it on TV. In the end I gave up trying.

You think Rags and Dippers charge less than us for beat seats, no way. And they don't have the S/T exchange option as we do.
Well they do. The minimum adult price we're charging for a presumed Category B game today is £58.

Funnily enough, that's the maximum price you'd pay as an adult for ANY game at united. They charge the same price per seat, regardless of the opponent. So whether it's us, Liverpool, Wolves, or Southampton on a Wednesday night, the maximum general admission price will be £58 (minimum adult price is £36). Liverpool operate the same system with a maximum adult price of £59, and the minimum adult price £37.

Arsenal, for a Category B game, would be from £38 to £58.50. Chelsea adult member prices are from £39-£56 for a Category B game. Non-members will pay £44-£61. Spurs start from £43 for Category B and go up to £95, but I think those are some sort of premium seats. The highest general seat is £68 from what I can see.

So the cheapest at Spurs is £14 less than our cheapest but the difference at other four clubs is around £20.

We've become money-grabbing, rip-off merchants.

Last edited:
Well they do. The minimum adult price we're charging for a presumed Category B game today is £58.

Funnily enough, that's the maximum price you'd pay as an adult for ANY game at united. They charge the same price per seat, regardless of the opponent. So whether it's us, Liverpool, Wolves, or Southampton on a Wednesday night, the maximum general admission price will be £58 (minimum adult price is £36). Liverpool operate the same system with a maximum adult price of £59, and the minimum adult price £37.

Arsenal, for a Category B game, would be from £38 to £58.50. Chelsea adult member prices are from £39-£56 for a Category B game. Non-members will pay £44-£61.

We've become money-grabbing, rip-off merchants.
Does commercial revenue from global sponsorship, TV rights, players being sold and winning the league dwarf the mark up the club makes from ticket sales?

If so, why piss off the fan base to chase an extra few pennies. I'm not suggesting the club acts as a charity but £58 a PL home game is ridiculous. Does adding an extra £20 to £30 to the price actually boost balance sheets? Does more harm to the fan than helping the club.

It would be wrong to assume that price alone will guarantee an atmosphere in the new North Stand. If all tickets were priced at 350 people would move there to save money, not because they wanted to create noise.

South Stand Level 3 is very reasonably priced for a season ticket and it’s hit and miss for atmosphere. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s poor. It mostly comes down to peoples enthusiasm for it all, if it was price alone it would be rocking up there most weeks.

Some real thought will have to go into the process. Even if they advertised blocks as singing only you will still get people wanting to sit there to be near it without getting involved and we’ll get the same as we have today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.