Tottenham Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hart
Sagna, Kompany, Otamendi, Clichy
Sterling, Dinho, Delph, Barker
Kelechi, Kun
Not the game for Barker. I know it's fashionable to leave Yaya out of predicted first XIs these days but Barker would be hauled off at half-time if he started - remember his loan move to Rotherham was terminated a month ago? Yeah. There's time yet for Barker to make a name for himself, but not Sunday. We should go with a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with a packed midfield, overlapping full backs and Sterling in the hole. It's easily adaptable to 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 depending on how the game is panning out and it's the most ideal way to compensate for our shortage of attacking midfielders. Liverpool pushed us all the way in 2014 with Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho in a three behind Sterling, who supported Suarez and Sturridge.

Hart
Zabaleta - Kompany - Otamendi - Kolarov/Clichy
Yaya Toure - Fernandinho - Delph
Sterling
Aguero - Kelechi

Caballero, Clichy/Kolarov, Sagna, Demichelis, Fernando, Celina, Bony.

I'm fearing the worst for this game, in all honesty. Spurs have suddenly found this ability to win comfortably away from home (3 wins, 2 draws from their last five away games in the league) and our performances have been patchy for months now. If there was ever a time for Pellegrini to stop being so stubborn in big games and turn our season around then Sunday has to be it, but I think after three years we'd have seen signs of that by now. We'll no doubt set up 4-4-2 with Toure and Fernandinho in the middle with Sterling and Delph on the wings or something, and we'll be overrun. Spurs are an energetic, technical and athletic team with some genuinely wonderful young players, Alli especially, and a manager we seem to hate playing against (we usually beat Pochettino's teams comfortably on paper but the performances are never convincing).

I'm hoping for a 2-2 draw and an Arsenal win over Leicester just so we can stay in touch.

Pellegrini is a bang average manager who has been extremely lucky to manage City for three years. He knew ages ago that the writing was on the wall for him and the poor performance against Leicester was nothing we hadn't seen before. There was a pre season game in Germany where we were a defensive shambles and every third game or so we implode, especially against the better teams. It's his fault that we don't defend better as a unit, no sympathy.

Besides all that Jupp Heynkes knew he was leaving Bayern but still won the treble in the shadow of Pep. Difference being Heynkes was a top coach and Pellegrini never was, isn't and never will be.

Brilliant post

At the moment we seem to be relying on Aguero to keep us in the hunt. But if we can just keep in touch for the next month until a few of the injured players (especially Kompany) are back we could put a run together. With City things can swing from despair to jubilation (and back) fairly quickly. And the other contenders will drop points.

If Aguero and Kompany each play in more than 10 of the remaining fixtures we will win the league.
I like your optimism for sure but we need one of our playmakers back and in form for that to happen. I can't see that happen because I suspect David is either going to continue to play through pain and not be at his peak or will need rested to get rid of his injury. Samir and Kev are going to be back too late. That leaves us really short unless we do something completely left field like trust one of the youngsters in a playmaker position or Yaya suddenly clicks. I will be happy enough with top three and a cup given our current form and injuries.

Tottenham represent everything that our team hates in terms of their work rate. Its going tobe a hard game to win.

Thats why we have very little chance. Id take a point now just
Anyone actually confident about this game?

Be surprised if theres any. We haven't turned up in the league since the first 5 games.

Will Spurs press high and play a high line? If so we're probably better to try our recent cup tactics of a quick mobile team and be happy to cede possession and try and play balls for forwards to chase or be ready to counterattack. Means the crowd would have to be patient as well.

It won't happen, but this should be the team, plenty of legs and just enough guile to pose enough attacking threat to edge it.

...........................HART.....................

......SAGNA...KOMPANY....OTAMENDI...CLICHY....

ZABALETA....DELPH....FERNANDINHO.....STERLING
............................KELECHI................
........................AGUERO............................

Barker? You have got to be fucking kidding me. Why would you throw an untried kid into a game like this. He has only just started to trust Kelechi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.