Tourists

I'm not going to moan about the new type of supporter that we are getting. I have been priced out of the big games, £54 for Liverpool and Chelsea is just too much for me, but at least there is someone who will pay these prices. I am just coming up to the cup matches and the B/C matches. Not ideal for me, but the times they are a changing.

I noticed it too, and that was just from the few shots of the crowd they showed on tv over here in the US. But take care fellow Blues, because as much as the Asian or Middle Eastern fan tends to stick out because of their appearance/language, and as much as we all hate the idea of plastic fan types with half and half scarves and zero loyalty or knowledge of the club they are "following", it is fair to say that not all of the foreign fans one sees at a match are a part of that demographic.

In fact, for some it may be one of the biggest days of their life, the achievement of a longtime goal to finally see their club in person. They may live and die with the club via satellite television and the OS. They may have paid those exhorbitant secondary prices and be sat right up front because they know that this is their one shot at it. Hell, even I , who have never set foot in England, felt that tinge of "ooh, they don't really belong" when I saw some of the above fans sat behind one of the corner flags.. Again, that's just from seeing the games on tv: I knew that they were "new", because it's not who I usually see there when the camera zooms in for corner kicks.. So if I feel it as a relatively recent fan then I know it must sting you lifers. But I have to step back and remind myself that they might be just like me: possibly a fan for only a few years, but nonetheless very informed, very passionate, and VERY excited to be there.

I would be able to blend in. Faking a Manc accent notwithstanding, I'm a white guy. I'd never be caught dead in a split scarf, and I at least know what a meat pie is (though I've never had a proper one). I doubt anything will be able to ruin my first match experience when it happens, but I will say that I hope to be welcomed with open arms, and it would hurt if the greater good of cheering on City together with the rest of you was cheapened by people sniggering at the weird foreign guy. My experience with other Blues on this continent has been that they are some of the nicest, most welcoming, and most knowledgable folks around. I have to believe the same must be mostly true in Manchester.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel bad that these fans are subject to negativity because of the way they look. Assuming they have on City gear and don't act like complete fools, they should be given the benefit of the doubt, because as much as you are judging them, they are judging you too. Ostensibly, they are converts from a far away land and this may be their first time in church. greet them like a true believer and let god sort out the heretics. The good fans want desperately to be a part of a wonderful thing, and the bad ones won't last anyway.

off topic but just seen on BBC evening news that a ticket in the bundesliga is 13 Euro which includes travel to the game.

RIP OFF Britain.

BimboBob said:
notts blue said:
fallowfield said:
I hope you tell anyone local who gives you shit about being a glory hunter where to go.
Anyone 'daft' enough to follow City through the 80's and 90's and have to travel from Notts, Chesterfield, Leicester etc as a fair few blues have done deserves a medal!
It was bad enough when i could walk to the ground or only having to jump on a bus. God knows if i'd have bothered if I'd have to travel to get to mcr as well.

dont worry mate i do!

or when i tell them i once drove to bath for a tuesday night fa cup replay against bristol rovers on my own normally shuts the fuckers up!

all my close mates are forest and know ive been following city since school days, its the strangers or people i work for, there's a lot of anti city brigade around nowdays around here, its all jelousy at the end of the day!

unfortunatley every game for me is an away game, villa away is an hour away so happy days!

Been just outside Northampton for 15 years and I've had the pity, the piss taking and now the glory glory bit. I just tell them that before City I was a Chelsea fan and then they got shit. Shuts them up straight away.

My mates around these parts know different and for a long time I was known as "City" in my local pub. There's a few more of us now though. Not sure how I feel about that if I'm honest.

Same problems my end in shropshire, not really known as a hotbed for football teams.. Only shrewsbury town and I'm from a town despised by shrewsbury so thats a no go. My town is a hotbed for rags and blues and reds of liverpool and Leeds fans from the Revie era also the West Midlands teams. Wolves is the nearest big club. But I'm about as mancunian as I am from wolves so it makes no difference. My old man, however, was a glory chaser and supported city since the early 70s. But he kept the faith and travelled weekly in the wilderness years and took me to Maine road as a kid and that was it. Hooked and in love for life.

I find myself having to justify myself to armchair fans. I've got a pic in my wallet of me as a lad outside the front of Maine road with my 94/95 shirt on. Normally shuts them up.

It's still early days for city, but they are on course to being a global brand. That's the price you pay for trophies and star names, I understand the worries about tickets etc but our sheikh isn't exactly abramovich, seems to have his head screwed on and knows the heart and soul of the club is the people who "were there when we were shit"

Lets enjoy the ride... MCFC OK!

did you see the Arabian bloke with the bird of prey in city square people having there photos taken with him

There was an Asian man and woman next to me yesterday, they must have bought the tickets on viagogo off the ST holders.
When the game kicked off they sat down, and it took them a few minutes to realise they wouldn't see anything.

He spent most of the game taking photos and she kept on sitting down for a rest.

I was going to ask them if they were coming for the Barnsley game but I stayed nice.

green pennies said:
I noticed it too, and that was just from the few shots of the crowd they showed on tv over here in the US. But take care fellow Blues, because as much as the Asian or Middle Eastern fan tends to stick out because of their appearance/language, and as much as we all hate the idea of plastic fan types with half and half scarves and zero loyalty or knowledge of the club they are "following", it is fair to say that not all of the foreign fans one sees at a match are a part of that demographic.

In fact, for some it may be one of the biggest days of their life, the achievement of a longtime goal to finally see their club in person. They may live and die with the club via satellite television and the OS. They may have paid those exhorbitant secondary prices and be sat right up front because they know that this is their one shot at it. Hell, even I , who have never set foot in England, felt that tinge of "ooh, they don't really belong" when I saw some of the above fans sat behind one of the corner flags.. Again, that's just from seeing the games on tv: I knew that they were "new", because it's not who I usually see there when the camera zooms in for corner kicks.. So if I feel it as a relatively recent fan then I know it must sting you lifers. But I have to step back and remind myself that they might be just like me: possibly a fan for only a few years, but nonetheless very informed, very passionate, and VERY excited to be there.

I would be able to blend in. Faking a Manc accent notwithstanding, I'm a white guy. I'd never be caught dead in a split scarf, and I at least know what a meat pie is (though I've never had a proper one). I doubt anything will be able to ruin my first match experience when it happens, but I will say that I hope to be welcomed with open arms, and it would hurt if the greater good of cheering on City together with the rest of you was cheapened by people sniggering at the weird foreign guy. My experience with other Blues on this continent has been that they are some of the nicest, most welcoming, and most knowledgable folks around. I have to believe the same must be mostly true in Manchester.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel bad that these fans are subject to negativity because of the way they look. Assuming they have on City gear and don't act like complete fools, they should be given the benefit of the doubt, because as much as you are judging them, they are judging you too. Ostensibly, they are converts from a far away land and this may be their first time in church. greet them like a true believer and let god sort out the heretics. The good fans want desperately to be a part of a wonderful thing, and the bad ones won't last anyway.

Fair enough man thats a sound post.

Do all those fans who moan about the number of empty seats at cup games etc moan about "tourists" helping games be a sell out in the league? Don't think we can pick and choose which games they can come to.

ALBY ALBY ALBY said:
Do all those fans who moan about the number of empty seats at cup games etc moan about "tourists" helping games be a sell out in the league? Don't think we can pick and choose which games they can come to.

Agreed.

I travel up from 'darn sarf' but most people know me well enough and have seen me at games for the last nearly 30 years to know I'm not a JCL, fact is, as prices rise we have to cast our net wider for paying fans (customers).

We have no need to expand the stadium if we don't welcome the new fans.

personally I couldn't give a toss who comes, but I fear it will be to the detriment of atmosphere, except for the top matches.

There were loads of foreign fans up in 306 and 307 yesterday, an increasing trend, especially for the top rated games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.