TUC Conference

BimboBob said:
mackenzie said:
Thanks for understanding what I meant BB.

Don't do sick through stress. At the time I just got on with it. It was only afterwards I realised that I was ill, and that I had been left to do it because management knew I would.

And if it happened again? Would you just do one of the jobs? Refuse to do any? Or do all 3 again even though it would make you ill?

I also don't do time off work but if i was put in that position i think i would be really tempted.

Bit older and wiser now BB, so would probably handle it very differently. Still wouldn't go on sick though....

Cheesy said:
Labour promised tougher cuts than there had been under Thatcher. I can't shake the feeling that if Labour had got in & carried out these cuts the unions wouldn't be kicking off half as much as they are now.

The feeling in conference is trust none of the parties. If Labour had done the same as the Condems they would lose their biggest donators and Brown or whoever is Prime minister would have faced the same abuse.

Cal said:
JULES said:
just read that crap.
Launching its alternative economic strategy (PDF), the union said the government should be creating jobs, sums it up nicely, unions, funny how they know the answer to everything. wankers the lot of them

Notice you pick half a statement to quote, whereas PCS have a valid arguement to back up their statement, you just call them wankers...

Anyway, to carry on:

"Launching its alternative economic strategy (PDF), the union said the government should be creating jobsnot cutting them, and investing in the public sector to help the economy to grow and ensure against a double dip recession.

Other measures and facts outlined in the document include:

We should invest in areas such as housing, renewable energy and public transport
The UK debt is lower than other major economies
There is a £120 billion tax gap of evaded, avoided and uncollected tax
The UK holds £850 billion in banking assets from the bailout – more than the national debt
We could free up billions of pounds by not renewing Trident
End the use of consultants in the civil and public services"

What a load of old nonsense. I started to read that and got to

The UK holds £850 billion in banking assets from the bailout – more than the national debt

which is just plain wrong the UK holds around £120bn of banking assets which are shown in the national debt (and worth something so isn't dead money) - and there is around £730bn of pledges/guarantees which isn't included in the national debt

Then I got to

We could free up billions of pounds by not renewing Trident

How can you free this money up when the £xbn it will cost to replace hasn't even been reserved or ringfenced yet and is unlikely to whilst the economy is up the creek

I didn't feel it was worth reading any more

Unions really are irrelevant nowadays, just lots of (very wealthy) Union Leaders trying to have their day in the sun, the members will not strike on mass, as they know their jobs are already at risk, why go on strike and risk been outsourced, to a Private Company.

It's all bluff and nonsense designed to make members think that they can actually do anything apart from making sound bites.

Ducado said:
Unions really are irrelevant nowadays, just lots of (very wealthy) Union Leaders trying to have their day in the sun, the members will not strike on mass, as they know their jobs are already at risk, why go on strike and risk been outsourced, to a Private Company.

It's all bluff and nonsense designed to make members think that they can actually do anything apart from making sound bites.

Unions are far from irrelevant Duccy. You underestimate the feeling of the members.

Ducado said:

Dear me! Is this for real?

One thing that didn't quite sit right with me yesterday.....I met a client early yesterday morning at the Radisson and it was absolutely packed with Union people. Now I might be mistaken, but aren't there only two 5 Star hotels in Manchester? That and the Lowry, so couldn't they have stayed somewhere a little less pricey given the tone of the conference this week?

We got talking to staff, and it appears they weren't shy about living it up at the night either.

I then went on to meet another client in The Midland and guess what? Yep, full of them again.

Doesn't seem quite right that given the more 'cost effective' options in Town.

EDIT: I'm not a Rent Boy by the way, just to clear that up.

This sort of savoury biscuit has had its day. I'm surprised anyone still buys them tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.