UEFA Independent Inquiry

From experience QR in retail/entertainment for vouchers/tickets I'd say that it definitely happens to render that QR as subsequently invalid/used, otherwise you could reuse the QR code indefinitely. If the QR code is the same, then it doesn't matter if it's on a fake ticket, a real ticket or a screenshot - it will be single use only.
My mate is a bit of a geek when it comes to stuff like this. He writes software for banks.

Basically if 20 000 codes are printed. Those exact same codes are then loaded on to a server/hardrive. So the computer is then "looking" for those codes. When it sees the code, it sends a signal to the relay on the turnstile telling it to release. That code is then rendered useless. It will be omitted from the Input file on the computer. Basically the computer is no longer looking for it.

You can do that with a photocopier and it would work once, the thousand others wouldn't. They are easy to reproduce, but getting access to them to reproduce lots of different ones is extremely unlikely.

What does stand out is if they closed off the fences/gates, those who got to the turnstiles with fakes were not being refused and let out that way?
I guess it depends on how many were actually copied, and by who, maybe the UEFA ticket producer got hacked and they were all duplicated, certainly not impossible.

Can you just clarify that it is indeed a possibility to copy the QR code, stick it on a fake ticket, and for that QR code to scan through the turnstile ok if used before the real one, which in turn renders the real ticket (being scanned later) invalid? Reason being that I'm just having a discussion with a Liverpool fan on Twitter and trying to explain to him a possible reason as to why his mum's (genuine) ticket didn't scan.
Yeah that’s generally what would happen. If all that’s required is a QR code, then essentially you can stick it on a mars bar and still scan it.

but once it scans once, it shouldn’t work again, hence why if that guys mum showed up later and someone earlier used that same QR code, it may not work.

But if that has been happening, then there has to be some enquiry to why people have had access to thousand of QR codes that are correct for the system getting into the game and putting them on fake tickets. Seeing as all the data from the QR codes also goes the scanning system at the stadium, it would mean it has to be someone at the ticket agency that has access to all the data.

I don’t know, I’m sceptical and don’t think it was that organised

I think just thousand of scousers bought snide tickets with QR codes that don’t work, probably all have the same code because they don’t really understand how it works. Then they got there, realised they’re not working and then kicked up a fuss outside.

If it was truly a well organised crime plan or some hacking job with genuine working QR codes coming out of a ticket agency that deals with sporting events all over, then the problems would’ve probably not just been limited to liverpool, it would’ve been Madrid fans too.

Yes we’ll done for spraying children with pepper spray. Good job.

In all fairness if Liverpool fans are stupid enough, and that lacking in self awareness that they’d take young children then they are idiots. We all know what Liverpool fans are like, every football fan knows what Liverpool fans are like. Especially for a big game.

If it was truly a well organised crime plan or some hacking job with genuine working QR codes coming out of a ticket agency that deals with sporting events all over, then the problems would’ve probably not just been limited to liverpool, it would’ve been Madrid fans too.
Fair point, but most of the madrid tickets were digital, and they aren't that well supported away from madrid, so maybe it was only the liverpool tickets that were targetted, because whoever (if they did) would know there would be a huge market for scammed tickets (supply and demand).

Can you just clarify that it is indeed a possibility to copy the QR code, stick it on a fake ticket, and for that QR code to scan through the turnstile ok if used before the real one, which in turn renders the real ticket (being scanned later) invalid? Reason being that I'm just having a discussion with a Liverpool fan on Twitter and trying to explain to him a possible reason as to why his mum's (genuine) ticket didn't scan.
So long as you know the numbering sequences that the stadium are using for the ticketing database then it's simple enough to create a bunch of tickets with sequential QR codes. As long as the fake ticket is scanned before the original ticket there is no reason why the fake ticket wouldn't work. Once the fake has been scanned the original will be seen as a duplicate and therefore null and void.

Seems very much like an inside job to me.

Hologram or not. The QR reader at the turnstile isn't interested in that part of the ticket. And it's logistically impossible for stewards to pre check every ticket. If you buy a ticket without the hologram, all it means is you've been shafted!
Unless you're the first to use that particular QR code, in which case you've shafted the real ticket owner and everyone else with a snide ticket with that code.

My mate is a bit of a geek when it comes to stuff like this. He writes software for banks.

Basically if 20 000 codes are printed. Those exact same codes are then loaded on to a server/hardrive. So the computer is then "looking" for those codes. When it sees the code, it sends a signal to the relay on the turnstile telling it to release. That code is then rendered useless. It will be omitted from the Input file on the computer. Basically the computer is no longer looking for it.
to be fair to the computer...I wouldn't bother me arse looking for it on £8-50 an hour either....

Yeah that’s generally what would happen. If all that’s required is a QR code, then essentially you can stick it on a mars bar and still scan it.

but once it scans once, it shouldn’t work again, hence why if that guys mum showed up later and someone earlier used that same QR code, it may not work.

But if that has been happening, then there has to be some enquiry to why people have had access to thousand of QR codes that are correct for the system getting into the game and putting them on fake tickets. Seeing as all the data from the QR codes also goes the scanning system at the stadium, it would mean it has to be someone at the ticket agency that has access to all the data.

I don’t know, I’m sceptical and don’t think it was that organised

I think just thousand of scousers bought snide tickets with QR codes that don’t work, probably all have the same code because they don’t really understand how it works. Then they got there, realised they’re not working and then kicked up a fuss outside.

Not if the security breach was in the Liverpool FC ticket office - which I suspect is the most likely source. All it would take is for for someone in that office to go and photocopy a load of tickets and put them back where they found them. They really need to look at their own security.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.