United (H) - League Cup SF 2nd Leg Post-Match Thread

I posted after the Palace 2-2 how gutted Sergio must have been to see some shitty defending cancel out his two efforts, but the boot was on the other foot last night. Don't know how the back four felt when we missed those two chances in the second half!

The defence did its job well last night and can’t be blamed for their goal. They are fully justified in pointing an accusing finger at the forwards whose profligacy in front of goal cost us the match. But despite the frustration at the result, I’m still glowing at the thought that we’ll be at Wembley and those Red bastards won’t.

Yes , was looking forward to getting to the cup final, really disappointed we got knocked out.

I'm not knocking this fact merely pointing out that its unbelievable that we cant score so from so many chances game after game.
We shouldn't have lost last night.

I'm not knocking this fact merely pointing out that its unbelievable that we cant score so from so many chances game after game.
It isn't game after game though, it is an occasional problem. There’s a reason we are the first team in europe to 100 goals. Not a stat man but sure Ive seen our conversion rate is pretty good. We make more chances so we score more but we also miss more. For them all to be in one game like last night is a bit of a freak.

Was only a few days ago that I was reading that City were the top goal scorers in Europe.

KDB shares yout opinion about the game. I just reference the above fact not to criticise your opinion but just to emphasise that goal scoring is not generally a problem for City although I do think we could score more goals than we do. Pep repeats this a lot. Efficiency in the penalty boxes.

I think chance conversion is generally OK. Aguero is a good finisher. Maybe we dominate possession at times and this possession does not always lead to chances.

I notice that a lot of our training is based on keeping possession under pressure and perhaps this at times becomes an objective rather than chance creation?

To answer questions like this you need stats otherwise its hot air. So all I have is hot air.

How many corners, how many wasted by poor delivery.
We seem to have more or less ditched short corners. Don't really understand why. Think we'd be much better off having possession, trying to build something from out wide than lumping it into the box against teams that are almost always taller than us and having it headed away at the front post more often than not.

We had next to nothing to do defensively and what we did do we did well.

Thought we totally dominated the game but missed chances again. Sterling is going through one of those periods.

Does Pep play him through it or bring in Jesus/Sane.

We won the tie, winning the game was just the icing on the cake. I am not too bothered about that. Anyone who is gutted we lost should reassess.

We do have a problem taking chances. And yet we are top scorers. I don't think it's rocket science. We have a wide forward in Sterling who is mis-firing at the moment. That's something he has to come through. Annoying thing is we thought he had come through that period for good, but he has to do it again now.

Are you implying that defensively we were perfect last night? I said the usual odd lapse defensively, this has been happening alot this season. I dissagree as a unit we did not defend well as you state. If we did we would have drawn surely?

Sorry but I personally gutted we didn't win last night. Sure I am very pleased we are through to Wembley but I wanted both. How is that wrong? Why do I need to reassess that I am very dissapointed that we lost to our biggest and oldest rivals?

Haven't watched highlights as I was there. It was a non-standard formation, but I love that about Pep - that's why he's here and why he's the world's greatest coach. If you want conformity - don't hire Pep. Pep is reinventing football in a way no-one thought possible. It's risk and reward football. We created chances - some ridiculously easy chances and had they gone in it's a Pep masterclass. Nothing Pep can do about players wasting open goal chances. Rags played as though they were defending a lead and not needing goals. Two shots on target - four in total - is a diabolical state of affairs for them. At least we created a lot of chances while being way way below our imperious best. With Aymeric coming back we will improve. I just hope Leroy can reach the right level of fitness and form, but I'm not holding my breath after his injury and all this 'leaving' talk.

(who I have seen
Was only a few days ago that I was reading that City were the top goal scorers in Europe.

KDB shares yout opinion about the game. I just reference the above fact not to criticise your opinion but just to emphasise that goal scoring is not generally a problem for City although I do think we could score more goals than we do. Pep repeats this a lot. Efficiency in the penalty boxes.

I think chance conversion is generally OK. Aguero is a good finisher. Maybe we dominate possession at times and this possession does not always lead to chances.

I notice that a lot of our training is based on keeping possession under pressure and perhaps this at times becomes an objective rather than chance creation?

To answer questions like this you need stats otherwise its hot air. So all I have is hot air.
'Aguero is a good finisher'. Shouldn't that be 'Aguero is an imperious and majestic finisher - the greatest in Prem history and beyond'. He has to be considered a candidate for greatest finisher of all time in this country, although I know there's a good shout for Jimmy Greaves (who I have seen play). Harder to stand out in this day and age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.