United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the endgame here with this Greenwood saga.

It'll be a PR nightmare and they're a whore for sponsorship and I can see them losing some of their sponsorship if he comes back.

The bloke will rightly get absolutely pelted by home and away fans if/when he finally regains match fitness and starts, to the extent they'll probably have to pipe in fake crowd audio on broadcasts.

I know we take the piss out of how shite they've been run over the last few years but I would be fucking astounded if they are honestly that tone deaf and they brought him back.

I still think they'll shit out of it at the last minute and pretend they were never really going to bring him back.

I suppose it is possible that they have privately told the player he is to be rehabilitated to ensure that he gets working with a personal trainer so he gets his fitness back. But then before he actually plays, they move him on.

Because as you say, the loss of money from withdrawn sponsorship might end up being greater than the lost £££s transferring him out for cut-price fee.

If Greenwood comes back, I can see him getting a mixed reception off the rag fans.
Some will give him shit and some will cheer him on. Can see lot of fighting between themselves.

That's the thing, There will be inevitable trouble in the stands all round the stadium with some Rags supporting him and others abusing him.

Now I am not going to even try and defend the MG situation, but can I say a couple of things: was there not a player some years convicted of rape (Ched Evans I think) won his appeal and even after prison time returned to football.... did he get abusive chants aimed at him?

Also, but this one is right at the limit of my memory and I may not have it right: was there not a footballer who in a road accident killed someone and then ran away from the scene of the crime - did they ever return to the game (I need help with that one).

Finally there is Joey Barton: did he not stub out a cigar in the face of a City academy player and also do prison time for another issue and yet some years later was considered respectable enough to be a guest on BBCs Question Time?

George Best was also a t**t and 'Gazza' Gascoigne had a very physical relationship with his partner (wife?) and yet in some peoples eyes they are still regarded as heroes.

Like I said, not trying to defend MG and MUFC but I am curious to discuss how these other players were viewed in previous times compared with how MG is being portrayed now. Is it a generational thing (I don't think it is with Ched Evens as he is still a player now, I believe).

Please don't all come at me, I am just opening up the debate, especially across different time periods and how society has changed.
In my view there's a difference between found not guilty and credible witnesses pulling out.
We all saw the blood and we've seen/heard the rundown of what happened..
He beat her tried to forcefully abuse her and drew blood.
That's good enough for me.
It's like back the 80's New York, the FBI knew the dons were guilty of crimes but many got off because of witnesses pulling out.( No- I'm not saying she was threatened )
It doesn't matter that the girl dropped the charges after the event..We know he did it.
A prosecutor would have a field day with the evidence we've seen and heard.

Criticise me for my views on the topic, but please don't accuse me of being a 'rag' as I am not one. I just happen to be interested in politics, society, the law and equality issues in 2023.

For example, is it not interesting that the delays on this announcement are allegedly to do with involving all stake-holders, including the members of the Man Utd womens team, three of whom are away with England and doing rather well at the World Cup.

Ella Toone is on £6000 quid a week whilst MG is on £75,000 a week and yet she (and the other MUFC women) may have some influence over whether that continues to be the case. I find that quite interesting. I would prefer it if they both earned the same! But this is a start.
When united women play in front of 75000 at the toilet every home game maybe they will.

Shows how thick United are. It will actually be dangerous for him to play at away grounds. They’re risking putting him in harms way (good) and potential issues with supporters/teammates etc just cause he might score a few goals.

I think they’ve had a shocker. Even the athletic have hung them out to dry. Ashton could be for the high jump along with Arnold, there’s only those lovely Glazer boys staying.

The important thing that’s been missed is they’ve got a grass. The athletic had inside info on the strategy to integrate Greenwood, that’s high level snitching.
@cheekybids what do you think should happen ?
I ask because you use the words grass and snitching. Someone clearly has higher moral standards than the rest of the sordid money grabbing management, I assume his view is being ignored so he felt he needed to speak to someone, (The Athletic)
Is that a snitch and a grass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.