US Politics Thread

DeSantis is slowly turning Florida in to a totalitarian state.

“Ron DeSantis is using the final weeks before he reportedly launches a presidential campaign to modify Florida law to allow him to run while serving as governor and reduce transparency over political spending and his travel.”

DeSantis is slowly turning Florida in to a totalitarian state.

“Ron DeSantis is using the final weeks before he reportedly launches a presidential campaign to modify Florida law to allow him to run while serving as governor and reduce transparency over political spending and his travel.”

It's frightening what people like DeSantis are allowed to get away with at state level.

Hmm,

Rudy McButtdial in the spotlight again...

My hot take - noting I am in no way knowledgeable on the law or anything like that.

This could be the kind of thing that everybody thinks "oh that is obviously wrong/illegal" but of which nobody in the legal profession ever thought that a president would be capable. And so there is probably no existing law against wielding your executive power in this manner.

In fact I would put money that it is probably a crime for the person paying for the pardon (under some kind of perverting the course of justice by bribing an elected official subclause), but there will be no consequences for the president in this scenario.

A bit like how the Supreme Court justices like Thomas have no code of ethics they have to adhere to so can sort of just do what they want.

The last few years have taught me that a frightening amount of western law is based on gentleman's agreement and precedent that nobody ever considered would be contravened. Or if they did, people would fall on their sword and resign.

Though Trump seems to have done plenty of other stuff that is illegal...

Hmm,

Rudy McButtdial in the spotlight again...

The accusation of Trump charging $2 million a pop for pardons has been circulating since he left office. It would explain why on his last day in office he gave a swathe of pardons to the likes of rappers Li'l Wayne and Kodak Black for firearms offences. They're not exactly the type of person to attract genuine sympathy from Trump. Notorious zoo owner "Tiger King" Joe Exotic was expected by many to be pardoned (for a murder plot and repeated animal abuse) but wasn't. His team were even reported to have a limo outside the prison ready to pick him up but the pardon never materialised. A nutter like him would be more in Trump's orbit but maybe he wouldn't pay the fee.

Who had Elon Musk being subpoenaed as a business associate of Jeffrey Epstein and going full antisemite in a nonsensical tirade directed at George Soros on their 2023 Bingo card?

uhm-me.gif

Who had Elon Musk being subpoenaed as a business associate of Jeffrey Epstein and going full antisemite in a nonsensical tirade directed at George Soros on their 2023 Bingo card?

uhm-me.gif

Musk is a proper wrong 'un.

My hot take - noting I am in no way knowledgeable on the law or anything like that.

This could be the kind of thing that everybody thinks "oh that is obviously wrong/illegal" but of which nobody in the legal profession ever thought that a president would be capable. And so there is probably no existing law against wielding your executive power in this manner.

In fact I would put money that it is probably a crime for the person paying for the pardon (under some kind of perverting the course of justice by bribing an elected official subclause), but there will be no consequences for the president in this scenario.

A bit like how the Supreme Court justices like Thomas have no code of ethics they have to adhere to so can sort of just do what they want.

The last few years have taught me that a frightening amount of western law is based on gentleman's agreement and precedent that nobody ever considered would be contravened. Or if they did, people would fall on their sword and resign.

Though Trump seems to have done plenty of other stuff that is illegal...
There are absolutely laws against elected officials accepting bribes for favors. I admit that the existence of lobbyists makes this a bit of a gray area but selling a vote in congress is a lot different than just selling pardons. Look at Blagojevich in Illinois, he went to prison for trying to sell a senate seat.

uhm-me.gif

Musk is such a privileged, out of control asshole I'd have been shocked if he wasn't mixed up with Epstein. I'm guessing the things he did with him are nothing compared to the rest of the horrible things he's done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.