US Politics Thread

I know who I’m preaching to on here, but this is actual authoritarianism.
Yeah when a company finally enforces its own code of conduct on a guy who has spent four years breaking it, that’s real authoritarianism. Or when another company (Apple) decides it doesn’t want to sell an app where half the users are currently calling for the violent overthrow of the government and calling on the VP to be shot for treason against Trump. That’s basically Stalin and Hitler rolled into one eh.

I’ll tell you what’s not authoritarianism, trying to incite a mob to storm Congress and subvert democracy in an attempt to stop the counting of the electoral college votes.

hang on a minute....

Yeah when a company finally enforces its own code of conduct on a guy who has spent four years breaking it, that’s real authoritarianism. Or when another company (Apple) decides it doesn’t want to sell an app where half the users are currently calling for the violent overthrow of the government and calling on the VP to be shot for treason against Trump. That’s basically Stalin and Hitler rolled into one eh.

I’ll tell you what’s not authoritarianism, trying to incite a mob to storm Congress and subvert democracy in an attempt to stop the counting of the electoral college votes.

hang on a minute....
This. All day long — this.

The banning itself in isolation isn’t worrying.

What is worrying is the blatant conspiring by these huge and influential social media organisations like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Google and Apple joining the party by issuing pre-emptive strikes on Parler yesterday, the platform where Trump would have ended up. Added to the fact that CNN are actively trying to get any right wing channel taken off the air in America.

I know who I’m preaching to on here, but this is actual authoritarianism. And it’s not being handed down by elected officials who are accountable, but by Silicon Valley.

Bollocks. It’s about time influential people weren’t freely allowed to incite violence and spread blatant lies. Doesn’t matter what side of the political divide they lie on, there needs to be due diligence and fact checking done by both news organisations and social media companies.

Aaron banks, farage, trump, and all those far right cronies spout shit and propaganda that endangers lives. About time they weren’t given a platform.

And. There. Should. Be . A . Code . Of . Fucking. Conduct. That . Limits . Corporate. Power. And . There . Ability . To . Influence . Democracy.

Because . Oligarchy. Is. Far. More . Fucking. Dangerous. Than. Democracy.
What twisted logic. The guy has tried to overturn democracy. He loses his democratic rights. Should murderers be allowed access to platforms from prison? No.
Stop talking shite. You are better than that

hang on a minute....

Will i be able to find posts from you backing ANTIFA?
What twisted logic. The guy has tried to overturn democracy. He loses his democratic rights. Should murderers be allowed access to platforms from prison? No.
Stop talking shite. You are better than that
You are conflating the two arguments. I in no way support Trump or his actions, i also do not support the actions of the big tech corporations. I believe both actions are dangerous.

You are getting very hot under the collar, calm down pal. calm down.

What do you think will happen if Biden has the cojones to rein in corporate power. Because by saying nothing now corporate power is free to do as it wishes. Is that absurd?
I’m not hot under the collar you mad old twat. But you’re talking bollocks and I know you well enough to tell you that you’re talking bollocks and you know I’d tell you over a pint whilst you called me a **** in return.

Biden isn’t banned as he’s not broken any rules just like GDM doesn’t get banned on here as he doesn’t break any rules. You and I however have both been banned several times when we have broken @Ric ‘s CoC. That doesn’t mean there is Ric over reach, it means you and I have crossed a line over which Ric has acted as he decides what content he wants on his platform (and tells everyone in advance using a published list of rules - and then gives out warnings before banning people). It means we’ve been a pair of cûnts and probably deserved the bans.

The fact that Trump was elected to office gave him great leeway, far more than that of a normal Twitter user (I got a 12 hour suspension once for calling some tosser a “crazy woman”). It does not harm democracy to suspend then ban someone currently under federal investigation for incitement to sedition/riot.

What you’re basically saying is that Trump should receive status as some Demi god where he can say and do whatever he likes and a private corporation has no power to act as they please with their own platform? That’s absurd as I say.

Corporations that create wealth for their owners or shareholders do not take wealth away from someone else.
Do I think that workers should be paid more? In general, yes, but to rail against corporations as an entity smacks of an entitled attitude. Look at what they have, I want some of that.
Totally different to those who are disadvantaged being given help and a way out of poverty.
@Rascal I admire your commitment to your beliefs, but I don't think that your Utopua is just around any corner, it just can't exist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.