US Politics Thread

Surely if America is rejecting trump then it's self defeating for CNN to give him a greater platform in pursuit of a larger audience?
Tbh I'm a little confused by the term 'normalise' in this context. Is any reporting of a candidate other than Kamala now part of a grand conspiracy to facilitate trump? If so, it sounds a bit mental.
Trump is a populist liar. "Normalize" means making it seem that this is OK or that he's not lying. And about 1/2 of the US population, more or less, is going to vote for Trump, hence the attempt to appeal to that audience.

Trump is a populist liar. "Normalize" means making it seem that this is OK or that he's not lying. And about 1/2 of the US population, more or less, is going to vote for Trump, hence the attempt to appeal to that audience.
Tbh if half the population want him as president then the media can't exactly exclude him.

Tbh if half the population want him as president then the media can't exactly exclude him.
They can cover him, sure, but journalism has an ethical obligation to report the truth. Normalization of Trump's lies cuts against that obligation; and, outlets that do not call out lies and mistruths for what they are damage the free press as an institution.

Last edited:
They can cover him, sure, but journalism has an ethical obligation to report the truth. Normalization of Trump's lies cuts against that obligation; and, for outlets that do not call out lies and mistruths for what they are damage the free press as an institution.
I don't really know enough about your media tbh, aside from fox being the voice of the right. I think sometimes you have to stand back and realise that the maga crowd are probably just as upset as you with the general coverage of the presidential candidates - just for different reasons. Railing against 'msm' is one of the extremist calling cards.

I don't really know enough about your media tbh, aside from fox being the voice of the right. I think sometimes you have to stand back and realise that the maga crowd are probably just as upset as you with the general coverage of the presidential candidates - just for different reasons. Railing against 'msm' is one of the extremist calling cards.
What's "msm"?

Anyhow, I think you're missing the point. Journalism has an obligation to report truthfully, otherwise people are misinformed and cannot make rational decisions. This is orthogonal to bias. I don't mind that Fox News is biased. I mind that they lie. The massive payout Fox made as a result of the Dominion lawsuit has at least curbed that tendency a little, and the Smartmatic suit will hammer the point home.

It is also difficult to read too much in to how this will actually impact the election outcome given MAGA groups have already lodged numerous lawsuits in battleground states challenging the validity of mail-in ballot voting and many MAGA governors have curtailed early and mail-in ballot voting, whilst also purging voter rolls for areas that may have significant election day turn out, to suppress likely voter preference, which skews heavily democrat.
Two saving graces here. Republican governors have shown no inclination to support the Maga moves. Second, Mark Elias and a huge team of lawyers are working hard to defeat these maga suits and rules.
Maybe half the voters, but only a quarter of the population. CNN please note.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.