US Politics Thread

Trump is a populist liar. "Normalize" means making it seem that this is OK or that he's not lying. And about 1/2 of the US population, more or less, is going to vote for Trump, hence the attempt to appeal to that audience.

Impossible, average voter turnout is about 66% and typically republicans lose the popular vote, so only about 30-32% of the population will vote for Trump.

I’ve lived in the US for almost 25 years, but the BBC is still my go-to for news. You’re dead right that the BBC’s approach to trump this year has been a lot gentler and they’ve been normalizing him as badly as the US media has been. It’s very noticeable and very discouraging.

likely because of the constant right wing attacks against the BBC that they're anti Trump.

Another example of the very real consequences of Trump’s, Vance’s, and MAGA’s dangerous conspiracy mongering.

How many of those Republican efforts have held up in court though?

I've watched a dozen or so appearances by Marc Elias on Brian Tyler Cohen's podcast and my sense is that nearly all of the Republican voter suppression efforts have been overturned, although there were some measures/rules passed in Georgia which will have the effect of slowing the counting of votes.

Two saving graces here. Republican governors have shown no inclination to support the Maga moves. Second, Mark Elias and a huge team of lawyers are working hard to defeat these maga suits and rules.

Maybe half the voters, but only a quarter of the population. CNN please note.
Many of the lawsuits are still ongoing (or new ones have been filed), and more will likely be lodged as Election Day arrives.

I am glad Elias et al are fighting them, but many have been filed in counties and districts that have been intentionally stacked with MAGA-compliant judges, so I think it is dangerous to assume they will all be rejected on lack of merit.

And that’s ignoring how the Supreme Court could factor in to the legal challenges—we saw how that could go in 2000, when the court was not as heavily skewed far-right.

And several MAGA governors and operators, including DeSantis, have been working to change rules ahead of the election (with the federal government lodging civil rights and election law challenges to those efforts). Or even not make reasonable changes and accommodations in light of the wide spread disruptions to many city and county election efforts in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina from Hurricanes Helene and Milton.

Another example of the very real consequences of Trump’s, Vance’s, and MAGA’s dangerous conspiracy mongering.

More delusional claims

More delusional claims
And this is the level of moral carelessness to which Trumpians will sink to justify their support of this man.

The stupid, the gullible, the uneducated, the deranged and the morally-compromised — every Trump supporter demonstrates he/she belongs to at least one category.

Every. Single. One.

Last edited:
And this is the level of moral carelessness to which Trumpians will sink to justify their support of this man.

The stupid, the gullible, the uneducated, the deranged and the morally-compromised — every Trump supporter demonstrates he/she belongs to at least one category.

Every. Single. One.
Who falls for this emotional garbage? Who?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.