Var debate 2019/20

The only thing you've left out of an otherwise perfect summing up of the nature of what will happen because of VAR is that not only does it put an end to that deep emotional attachment to what is going on on the pitch, but to that communal experience of 50 thousand people going mad at the same time for the same reason. You can't put a price on that.
Fans in Germany and Holland have hated VAR being in their leagues.

wgoldbo39yl21.png

The consensus amongst football people outside of City is that the decisions were correct. I have been influenced both ways reading the opinion but can't summon up any feelings of outrage. If I read the rules and look at the video evidence I can see that the decisions are consistent with the rules. There is a grey area over UEFA guidance and pending changes that muddy the waters, but I am going with how the game has been interpreted in the past and I believe that Aguero was cm offside and that the handball was not deliberate. You can say that that means it's not a goal but the rules do not say that and until they change, they apply. That is what a neutral observer would say.

I think it's really bad and sad that people can not just accept that we got beat.

The world is divided. Conspiracies exist. People are oppressed and exploited but football is our escape. I do not accept that the game is that warped to the point that Manchester City are being cheated at every available opportunity.

The conspiracy angle is untenable and very poor sporting behaviour below the standards I would expect from City fans. Spurs beat us fair and square. Accept it and move on.

I'm perhaps misrepresenting your opinion here SilverFox. i normally agree with most things you say, I am just reacting to a theme I am seeing from City fans of being cheated. We weren't cheated. Decisions may have been made incorrectly but I believe for the most part the game is clean and honest.

The people in the VAR room have all the angles and clearly saw the ball hit the arm of Llorente. They knew the goal should not stand. It is technology for Christ sake, meant to solve puzzles like that at a fast rate. The people in the studio only showed it once and it was clear as daylight that the people in the VAR room had the footage.

It just takes one of them to let the referee know it is a handball, show him the footage and scrap the goal.

I knew that they would not show that footage again as soon as the studio refused to replay that part. No matter how we try to sugar-coat it, it was clear corruption and conspiracy against City caught on tape.

Last edited:
I take it you`ve never played the game otherwise you`d realise that its impossible to even think about your stupid claim in a micro second.It hit his hip but dont let Citys shit defending get in the way of excuses,thats what lost us the match.
I`ll glady meet and you can call me a coward to my face you key board warrior.
The guy is right by calling you a coward I'm afraid. You're defending an illegality with words like "micro seconds, slight" etc whilst ignoring that that slight touch had a big impact. Was that not what VAR was brought to solve - those "micro second" hugely vague events? But here they stuck to a very unclear footage and you are fine with that?

You excuse the officials for not chalking it off citing the "micro seconds" excuse but you are down with them cancelling a City goal that was deemed offside in micro seconds.

Ask yourself and answer sincerely, isnt that what a coward would do?

Pep made a few mistakes, Laporte plenty, etc. Who doesn't? And that's a seperate issue but going out of your way to justify an illegality doesn't look good you at all. Is it so hard to admit that our mistakes AND poor/bent officiating cost us the game?

Last edited:
I am with you on this. I have already found myself holding back when we score. It's still incredible experience but it changes it.

Can you say though that Spurs fans did not experience some of the most cathartic moments of their lives in those minutes?

VAR changes how we will respond to games, but it might not necessarily be entirely bad. I am trying to be open-minded here. We will not always be the victims in it. We lost fair and square. Hope people just accept the result. We were unlucky in the way the rules were applied in that the decisions were so marginal.

There are two sides to a game. We are experiencing this through the disadvantaged side, and need to consider the whole. We will one day be the beneficiaries.

All in all though at the moment, I am against VAR and worry how it will change fans attachment to the game. The whole thing is in its infancy though. Quite simply if it doesn't work, it will get changed.

Spot on. It being in its infancy there are going to problems, UEFA must learn from the mistakes made the other night, but also from other games that have had suspect VAR decisions and implement change. The media have actually acknowledged the handball which puts pressure on UEFA to make multiple angles available in an instant.

The big issue arises if UEFA turn to ignorance and do not act accordingly to what has occurred.

I hope though tha5 UEFA look at the laws of the game,, as i believe they need to be changed now to allow VAR to be used both correctly and swift. Their should be no grey area’s left to make the pitch ref’s job harder, offside should be a clear offside (none of this foot or shoulder being in-front), as of next season we are told that the handball llorrente scored would actually be disallowed.

VAR is here to stay, there is nothing we can do about it. Last season in the CL we were crying out for VAR being used in the games against the dippers for their offside goal and the milner rebound that put us through to score. Had VAR given those we would have experienced a different emotion to what we have the other night.

Fans in Germany and Holland have hated VAR being in their leagues.

wgoldbo39yl21.png
I kind of thought that was a bit strong from a side that you think might benefit from VAR but obviously it's having a big effect.

Journalists here who write about it have so far only analysed it from the perspective of decision making but the game is played for us the fans and if you celebrate a goal and then those celebrations go on hold it's a fundamental change.

What will happen is that a Barcelona or Man Utd etc will lose out and then suddenly they will be up in arms and changes will be made.

The consensus amongst football people outside of City is that the decisions were correct. I have been influenced both ways reading the opinion but can't summon up any feelings of outrage. If I read the rules and look at the video evidence I can see that the decisions are consistent with the rules. There is a grey area over UEFA guidance and pending changes that muddy the waters, but I am going with how the game has been interpreted in the past and I believe that Aguero was cm offside and that the handball was not deliberate. You can say that that means it's not a goal but the rules do not say that and until they change, they apply. That is what a neutral observer would say.

You can say deliberate or not deliberate handball when we are talking about a penalty. If a defender did not deliberately try to stop the goal. Then it is unfair to give a penalty. However, it still goes to a particular magnitude.

When it comes to using a hand to aid a goal, we can not start talking deliberate. It was handball all day long. The goal should have been chalked off.

Spot on. It being in its infancy there are going to problems, UEFA must learn from the mistakes made the other night, but also from other games that have had suspect VAR decisions and implement change. The media have actually acknowledged the handball which puts pressure on UEFA to make multiple angles available in an instant.

The big issue arises if UEFA turn to ignorance and do not act accordingly to what has occurred.

I hope though tha5 UEFA look at the laws of the game,, as i believe they need to be changed now to allow VAR to be used both correctly and swift. Their should be no grey area’s left to make the pitch ref’s job harder, offside should be a clear offside (none of this foot or shoulder being in-front), as of next season we are told that the handball llorrente scored would actually be disallowed.

VAR is here to stay, there is nothing we can do about it. Last season in the CL we were crying out for VAR being used in the games against the dippers for their offside goal and the milner rebound that put us through to score. Had VAR given those we would have experienced a different emotion to what we have the other night.
Technology is coming in, and I think it's a good thing. I am willing to think about it and accept change. However I do not like the current arrangement of the most marginal decisions being replayed and the game being placed on hold. Perhaps I will adapt and learn and change.

We should be open-minded. It's football trying to find a better way. At the moment I do not think it is better. I would prefer to give referees on the spot and in the moment more information rather than stop the game and go backwards.

I kind of thought that was a bit strong from a side that you think might benefit from VAR but obviously it's having a big effect.

Journalists here who write about it have so far only analysed it from the perspective of decision making but the game is played for us the fans and if you celebrate a goal and then those celebrations go on hold it's a fundamental change.

What will happen is that a Barcelona or Man Utd etc will lose out and then suddenly they will be up in arms and changes will be made.

Therein lies the big question. Will UEFA only act when it causes an issue to established elite. Regardless of our status at present, the established elite clubs still hold more power

I am confused about the rules, the UEFA advice. What was handball, offside etc. I never in the past paid too much attention. The minutiae was for the refs to implement and I trusted them. I still do. We know that football is politically divided and there are groups, but I don't think VAR is part of that divide. It's not anti-City. What I think is that VAR is a device to improve refereeing standards as IT gets better and the game gets faster but so far in the process they have not looked at it from a fans perspective and we as fans are just adapting too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.