VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolutely - I know some aren't convinced the tech is that good, but it's still a lot better than a man with a flag.

There would have many more goals incorrectly given/ruled out before.

If the tech doesn’t work why is that better than allowing the sport to continue in the way it has for 150 yrs?

Worse than that, the authorities say the tech is perfect. The calls are black and white. This is deceitful and wrong. The tech will get better of course, but the offside tech now isn’t accurate enough to be reliable

Blowing the whistle didn't stop them awarding a penalty at the Swamp after the game had finished.
It's not the same as play hadn't restarted, it had just continued.

VAR can make a decision while play continues, and then once the ball goes dead, the ref stops to wait for the check to complete. In the Liverpool case, the ball was dead from the goal, so the check had to be done before it restarted. Once it had restarted they weren't allowed to stop it - although if they'd immediately noticed and shouted out I suspect they'd have got away with stopping it.

The problem with going back is that Spurs could then have argued that the rules were deliberately broken, which would have been another mess.

If the tech doesn’t work why is that better than allowing the sport to continue in the way it has for 150 yrs?

Worse than that, the authorities say the tech is perfect. The calls are black and white. This is deceitful and wrong. The tech will get better of course, but the offside tech now isn’t accurate enough to be reliable
I didn't say it didn't work. I understand it has limitations, but they are nothing compared with a human trying to look in two directions at once.

I didn't say it didn't work. I understand it has limitations, but they are nothing compared with a human trying to look in two directions at once.

It’s not accurate at present. So you then have a choice: take the inaccurate tech (which you are told is accurate) and all that comes with it (delayed goal celebrations, etc) or go back to the human system until the tech improves (which it will). Your opinion may be different to mine but I’d go for the latter

All this technology and for me the best is your own eyes rule! Freeze the frame when the ball leaves the foot to the attacker and just look at that freeze frame if you can see it's ofside call it if yours eyes can't see it's ofside it's fine! This mm red blue lines is madness!

Or just bring the auto ofside in! Wonde they Liverpool not banging the drum about that? Or any other club?
think trouble with that is some grounds have better coverage of pitch than others ( more cameras or better positioning )

All this technology and for me the best is your own eyes rule! Freeze the frame when the ball leaves the foot to the attacker and just look at that freeze frame if you can see it's ofside call it if yours eyes can't see it's ofside it's fine! This mm red blue lines is madness!

Or just bring the auto ofside in! Wonde they Liverpool not banging the drum about that? Or any other club?

The only plausible reason I think the club voted against SAT for offside is cost. Given what they get from the TV deal this is a fairly shit excuse if correct!

It’s not accurate at present. So you then have a choice: take the inaccurate tech (which you are told is accurate) and all that comes with it (delayed goal celebrations, etc) or go back to the human system until the tech improves (which it will). Your opinion may be different to mine but I’d go for the latter
50fps leaves a huge margin of error when you have a forward running at full pelt.

If you look at Haaland at a top speed of just over 10m/s, which equates to about 20cm per frame of video.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.