VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
POstecoglu :

"You have to accept the referee's decision, that is how I grew up," said Postecoglou.

"This constant erosion of the referee's authority is where the game is going - they are not going to have any authority. We are going to be under the control of someone with a TV screen a few miles away.

"The decision is the decision. In 26 years I have had plenty of bad decisions, I have had plenty fall in my favour. It is what it is.

"There will be a forensic study of every decision out there, I think that is the way the game is going and I don't like it. If you look at all that standing around we did today, maybe people enjoy that sort of thing but I'd rather see us playing football."

Thats where we need to be going imo.

Impressive numbers although the World Cup viewing figures aren't unexpected with it being the first cup in the winter and in that part of the world.
I'm surprised the relatively easy access to streaming hasn't dropped figures down some in this country, it'll be interesting to see if these figures stay up or drop as people reassess their priorities due to the cost of living crisis.
It's a shame that there's no way of doing a double blind test with these figures to see how high they'd be if fans could actually celebrate goals, I guess kids now want the manufactured drama of a drawn out decision just like on X-Factor or Strictly, "going through to the next round is..................................................."

I am a FOC like Postecoglou, and I say good for him. Football never had a huge problem with obvious mistakes. There were a few absolute howlers that could have been corrected by VAR, some serious missed incidents that could have been corrected by VAR, and myriad small mistakes that evened out and gave all of us an opportunity to go ballistic and shout insults at the ref. Leave those alone for Christ's sake. If VAR can't see something is a problem at normal speed in one viewing, offside included, just let it go .....

Quite frankly, this idea that VAR can get everything right is a nonsense, so at least implement it in a way that doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the most important people - the people who go to the ground. So, forget the hopeless search for absolute truth and make it more stadium friendly. If it isn't possible for the referee or the linesmen to see a problem, don't give anything. If anything is missed in the match by the referee and VAR, take action retrospectively.

All everyone wants is referees doing their job as best, and as fairly, as they can with any howlers or anything they miss, because they are human, corrected immediately. And then to complain about it afterwards.

VAR is just the beginning.....just wait for the aVARtars......all this new technology and AI will see virtual seating and "fans" buying virtual tickets to watch a live game sitting in their home but as an avartar wearing glasses....they will be in the stadium virtually with sound piped in and a 360 view.....maybe pay extra to listen into ref VAR decisons and be able to stand on the line to look yourself at an offside or in action to see a foul close up...all virtually....even get close to players as they celebrate a goal.....all coming virtually from your living room in Beiiging, New York, Bangkok.....sitting their with your ferking half and half scarf draped around your neck.......adverts pumped into the headsets.......this is not far away and if you think VAR was bad wait and see what is coming!

VAR is just the beginning.....just wait for the aVARtars......all this new technology and AI will see virtual seating and "fans" buying virtual tickets to watch a live game sitting in their home but as an avartar wearing glasses....they will be in the stadium virtually with sound piped in and a 360 view.....maybe pay extra to listen into ref VAR decisons and be able to stand on the line to look yourself at an offside or in action to see a foul close up...all virtually....even get close to players as they celebrate a goal.....all coming virtually from your living room in Beiiging, New York, Bangkok.....sitting their with your ferking half and half scarf draped around your neck.......adverts pumped into the headsets.......this is not far away and if you think VAR was bad wait and see what is coming!
And this is where the real money is for clubs. Streaming their own games and why the Spanish two and others are desperate to get in a league with premier league clubs because if they dont they see club football being entirely dominated by English clubs.

Am I seriously reading on here that the shite implementation of VAR is making the game more exciting and drawing more people to it? Really?!?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.