VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ref should have given it and the officials should have told the ref to have a look. the technology is there, it's a great system, just need officials to get all these big ones correct 100% of the time otherwise it's the usual barrage of 'corruption' cries. Was a penalty, nothing more to add.

It won't be the last awful decision with or without VAR, law of averages will always be 1 or 2 every weekend. a lot more without VAR I would guess.
There was EVERYTHING in place to enable the officials to make the correct decision, yet the didn't. You believe it isn't corruption, and that is your prerogative, but the fact that it is a frequent occurrence at that particular ground, and that particular team, questions need asking.

You understand that most people support tech to help the refs, right?

You'll be surprised, many just want it completely scrapped and to go back to how it was. Which is absolutely fine by the way, that's their opinion, mine is to keep it and find ways to improve and improve the transparency.

I think already it has shown many signs of progress but still has a long way to go. the major problem is how many perceive situations differently, us as fans and the officials no doubt - VAR has highlighted just how many grey areas there is at times.

The main thing is, if the Ref isn't sure, then he has a opportunity to take a second look. I don't see how this can ever be argued against - otherwise those who are anti VAR and want it scrapped completely are admitting they want to take the blind judgement of a ref and force him to guess.

There's many good arguments against VAR which I take on board. I don't work for the FA or any organization so it's difficult to try and justify every single debatable decision, I do however notice how many times it has prevented a clear offside goal or a penalty that would never have been given and i think for balance that it deserves to be pointed out.

we both want tech help for officials - for me the only way it improves if it it continues and adjusts. small implications at a time and more transparency.

repeating the point though as ever, Outrage and cries of corruption will never stop. It's simply ingrained into some fans and with so much tribal rivalry then any decision they don't agree with is going to be labelled as corrupt. Is it easier for me to try and be balanced on these matters or just jump onboard and call it all corrupt everytime.

** off to hospital for my little one, so will reply tomorrow for people posting to me on this, just in case Kaz and co jump in with the usual hatred why I have gone silent for half a day.

It was damn convenient that Webb could roll out Moss within minutes to apologise. They've not rescinded the yellow given to the wolves manager either for a "mistake" they made.
The head of refereeing for the PGMOL enjoying corporate hospitality at the same place & time as his refereeing team refused to give a BLATANT penalty against the home team should be a HUGE story.

The head of refereeing for the PGMOL enjoying corporate hospitality at the same place & time as his refereeing team refused to give a BLATANT penalty against the home team should be a HUGE story.
It would be if it was us and after last nights corruption they have now given the Rags one of their own in Oliver for the tricky looking match v Spurs

It was damn convenient that Webb could roll out Moss within minutes to apologise. They've not rescinded the yellow given to the wolves manager either for a "mistake" they made.

They won’t be. His actions were his actions, irrespective of the reasons. If a player twatted a referee for giving a penalty that VAR then overturned, they wouldn’t be calling the player back on.

In theory, VAR should be a great asset to the game, but overall it isn't.

I believe it's the implementation and personnel that are at fault. I can accept human error on occasions and we'll get that with or without VAR.

There are certain things I don't understand when looking at three incidents from this weekend.

The offsides off Salah and Chillwell and the incident with Onana.

First, with the technology available, why do these decisions take so long? Both looked to the eye to be offside from the freeze frame, assuming it's accurate to when the ball was actually kicked. Something I think there should be more focus on, because I question that sometimes.

If they are intent on reducing time wasting, which I think is a good thing, then it should apply to all areas of the game.

As for the penalty appeal. How can a goalkeeper jump into two players, not be anywhere near the ball and effectively take them both out of the game not get penalized? How?

If any player on the park made a tackle taking a player down and making no contact with the ball, it's a foul all day long and probably a yellow card.

I don't want to join the conspiracy theory band of warriors, but something doesn't add up here...........and corruption and manipulation are two words that come to mind.

By not allowing the discussions and reasoning of the officials to be heard, as they are in other sports, or officials to explain their decisions afterwards, only backs that up in my mind.

I'm not sure why there isn't more pushback on this from the clubs to be honest.

I don't follow other leagues, but do they have the same constant controversial problems in the Bundesliga, Serie A or Ligue 1 for instance?

get the big screen on ,and lets hear what the refs are talking about and how they came to their decision, we have the technology ,there is no excuse, rugby use it,and imo really well, there can be no doubt what they are thinking when they go through a decision , why is football refusing this very simple improvement .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.