VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You understand that most people support tech to help the refs, right?

Most of us on here would love to have a real video replay system with the main objective of aiding officials to make the correct decisions so teams are not disadvantaged.

I think the vast majority of football fans around the world want that.

The issue is that the current iteration of VAR (specifically in the PL) is not setup to do that, largely because of the farcical insistence on the “clear and obvious error” threshold, which does not exist in most other major sport leagues around the world, for very good reasons.
The whole premise of VAR was technology to help the on field ref. What we have is multiple people reffing games and the “team” seemingly unable to disagree with each other on the blatantly obvious. Needs binning off and a serious rethink

The first “Mic’d up” programme of the season in September will be interesting one way or the other.

The non penalty last night will almost certainly be the most in demand audio from the first month that fans will be interested in hearing.

So we either hear it. Or if they don’t use that clip at least we know the rest of the series won’t really be worth bothering with.

In September, seriously? Why can't they do it the day after each round of games? I am guessing there will be several more contested and less embarrassing VAR decisions in that time so this be will be overlooked.

I suppose it will all be a carefully stage-managed nothing-burger.

In September, seriously? Why can't they do it the day after each round of games? I am guessing there will be several more contested and less embarrassing VAR decisions in that time so this be will be overlooked.

Need time to edit out the "ref bantz"

Example:

OliVAR: Mate, why do you give a yellow?

Pawson: I wasn't gonna give anything Mike because it Citeh.

OliVAR: That's what you should have done and then I could have told Sky check complete and that's it.Already had that Scouse twat in my ear about giving the cunts the third goal.

Pawson: Oh bollocks. Gonna have to do this properly then?

OliVAR: Yes you prick. Go over to the monitor then send him off. Were doing Spurs V United next week and Neville will brief you accordingly.

Pawson: *sighs* Yeah. What lucky cunts we are.

The plan is for one programme every month. I assume the thinking was a bit like Goal of the Month where they don’t bother with August and combine it with September as it’s only a part month.

We don't need any other assistance for the ref than a video answer to the simple questions: Is there any reason I cannot award a goal? Is there any reason why I should not send off Number X?

The business of going back nigh on to the warm up to see if there was a sky blue tug on a red shirt ten mins before, and simillar manipulation simply confirms that we have been presented with the shittiest form of video assistance in any sport.

The plan is for one programme every month. I assume the thinking was a bit like Goal of the Month where they don’t bother with August and combine it with September as it’s only a part month.

Oh, I think I know what the thinking is.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you about the whole VAR shitshow. I have always said that referees know the lotg better than anyone else and, if we can only hear how they come to their decisions, we will see that. But that Rashford non-offside goal did for me.

The first “Mic’d up” programme of the season in September will be interesting one way or the other.

The non penalty last night will almost certainly be the most in demand audio from the first month that fans will be interested in hearing.

So we either hear it. Or if they don’t use that clip at least we know the rest of the series won’t really be worth bothering with.

No secret I hate VAR with a passion but if it’s here to stay then we need to change the logic and VAR should ask the ref what they think they saw, and if that’s not what happened then suggest a review on monitor. And it needs to be heard real time in the ground.

VAR to ref “did you see the goalie clatter the player?”

Ref “yes I thought the ball had already been played and the contact from the keeper actually hindered the keeper more”… ok no further review by VAR - the ref may have made a questionable call - it’s his judgement and not an error in itself.

Or ref “the keeper got the ball first then the player”… ok that’s not what happened so suggest you review on the monitor. Here the ref made a mistake in the reasoning for why he didn’t give it.

Although it won’t change offsides and the trigonometry lessons.

Thing is, if the PL or PGMOL wanted to cheat the setup is there....

- The C word is not allowed to be mentioned by pundits or tv channels that have bought the PL package.

- Any manager or player accusations of referee cheating result in a ban.

- Fans are not allowed to protest using banners to highlight the poor use of VAR and officiating.

- VAR is basically done in secret, they could actually be deciding who needs the decision, we wouldn't know!

- Awful decisions are the norm so it just gets added to the list of mistakes.

it's the perfect setup for someone to be cheating, no accountability, no punishments, no one checking!!

It's a closed shop and it's quite alarming the amount of unfettered control PGMOL have over the game.

This really needs a manager to put their heads above the parapet and take their players off after things like last night, only then will something be done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.