VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thing is, if the PL or PGMOL wanted to cheat the setup is there....

- The C word is not allowed to be mentioned by pundits or tv channels that have bought the PL package.

- Any manager or player accusations of referee cheating result in a ban.

- Fans are not allowed to protest using banners to highlight the poor use of VAR and officiating.

- VAR is basically done in secret, they could actually be deciding who needs the decision, we wouldn't know!

- Awful decisions are the norm so it just gets added to the list of mistakes.

it's the perfect setup for someone to be cheating, no accountability, no punishments, no one checking!!

It's a closed shop and it's quite alarming the amount of unfettered control PGMOL have over the game.

This really needs a manager to put their heads above the parapet and take their players off after things like last night, only then will something be done.

Don't forget the "independent" review panel appointed by the PL, PGMOL and including a few ex-pros who need a few quid.

Don't forget the "independent" review panel appointed by the PL, PGMOL and including a few ex-pros who need a few quid.

No idea who’s on the panel this season. But I believe Jermaine Jenus was last year. Doubt he’s desperate for the cash. In fact I’m surprised he had time to fit it in, he’s on the TV that fucking much.

Thing is, if the PL or PGMOL wanted to cheat the setup is there....

- The C word is not allowed to be mentioned by pundits or tv channels that have bought the PL package.

- Any manager or player accusations of referee cheating result in a ban.

- Fans are not allowed to protest using banners to highlight the poor use of VAR and officiating.

- VAR is basically done in secret, they could actually be deciding who needs the decision, we wouldn't know!

- Awful decisions are the norm so it just gets added to the list of mistakes.

it's the perfect setup for someone to be cheating, no accountability, no punishments, no one checking!!

It's a closed shop and it's quite alarming the amount of unfettered control PGMOL have over the game.

This really needs a manager to put their heads above the parapet and take their players off after things like last night, only then will something be done.

And if any manager did so, you can be absolutely certain that they would be charged with " bringing the game into disrepute" by the PL / FA or whoever look to protect their own interests.

No secret I hate VAR with a passion but if it’s here to stay then we need to change the logic and VAR should ask the ref what they think they saw, and if that’s not what happened then suggest a review on monitor. And it needs to be heard real time in the ground.

VAR to ref “did you see the goalie clatter the player?”

Ref “yes I thought the ball had already been played and the contact from the keeper actually hindered the keeper more”… ok no further review by VAR - the ref may have made a questionable call - it’s his judgement and not an error in itself.

Or ref “the keeper got the ball first then the player”… ok that’s not what happened so suggest you review on the monitor. Here the ref made a mistake in the reasoning for why he didn’t give it.

Although it won’t change offsides and the trigonometry lessons.

The ESPN guy agreed with everyone else that it should have been a pen but somebody asked him to second guess what possible reason he thought the VAR might have had to not recommend an onfiejd review and his answer surprised me.

He said the only thing he could imagine was that the on field ref convinced the VAR that he’d had a perfect view of it and it fell just inside the unofficial extra leaway that ‘keepers have traditionally always enjoyed when clearing outfield players out of the way.

It surprised me that a conversation like that could have taken place. Obviously we’ve no idea at this stage if it did. But I would have thought the referee would be instructed to hold fire while the VAR decides what he thinks, rather than chirping away in his ear that he was right.

And if any manager did so, you can be absolutely certain that they would be charged with " bringing the game into disrepute" by the PL / FA or whoever look to protect their own interests.
And who charges PiGMOL with bringing the game into disrepute when Jonny Moss has to apologise for another ‘crass’ refereeing shambles?

We need to get the mics on theses twats so we can hear it, is still can’t believe that wasn’t given, they should be sacked not dropped .
The verbals in the women's WC are wholly inadequate. We don't need to know what the outcome is, we should be informed as to what they are looking at and how they have arrived at the decision, and only then would be wee whether the VAR decision matches the written LotG. The transcript over the Wolves pen would have been enlightening to say the least.

Hope your little girl is OK.

The thing is, though, they shouldn't be gettng it wrong. Which is why the cock-ups should get commented on.

cheers bud, was juts a hip and hearing check up - she's all good.

Can all agree it shouldn't be getting big decisions wrong - but there seems to be an infinity of grey areas that it's difficult to have a blueprint for every incident, now that for me was a 100% penalty but i've seen others argue that it was just a collision after the ball had been played and didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity etc.
even on replay and with the help of tech it's still human decision and so many will have views either way.

How about this for a solution. If the Ref wants a second look then it's down to him only. No interference from VAR. If the ref has missed something blatantly obvious then that just has to be accepted. It's a middle ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.