VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That every set of fans think everything's corrupt when they don't like a decision? I've known that for a long time.

As Johnson said in that article I still can't get my head around (what was the point?): "Fans want total consistency, but VAR was never intended to produce this. Maybe it was lost in the message from the start;" (my emphasis) "instead, it has exposed just how many of the game's laws are open to interpretation".

The implementation of VAR has been hopeless and the chickens are coming home to roost. Leaving aside the fact that consistency can be improved with training, if it isn't about total consistency, it shouldn't be about total accuracy either. Fans can rightly ask why a goal for a team can be called back for a mm offside, or a foul in the build-up when a penalty or red card offence isn't corrected for the equivalent minimal event.

Personally, I don't have a problem with "clear and obvious", let the referee and his team referee, and have two, five, ten interventions a year for "howlers". But it should be applied to all interventions. That's probably just me, though.

I think the powers that be will be happy that every fan base thinks it's corrupt, even fans of teams that have benefited enormously from it, its just background noise

I do predict that Forest's card will be well and truly marked now, , should they have spoken up? I don't think so quiet diplomacy might have got them more, most clubs know tis and most clubs including City have had bad experiences with VAR

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.