VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soucek's handball shouldn't have even gone to VAR but to be fair it didn't take long to come to a conclusion. You could point to Arsenal's winner to be a similar call and that didn't come under any scrutiny.

Soucek's handball shouldn't have even gone to VAR but to be fair it didn't take long to come to a conclusion. You could point to Arsenal's winner to be a similar call and that didn't come under any scrutiny.
I thought the Arsenal one was checked and overturned?

I don't ever remember the criteria for handball ever mentioning 'looking at the ball'. Jesus moved his hole body towards the ball, made contact with his upper arm and gained a clear advantage. It shouldn't have been anything other than handball. The PiGMOL are just making it up as they go along. It isn't VAR that needs scrapping, it Red Webb's band of merry men fuckwitt's.

I don't ever remember the criteria for handball ever mentioning 'looking at the ball'. Jesus moved his hole body towards the ball, made contact with his upper arm and gained a clear advantage. It shouldn't have been anything other than handball. The PiGMOL are just making it up as they go along. It isn't VAR that needs scrapping, it Red Webb's band of merry men fuckwitt's.
I wasn't sure about Arsenal's I thought it hadn't been looked at with VAR but re-checked it and it had.

Last edited:
I think this video shows the frustration with VAR is largely the inconsistency with application of the rules by the referees and VARs, and the failure of the league and PGMOL to acknowledge—and make changes to mitigate—the consistent errors, variation of outcomes, and/or flaws with the technology.

Gallagher gives his “I can understand why the two decisions were different” defence of two very similar handball incidents involving VAR leading to two very different outcomes.

Some fans would always be unhappy, I freely admit that, but I do believe the anti-VAR fervour would be much more isolate if fans could see them actually trying to substantively improve the system and processes, rather than roll out initiatives merely meant to gaslight fans and legitimise what already is.

I can’t remember the Bournemouth one now, even though it was only last week. But for the sake of argument, I’ll accept it was similar to the Arsenal one and probably should have had the same outcome.

I suppose it’s the age old problem that has always existed of a human being being asked to judge whether another human being has deliberately done something.

My point wasn’t comparing the Bournemouth goal with the Arsenal one though. It was in reply to the guy saying the West Ham and Arsenal ones were similar. When it’s not an opinion but a matter of fact that they can’t possibly be compared, as the handball law is different for a goalscorer than any other player.

Absolutely, Lineker wondered how the two handballs had different outcomes, and suggested the Law on handball was in a mess. I think the mess stems from the idiots blowing the whistle and viewing a screen that come to two opposite conclusions. Until we hear and see on the stadium screen what is being heard, seen and said in the VAR shed we will get PiGMOL's finest redrafting the handball law week in and week out.

I await what handball deliberations will be made in the final next week. Was Jack's handball last year any more or less than Gabby's handball yesterday?

Keeping it is the lesser of two evils for me, and the Soucek handball incident backs it up.

Jesus leaned down and used his arm, even though it was tucked into the side of his body. In short, he moved his arm towards the ball in order to control it. That’s handball, even if it’s next to his body.

If he hadn’t leaned into it and the ball simply hit his arm, no problem.

Oliver could have given the title to Arsenal IF WHU had managed to grab a 2nd before Rodri stepped up! It was a BIG DECISION to ignore VAR on a ball that obviously DID hit his arm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.