VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s great to give credit for goals not being casually called offside….if you can identify the margin of error for the system which allows or rules out goals every week. What is it @BlueHammer85 ?

I think they give a tolerance level of about 5cm - but we’re seeing it’s working loads better than the naked eye of the lino. Week in week out perfectly good goals are flagged offside - only for VAR to show it was on.

I think they give a tolerance level of about 5cm - but we’re seeing it’s working loads better than the naked eye of the lino. Week in week out perfectly good goals are flagged offside - only for VAR to show it was on.
The VAR system uses Sky's 60 Frames per Second feed.

If you work the numbers through the approximate distance travelled by a football between frames is around 8 inches.
All this talk of cm's and toes etc is just bullshit. The system is nowhere near as accurate as they like to tell us.
The line thats drawn should be 8 inches or so wide and anything within that band is basically uncertain and the benfit of doubt should go to the attacking team, in my opinion.

There's no technical justification i.e interpolation etc that can nail it down to cm precision. Its basically all bullshit.

btw The goal line technolgy uses camera's that have much higher frame rates and is therefore inherently more accurate. Maybe to a couple cm's but even that is a bit smoke and mirrors.

VAR is bullshit and is being used to influence results.

The VAR system uses Sky's 60 Frames per Second feed.

If you work the numbers through the approximate distance travelled by a football between frames is around 8 inches.
All this talk of cm's and toes etc is just bullshit. The system is nowhere near as accurate as they like to tell us.
The line thats drawn should be 8 inches or so wide and anything within that band is basically uncertain and the benfit of doubt should go to the attacking team, in my opinion.

There's no technical justification i.e interpolation etc that can nail it down to cm precision. Its basically all bullshit.

btw The goal line technolgy uses camera's that have much higher frame rates and is therefore inherently more accurate. Maybe to a couple cm's but even that is a bit smoke and mirrors.

VAR is bullshit and is being used to influence results.

So you prefer old standard lino rather than tech which can get a (not 100%) but more accurate decision correct ?

Far easier to ‘influence’ results than without VAR - just flag well offside against whoever they want and no questions asked.

I think VAR could be used as I said above, you draw the line including the error margin and then give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

I reckon there's plenty of good goals being chalked off (usually involving teams that don't play in Red) that should - and would be given using the method I'v described.

Would hate to go back to casually seeing perfectly good goals ruled offside - apologies if that’s such a ludicrous thought.
But that's the whole point of VAR, so what would be the point of discussing it when it does what it's supposed to?

But that's the whole point of VAR, so what would be the point of discussing it when it does what it's supposed to?

I think it’s healthy for a thread to highlight the pros and cons, too often one dubious or incorrect decision by VAR and the whole world blows up, pages and pages of how it’s all corrupt and killed the game. Yet when it gets decisions correct (vast majority) of time , then nothing is said. Just bringing a bit of balance.

I think it’s healthy for a thread to highlight the pros and cons, too often one dubious or incorrect decision by VAR and the whole world blows up, pages and pages of how it’s all corrupt and killed the game. Yet when it gets decisions correct (vast majority) of time , then nothing is said. Just bringing a bit of balance.
Pretty obvious why people will want to question "dubious or incorrect" decisions by VAR!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.