VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to be the ref.

The rag was doing exactly what he is used to doing, ie fouling the opposing player.

The ref can only see a foul by Casimero as he clearly stamps on Akanj's foot , and yet proceeds to award a free kick to the rags.

How in god's name, can that be a free kick to the rags ?

Corruption, or high level bias and /or incompetence ??
Clearly that was incompetence. Casimero went down as if he'd been the one fouled, and the ref obviously guessed that he was nearer the ball, so was probably fouled.

I am amazed that it's become a certain red on these pages though - there's no way that's given as a red in most games. Bernardo would be up there with Richard Dunne for sendings off if it was. It's a definite yellow, but I think it's yellow enough to be overturned if the ref had given a red on the field.

IMG-3665.jpg
I could accept the decision if it had altered the trajectory of the ball but as it didn't, why is it a deemed a penalty worthy offence?

Clearly that was incompetence. Casimero went down as if he'd been the one fouled, and the ref obviously guessed that he was nearer the ball, so was probably fouled.

I am amazed that it's become a certain red on these pages though - there's no way that's given as a red in most games. Bernardo would be up there with Richard Dunne for sendings off if it was. It's a definite yellow, but I think it's yellow enough to be overturned if the ref had given a red on the field.
Watching on the TV when the ref gave them the foul, I automatically thought that Akanji had lunged in after the ball - I think the ref's forget that we can watch close up replays.

I could accept the decision if it had altered the trajectory of the ball but as it didn't, why is it a deemed a penalty worthy offence?
Because the current handball rules—and use of VAR—allow them to make whatever decision they want, regardless of the actual incident.

That’s why we see very similar (if not nearly identical) handball incidents result in wildly different referee decisions.

The inconsistency is a feature, not a bug.

Watching on the TV when the ref gave them the foul, I automatically thought that Akanji had lunged in after the ball - I think the ref's forget that we can watch close up replays.
The ref was a lot closer, but still about 20 metres and viewing it from a similar angle to the TV. You'd hope they were better, but I suspect, rather than some evil plot, he had the same opinion as you.

Because the current handball rules—and use of VAR—allow them to make whatever decision they want, regardless of the actual incident.

That’s why we see very similar (if not nearly identical) handball incidents result in wildly different referee decisions.

The inconsistency is a feature, not a bug.
I know it's a penalty by the letter of the law but I bet even the United fans were embarrassed by that - or maybe not.

I wasn't arguing that the incident should have resulted in a red or yellow card, but that Casimero was the player committing the foul, despite the free kick being given in united's favour.

Imo there is no legimate reason for such an error by the officials.

Yeah, the ref has thought Casemiro has stepped across and got his body inbetween Akanji and the ball and then been fouled. Clearly that's not the case, but Casemiro's acting managed to deceive the ref who probably reacted too quickly if anything.

The worst thing about var in this situation is that they can check to see if it's a red card, decide to leave it as it was a yellow (in their opinion), but then still leave united with the freekick. It's ludicrous.

Fuck 'clear and obvious', just fix the decision.

I wasn't arguing that the incident should have resulted in a red or yellow card, but that Casimero was the player committing the foul, despite the free kick being given in united's favour.

Imo there is no legimate reason for such an error by the officials.
Hence why I picked incompetence from your list of reasons. VAR looked at a potential red, which means they flagged up the error to the ref, but there's nothing else they can do. Casemiro, was snide, and bought that. When I saw it live, I thought it was a foul by Akanji, so I'll give the ref the benefit (although I'd hope most of the time, they're better than me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.