Vincent Kompany (merged)

Re: Vincent Kompany

He's played a lot of games earlier in his career at CB, it's true, but the germans, dutch, belgians that I've spoken to, said that he never fulfilled his promise in the role, that his defending was not reliable enough for the top level. I have to say that I am suprized that people seem to have forgotten the superb form he displayed for us in the DM role until Christmas. I could have sworn he had the fans and analysts positively drooling.

bizzbo said:
He's played a lot of games earlier in his career at CB, it's true, but the germans, dutch, belgians that I've spoken to, said that he never fulfilled his promise in the role, that his defending was not reliable enough for the top level. I have to say that I am suprized that people seem to have forgotten the superb form he displayed for us in the DM role until Christmas. I could have sworn he had the fans and analysts positively drooling.

i agree he was fantastic at dm but i think in the long run he is our commanding centre half.

bizzbo said:
Yeah, he did do at first, without a doubt. It's all a matter of opinion, which is why football's so great, but personally i'm not sure his passing is quite good enough for midfield. He gives the ball away quite carelessly at times. That's really my main issue with him in midfield. It's puzzling though because i've seen him drill 50 yard diagonal balls onto a sixpence, yet he stuggles with the simple balls too often. And to be a top class DM, you can't afford to do that.

bizzbo said:
I disagree with the whole vinnie is a CB not a DM argument. For his first 8 games his form in the DM role was as good as anyone in europe. He had a couple of good games at CB, but never convinced to the same extent. If his form suffered later, perhaps it was more due to him being shuffled around and asked to play with an injured big toe on his stronger foot.

You are correct. It fucks me off that most people on here seem to rate Vinnie as a defensive mid based on his performances later in the season when he was absolutely fucked and was pretty much taped together. Vinni ewas immense in the first half of the seaosn at defensive mid, he held the midfield together almost single handedly

LOl at the 'one word - tribal football' comment, that's genius

As have said this before and been rubbished but he is our best DM.
He did also look our best CB when he played there but great DM. Pushed further up after Nigel arrived and added a little height which helped when we lumped the ball up.
Quality DM but will need to fight for his place especially with him injured at start of season

Over my Dead Body. He's as good as ireland to me.Totally committed to whichever position he plays in(some ppl make such a fuss about which position they want to play. If it weren't for his broken toe, we would have beaten Fulham at home, Qualified for europa league and beaten Hamburg in the away leg.

im not sure where vinnys best position is especially as i've only seen him play CB for about 4 games was it?, there is no doubting though he is a quality player and 1 we must keep however i think hughes sees his future as a midfielder who can cover in defence, my reason for thinking that is because hughes is persisting in getting another defender which would mean we'd have toure. . .ned. . .dunne(who it seems may stay for now anyway). . .another! put kompany in there that makes 5! we wanted "time to think" over signing delph, who would have complimented our exsisting midfielders, i think hughes sees kompany as direct competition to de-jong and barry first and foremost, just imo and im probably wrong

hes not good enough to be a top class cb hes to hesitant,positioning is poor and he gets caught out marking at set pieces,he lasted the first half against the rags at cb but at times looked lost and out of his depth and was then moved into midfield for the second half,he also struggles with injuries and is one of those players who will miss fairly large chunks of the season every year,as a holding midfielder de jong is much better as hes more mobile and disciplined.i wouldnt be suprised with this in mind if he does go because he will struggle to get in the team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.