We can still qualify and it is very possible

Chippy_boy said:
George Hannah said:
cibaman said:
In simple terms is it that we need to get more points than CSKA and not draw 0-0?
or put another way - if Bayern beat Moscow a score draw in Rome would see us through

Or yet another way, we need to score and better CSKA's result.

I think we're almost there. How about:

We need to score, not lose, and better CSKA's result.

As a general observation, surely the current scenario highlight's the ridiculousness of UEFA's criteria:

In a two way tie between ourselves and Roma, a 1-1 draw puts us through. In a three way with CSKA added, a 1-1 draw in Rome puts Roma through. Illogical nonsense, but not at all surprising. It demonstrates the bureaucratic mindset of UEFA officials that's at the heart of much of their decision making. They have a complete lack of regard for the impact of their policies.

An Irish politician, renowned for his love of details, plans and strategies, once commented on a proposal, 'It's fine in practice, but does it work in theory?'

Same mindset in UEFA, same mindset underpinning FFP.

Pep cares too much about every match. And Bayern have a comfortable lead in Bundesliga. Plus, they'll have most injured players fit by then, which means they will surely win.

We just need to score early against Roma. That should see us through.

FredTilson said:
Pep cares too much about every match. And Bayern have a comfortable lead in Bundesliga. Plus, they'll have most injured players fit by then, which means they will surely win.

Can't see CSKA beating Bayern. Whilst ourselves and Roma may have struggled against them, they're miles behind the level of Bayern and no matter how much desire they have I can't see them defeating Bayern in Munich. The good thing for us is that Bayern have numerous players returning from injury and also numerous players who will need game time in general. They're going to need to give players opportunities and fortunately for us their "fringe" players are still absolute quality. It's whether we can do the job in Rome. I'd suggest we watch the Roma v Bayern game, analyse how they played and try to play in a similar style. If we pack the midfield to avoid conceding sloppy goals then we should be fine. I just hope the ref isn't going to give in to a passionate home crowd and a team that will try to win free kicks in nearly every tackle.

Ballymagash Blue said:
Chippy_boy said:
George Hannah said:
or put another way - if Bayern beat Moscow a score draw in Rome would see us through

Or yet another way, we need to score and better CSKA's result.

I think we're almost there. How about:

We need to score, not lose, and better CSKA's result.

Superfluous

Score and better CSKA.

supercity88 said:
FredTilson said:

Can't see CSKA beating Bayern. Whilst ourselves and Roma may have struggled against them, they're miles behind the level of Bayern and no matter how much desire they have I can't see them defeating Bayern in Munich. The good thing for us is that Bayern have numerous players returning from injury and also numerous players who will need game time in general. They're going to need to give players opportunities and fortunately for us their "fringe" players are still absolute quality. It's whether we can do the job in Rome. I'd suggest we watch the Roma v Bayern game, analyse how they played and try to play in a similar style. If we pack the midfield to avoid conceding sloppy goals then we should be fine. I just hope the ref isn't going to give in to a passionate home crowd and a team that will try to win free kicks in nearly every tackle.

It's really intriguing how both teams will approach this game. An early goal for us would put the cat among the pigeons. But I can't see us going for it too much, probably just play it as a "standard" counter attacking away game. If we do score they'll have to come at us. They might even decide that attacking us is their best option and forget about the 0-0, at least until late in the game.

I think Bayern would beat CSKA at least 8 times out of 10 and draw at least one of the other two. Even in a dead rubber for them. But a CSKA defeat isn't guaranteed. And it might not arrive until late in the game. Will City and Roma change tactics if CSKA are drawing in Munich after 70mins? Would we try to protect a scoring draw and hope for a Bayern win or go all out for the victory?

Hopefully Manuel will not be listening to the Italian version of Classic FM.

cibaman said:
supercity88 said:
FredTilson said:

It's really intriguing how both teams will approach this game. An early goal for us would put the cat among the pigeons. But I can't see us going for it too much, probably just play it as a "standard" counter attacking away game. If we do score they'll have to come at us. They might even decide that attacking us is their best option and forget about the 0-0, at least until late in the game.

I think Bayern would beat CSKA at least 8 times out of 10 and draw at least one of the other two. Even in a dead rubber for them. But a CSKA defeat isn't guaranteed. And it might not arrive until late in the game. Will City and Roma change tactics if CSKA are drawing in Munich after 70mins? Would we try to protect a scoring draw and hope for a Bayern win or go all out for the victory?

Hopefully Manuel will not be listening to the Italian version of Classic FM.

We won't give a seconds thought to the other game, we will try to beat Roma. Remember here that we are talking about an Italian team. They will not go for the win. They'll be compact, defensive and force us to break them down. Roma are through with a 0-0 draw depending on other results... but I think it will be them that look to counter. Why bother trying to beat us unless the situation alters in Munich.

I think Pellegrini will get things spot on. We have to score, so we won't go totally defensive. At the end of the day whether we are 0-0 or 1-0 down our brief remains the same, we have to score. Ideally we get the first goal and can then pick Roma off as they will then have to score twice and not concede. That should play into our hands.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.