What are City playing at?

cleavers said:
manchester blue said:
The problem on here is that posters react to a hack who dares saying anything bad about City calling them all the c**ts under the sun and if they say something nice they are the dogs. Winter is the latest.

Sunday Supplement is brought up every week. Sky Sports News every day. Just ignore them, don't click on their websites, don't buy their papers. It's really that simple.

I agree, and it would help if people stop posting their articles, and linking the stories on here, all it does is fuel the fire, they love looking on here and seeing a n other article with 10 pages written about it.

There's nothing going to change until City finally win something, one day.
Sorry for being rude but that's a crap idea. A forum is a place for fans to vent together

What would you have journalists do, ignore the only story in town? Of course their opinions are becoming more extreme, they have to keep reheating the same story and there's only so many times they can say 'City are ruining football' without reaching for their bumper book of ludicrous synonyms!

The City PR Department aren't daft, they know that with every fresh ridiculous analogy and every new piece of hyperbolic nonsense certain elements of the press are painting themselves into a corner and soon they will have to extricate themselves from it.

A bad news story about City is read and responded to by supporters of one club, a miserable tirade about how we're ruining football is read and enjoyed by supporters of 91 clubs, of course editors are going to appeal to the mass market, they don't care about City or a balanced argument, they care about numbers.

The famous City sense of humour is the most powerful weapon we have, next time a red says you're buying the league respond with 'Brilliant, does that mean with all that money you lot spent you only hired the fucking thing?'

Can I just say that we should all sit back, and ready our best sanctimonious smirks and knowing smiles.

In the next few months I think we are going to hear more about the developments around the ground (at least I bloody hope so ;-) )

I am also pretty certain that the youth developments plans are going to rock a few peoples ducks off the proverbial water.

And in the very near future you will see England with 4 or perhaps 5 or at an outside chance as many as 7 City players playing in the same squad, some of them the best young talent around.

Then we can sit back and put the smiles/smirks into play.

And thats before we have won anything ;-)

Manchester City FC

Saving English Football Since 2009

We are gonna be the team everyone is against all season, the team who they are just waiting to fail. Read the article yesterday saying we have a team full of BLING players!! Arent all players like that anyway?

The press are all on the 'stop wasting money' 'austerity' 'tighten your belts' bandwagon, same as the government and it just so happens that we are spending BIG.

Best thing i've seen is that 'MANCHESTER CITY, RUINING FOOTBALL SINCE 2008' banner, well funny.

Theres an element of the persecution complex among City fans which is hardly surprising considering the attention we get in the press. However, its easily put into context when you consider that were the big story in town and on any slow news day, hacks are going to default to writing drivel about us. Our only crime is that were newsworthy and for every twat with a presscard (and loads more without), we'll be bread and butter for the forseeable future. Therefore as far as I can see we can do one of two things, bleat and complain about every anti- City comment that the sensationalist, predictably vitriolic wankers want to throw at us or, take it as part of the game, not let it affect us and win the title within the next three years.

These journalists are just trying to become celebrities, they get far too much time on tv, especially sky and on the radio. One thing that stands out to me is that you rarely hear city fans moaning on the phone-ins. Any team that has done well in recent years has had to spend big money to do it, it is just that we have a lot more!! Roll on the next few seasons and let's enjoy the success that will hopefully come because it has been a long time coming.
Don't rise to the bait from these journos, we deserve our time in the sun.

I seem to remember that a certain section of Bluemooners were critical of our ex-Head of Communications (Paul Tyrrell) and his way of dealing with the Press.

People were quite happy to slate the Club's old policy of being in the journalists's faces everytime the Club got negative articles.

To be honest, in comparison to what we're reading these days, it is fair to say that the Club's response was a bit disproportionate and should have been more sensible sometimes.

But I am wondering if the Club's current PR strategy is valid, or indeed if they have one at all. Whether we like it or not, City do not have an experienced PR chief, i.e someone who has been a journo him/herself and has the right connections .... and more importantly, someone who truly knows what being a journalist really is (You have to wonder why Chris Bailey "Head of Content" is really there for). I agree with "Keith Moon", the way they handled Sparky's dismissal proves that they truly do not know anything about PR. If we listen back to the different press conference/interviews soundbites from Cook/Mancini/Khaldoon et al., it is clear there was no consistency .... i.e noboby had briefed them, nobody went and said "this is the official Club line and you stick to it", nobody went and secured a proper press exclusive whereby a Club official would have gone to speak to a journalist and explained the a/b/c reasons behind the sacking and the closed the shop. Other journos would only have had to quote what would have been said in the original interview ... and that would have been the end of it. Journalists trust each other .... but they don't trust an OFFICIAL website ....

Also, is City's lack of aggression towards certain journalists linked with the (well-known) fact that someone from the PR team at City is involved with a member of the Press?

jfmaille said:
I seem to remember that a certain section of Bluemooners were critical of our ex-Head of Communications (Paul Tyrrell) and his way of dealing with the Press.

People were quite happy to slate the Club's old policy of being in the journalists's faces everytime the Club got negative articles.

To be honest, in comparison to what we're reading these days, it is fair to say that the Club's response was a bit disproportionate and should have been more sensible sometimes.

But I am wondering if the Club's current PR strategy is valid, or indeed if they have one at all. Whether we like it or not, City do not have an experienced PR chief, i.e someone who has been a journo him/herself and has the right connections .... and more importantly, someone who truly knows what being a journalist really is (You have to wonder why Chris Bailey "Head of Content" is really there for). I agree with "Keith Moon", the way they handled Sparky's dismissal proves that they truly do not know anything about PR. If we listen back to the different press conference/interviews soundbites from Cook/Mancini/Khaldoon et al., it is clear there was no consistency .... i.e noboby had briefed them, nobody went and said "this is the official Club line and you stick to it", nobody went and secured a proper press exclusive whereby a Club official would have gone to speak to a journalist and explained the a/b/c reasons behind the sacking and the closed the shop. Other journos would only have had to quote what would have been said in the original interview ... and that would have been the end of it. Journalists trust each other .... but they don't trust an OFFICIAL website ....

Also, is City's lack of aggression towards certain journalists linked with the (well-known) fact that someone from the PR team at City is involved with a member of the Press?

Good post mate. You clearly have some experience of the world of PR.

Like you, I too believe we are a bit short of credibility and presence in our media dealings. I still believe we need an "Alistair Campbell" type figure to take the media on, rather than constantly being reactive to them.

Maybe Mike Summerbee or Franny Lee could help in this direction, as they are usually very pro-active with any City matters in the media.

Other than that, how's about appointing a "heavyweight" from Fleet street as our representative?

I'm sure they would be more wary of a hard-bitten journo than they are the present time dealing with Ms Kloss...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.