What do you miss about Maine Road?

location, location, location.....

The new ground is great and what a ground should be in the modern era, but I miss Maine Rd for everything that surrounds the match itself.

Good choice of Pubs with their own character (mainly in Sherwood or Lord Lyon/Nelson myself) Camel Kebab shop serving cheap tasty currys or a spot of unlucky fired kitten if you fancies that.

After the game having a couple of drinks and then being able to walk back into town with several pubs on the way or lots and lots of buses...it was just easier than now

either get off a quick as you can and fight for a bus, or stay for beers afterwards and then fight for a taxi????

Standing on the Kippax.
Sitting on the Platt Lane benches before they were reserved for away fans.
The Albert pub just off Wilmslow Rd in Rusholme.

The feeling of being in Manchester, not some moonscape area that I'd never needed to go to before in a lifetime of living in Manchester.

the atmosphere at maine rd was a lot better,the kippax singing bluemoon at full belt used to make the hairs on your neck stand on end.

Does anyone else miss watching Tony Book warming up with the players before the game? Its not quite the same now watching Bowen and co giving their orders, for my liking I think they are training the players a little too hard and thats why we are getting so many injuries

feedthegoat2007 said:
the atmosphere at maine rd was a lot better,the kippax singing bluemoon at full belt used to make the hairs on your neck stand on end.

I'd go along with this. Maybe I'm seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses, but the atmos at MR seemed a lot better than at CoMs. Perhaps that will change when the trophies start coming in by the lorry load and we've actually got something to cheer about.

i never went to main road.. but i love going to the coms and imo its us who make the atmos. at the moment i cant wait to get back in there. i hope you are all the same, as in my heart THIS IS THE YEAR! THE REVOLUTION! i will have my banana. my flag. my scarf. my shouting at the arse ref, my singing as loud as i can ( out of tune of course due to being tone deaf) my winding up of the other managers ( sit near the dug out) give our boys as much support as i can. Hope to see you all doing your best and beyond too. CTID

for me walking down platt lane in jan or feb freezing cold then getting in the kippax and being warm cos of the crush

KentBlue said:
feedthegoat2007 said:

I'd go along with this. Maybe I'm seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses, but the atmos at MR seemed a lot better than at CoMs. Perhaps that will change when the trophies start coming in by the lorry load and we've actually got something to cheer about.

The thing about the atmosphere is we all remember the days an evenings when MR was rocking, but at a LOT of games especially in the final few years the atmosphere at MR was as bad as it is at a lot of games in CoMS, (the mackems taunting us wit 3 nil and you still wont sing at Easter the last year at MR and the year they went down with a record low points total being a prime example).
The games where MR was rocking in the last couple of years (3-1, Millwar in the champions seaso under KK for example), can be caompared with the games when CoMS was rocking (Hamburg, 4-1 etc), and for me when WE raise our game, the players raise theirs, but where as at MR you either stood with your mates on the terraces or in the latter days you knew most of those that sat around you and they would join in if you started something and you would join in when they started something, we are still to reach that point in the East of the City.

standing in the old kippax,when i was 15 and getting half a pie(possibly meat and potato) on my head,and watching a 2p hitting my mates dad head, off the away fans!! happy days!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.